What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

KosmoKramer

Blossom end rot in Coco

Blossom end rot in Coco

Got 2 Big Beef about 6'6" tall, in 5 gal Hempy buckets of coco, feeding Heads 6/9 with 7ml of Cal/mag plus, tap water, Drip Clean, pH'ed to around 5.7-5.8.

Grew like crazy for the first month, put out tons of flowers. Seem to be getting lots of fruits with end rot last week or 2. Was originally only using 5ml C/M+, but after getting a few initial fruits with B.E.R. I bumped it up to 7ml. Seems strange that even with the added C/M+ I still seem to have effected tomatoes.

Anyone have some ideas on how to cure this. Should I bump up the C/M+ to 10ml per gal like suggested on the label? Am I using TOO much, or can you use too much? Was maybe thinking of tweaking my pH up a bit. Or maybe a good flush for a day or 2 then resume feeding? Kind of perplexed.

Any suggestions more than welcomed. Already tossed 8 or so 1" tomatoes this week in the trash. Hate to see the fruits of my labor go to waste.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I had a similar problem with BER in my tomatoes growing in soil...First, I removed all the fruits and flowers. Then I made an egg shell tea and when the new fruit came in, so far so good. I don't know how this would work in coco though.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Tre-that's beautiful! Nice work.
I recently overfed half of my babies....been running them since October 2010 indoors, moved them outside during the first week of May....been steadily producing since the 3rd week and now....as I was attempting to feed my nearby giant lima's I put the fertilizer too close to some of the tomatoes and they're all looking bad.
I would like to take cuttings off of the healthy branches...without flowers...rooting them and getting them back into production. Would this make sense or would I just bring the severely burned plant with me through cloning?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Yeah, I suppose there's no harm in taking the cuttings and trying to grow them. Looks like I'll be taking some cuttings this afternoon. Thanks.

B

bonecarver_OG

in the beginning of summer, if i break a branch, i normally just stick it in the ground and cover it with a white plastic bottle with the bottom cut off, and the tap off. if it seems to be too humid i just punch a few more holes in the plastic bottle. it normally doesnt take more than 2 weeks to root.

during hotter times, i put the branch in a pot with some normal soil and stash it in the shade somewhere.

tomatoes root very easy. but after rooting, they seem to take time to start producing tomatoes again. but if u got a long season, you can guarantee late tomatoes, since the older tomato plants seem to loose vigour before the fresher clones.

L

LouDog420

Starting to put out a half dozen a day or so now from my veggie garden!

Lots of canning coming up :tiphat:

G

Guest 150314

i suck at growing tomatoes, i need to devise some sort of trellis or support they are falling all over themselves
DSC00285.jpg

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
...cool sunless spring didn't help mine much, neither did the cool sunless summer.

I built these raised beds and put 5 tomato plants in a 5' x 7' box. 50% sifted dirt, 50% 3 yr. old compost, and about 5 lbs. ground oyster shells...
the box behind was planted same time, with a lesser concentration of oyster shell and compost; their growth was unspectacular.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i suck at growing tomatoes, i need to devise some sort of trellis or support they are falling all over themselves
DSC00285.jpg
hey man ,,
id be wanting to put a post each end of the bed and a wire from post to post ,,
then strings down the wire to the bottom of your plants ,,
train the plants up the string ,
youll have to prune them as you do ,,
but its the best way to maximise your space and tomatoes ..

ohh i do notice a marijuana plant to the left bottom of the screen ,, hehe ..

mlmkvr

small garden this year, had to work a bunch of weekends in may.
Just one sweet 100 and a red currant.

Still waiting on the sweet 100 but the currants are already producing, think I'll be growing these again.

Just a tiny burst of flavor, would be real good for hors d'oeuvres

B

bonecarver_OG

nice one greenmanggo :D i can see 2 weed plants ;) the plants look good! tomatoes need anything to use as a support, you can also put stakes in the soil around the plants, and put horizontal canes every feet, and keep tying the branches to the canes. i make cages like this. i usually dont have to prune much at all. i jsut let them grow, and tie them up, but once they are at a heigth 2 feet above my head, i cut the tips to stop the vertical growth.

peace

kgb424

green zebra tomato's questions

green zebra tomato's questions

I bought some green zebra tomato's plants, about a month ago,they were in 4" pots and root bound,I transplanted them in the ground, they have grown about 5" inches taller and 4" inches wider, the info card that comes with them say they are mid season,what is the tomato growing season, there is no flowers yet, can you make tomato's flower, never grew them before. is it too late in the year for them,I don't think they will last the winter, it gets pretty cold and snows here. I was hoping on eating some tomato's this year

sprout

Great lokking fruit! Sadly my tomato plants (20 of em) were severely hit by psyllids and Tomato Russet Mites. Plants looked really nice and lush to about six feet, then whammo! By the time you see the signs its too late. Im really bummed about this years newest plague to the garden. Next year ill be ready for the little bastards!
Hey Midnight, Moreton is a favorite of mine, and its sister Ramapo. How come you picked it so green?

Latest posts

Latest posts