What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"I have to go to the bathroom"

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Very impressive and efficient setup you have going. Good luck with all those genes. I can't wait to see what those Satoris and White Satins do too...

-Funk

Thanks for the complement FB - comming from you, it means alot to this old newbie. Can't wait to see what strains Mike brings out this year for Mandala. I probably should have cracked all 20 of the mandala beans to guarantee finding the important phenos, but i was paronoid i'd lose the whole batch to in-experience - guess i gotta trust myself a little more & "Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead" sort of thing.

indicameds

Looking great, loving the idea of putting the bud on the back burner and focusing on breeding some quality gear for your future grows. sounds like fun, plus even seeded indoor of the gear your running will be dank.

Thanks guy's for all the newbie support - here's a pic of one of the Reeferman Hashplants that looks like a Sumo Wrestler to me. Don't know the sex yet, but it has the fattest saw-tooth leaves of any plant i've seen. I'm really hoping it's a male - i could start my own line of Sumo Low Riders with this one.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Old Yeller - I like your clean, laboratory like conditions. I strive to be the same way. I believe it makes a difference in the end when paying attention to details, you become more attune to certain things. It's nice that everything in your room is hard surface. Can be swept, wiped down easily. I bet you will never have problems with powdery mildew or the such.

Looking forward to see how you do with those genetics!

I'm pulling up a seat.

Thanks Art (is that a Beretta 92?),
Last summer my 5 outdoor girls were attacked overnight by spider mites & they mangled them untill i got 'em back with Floramite. I was so afraid of the Borg hitchiking on me to my inside grow, i made it a point to keep everything clean & organized from that point on. Had to shower first before tending my inside garden - what a pita!
I did bring in a beautiful little black jumping spider with my catcus & he patrols around the whole bathroom, but i'm afraid he won't have much to eat unless i import some more bugs. He's really camera shy & it's cool the way he watches me with the best spider eyes in the business. I'll have to take out the no-pest strips & see if the fungus gnats come back for him to eat...(just kidding - i hate those fukking things).

VH - 2'x4b T5 = 96W, 4'x4b T5 = 216W & 4'x8b T5 = 432W. I'm using 3 blue to 1 red bulbs for a mixed spectrum in veg & the opposite in the tent.
Thats my flower (only) Sunhut XL - I start the blooming under the big T5 & after they stretch, i move them under the 600W HPS. I don't know if i'll ever have the whole tent flowering at the same time with new strains moving in for a perpetual harvest. All my vegging is done in the bathroom.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
great setup, I was gonna ask where the flowering would occur till I saw the tent. I started off in the bathroom till the wife kept bitch'n about needing the second B'room.

Chief - Yup, i had to pay dearly for the 2nd b-room, but she got used to it pretty fast when i explain all the stuff going on in there. Of course, now it's my job to keep the 1st one spotless, & did i mention the kitchen? I think i might have to name my next genetic cross after her too...

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Old Yeller said:
VH - 2'x4b T5 = 96W, 4'x4b T5 = 216W & 4'x8b T5 = 432W. I'm using 3 blue to 1 red bulbs for a mixed spectrum in veg & the opposite in the tent.
Do you use a combination of 2 feet x 4 bulb fixtures?

What is the max number of plants you can/should veg under a 2 footer?

I take it T5s require no ballast and put out significantly less heat than say a 250 MH/CMH? Would be nice for me if I can end up with a small T5 veg tent and a flower chamber with regular HPS/CMH.

VH - A 2' x 4 bulb T5 will veg around 20 plants in the classic 18 oz. solo (beer) cups. After i transplant into the 3/4 gal food containers i use, i can get 6 under it, which goes down to 4 after they fill in. After a final veg transplant to 1 3/4 gal or 3 gal pots, only 2.
I'm running another 2x4 T5 along side a 400W HPS in my (other) flower closet because it lets me add 2-3 more plants to the space. I haven't noticed anything perculiar using the 2 light sources - the plants are happy under both, but of course HPS adds more weight to the buds in flower than T5's.
I tried to like CFL's & experimented with them at first for vegging, but the 6500k ones had a high failure rate. Just returned a monster 150W cfl that died after only 2 months, and that was the last one for me. I frigging love T5's and so do the plants. T5's have a small, narrow electronic ballast & they do put out some heat - just spread out a lot more than a point source HID light. The big 4' x 8 bulb T5 in my tent puts out as much heat as a 400W HID & they will toast any buds that get within 1" or so.
A lot of people have great success with T8's in veg (also flower!) but i don't think they come in 2' versions.
If you're looking at one of those 2'x4'x6' tents for vegging, T5's are perfect. 2, 2'x4b T5's vs 1, 4'x4b make it easy to adjust the lights to different sized plants in the same space.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Old Yeller said:
T5's have a small, narrow electronic ballast & they do put out some heat - just spread out a lot more than a point source HID light. The big 4' x 8 bulb T5 in my tent puts out as much heat as a 400W HID & they will toast any buds that get within 1" or so.
Interesting, was just reading the dealer pitch about T5s and they say many growers switching to them etc etc and add
This allows the grower to place the T5 fluorescents very close to the plant canopy while still achieving the light spread across the entire garden area. Placing the light closer to the plants equates into very high light intensity. Metal Halide’s small arc tube also gets very hot and if placed too close to plants it will actually burn them. Since T5 fluorescents have such a large area of light source along the bulb they also emit considerably less heat than Metal Halides and thus can be placed very close the the tops of your plants.
I take it when they say close to the tops they might mean closer than an MH/HPS but definitely a few inches away or more? Also, the lumens on a 2-4 or even 2-6 might be less than on an HID 150w bulb but it's distributed and I guess focused down to the plant so that there's less lumen loss than with a reflector trying to redirect light to the plants? I just wonder which is more efficient. But your results look about perfect to me.

Actually HID's are more efficient than T5's, but with the spread heat source, thin profile & cheap bulbs, they're perfect for a whole grow. I noticed that stinkier strains don't skunk as much either. Here's a pic of my Blubonic male that got toasted when i didn't check it for 2 days & it hit the T5 bulbs...

VH - Efficienty has something to do with the amount of electricity going in vs lumen output, if i'm not mistaken. Obviously HID's are the shite, but with what i've seen here on icmag, T5's can carry you all the way through with amazing results, especially if you scrog or sog.
You want to see some stretch? Check out my Sumo hashplant male - it didn't matter that he was under T5's & a 600W HPS - he ain't a Sumo anymore...

Even the Blubonic male stretched like crazy in the last few days...

This morning i noticed somebody else in the tent growing way to fast & i suspect one of my MLI's might be a late male bloomer. I really hope so since this will be my first try at making F2's & i need more studs in the stable.