What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~My First 400 watt grow~

This is my first time growing using HPS lighting, I have had a couple experiences with fluorescents and have helped others over the years...but this is my first real grow of my own. I am growing out some unknown seeds, got 4 ladies. Two are shorter, and have chunked up much faster than the other two which are taller and seem to be taking longer to bud...so I got 2 different strains for sure. We are going into the 5th week of flowering and so far so good!

Jdizzel

Lookin great, IMO, i would start with know what i am putting so much time and money into, remember, shit in, shit out. So make sure u r starting off with some dank herb. Unless u got these seeds from a good bag of herb. I would just make sure next time that ur not wasting time on a crappy end product. But ur lookin great so far. Keep us posted on an end result.

Thanks for the compliments, Jdizzel :)
The seeds were from very good bud, and I have grown bagseed before with great results. Although this is my first grow of my own in years, I started learning this hobby almost 20 years ago coming from a "family of growers" lol Its in the blood I guess!
I had to re-learn many things, as growing under tubes is much different (btw once you go HID you never go back thats for sure!) Everything from heat issues, watering schedule, growth rate...it`s all been a re-learning experience.
I am very happy with them though, had a few issues in the veg period... and I am only using oscillating fans for ventilation. The tent and light were given to me so I am making due with it til I can afford proper venting. I am able to open the tent with lights on, so that has saved me I think.
Had some yellowing on older leaves, treating with epsom salt and it seems to be working. Today is the start of week 5 flowering. Loving it!

Heres a pic from today, week 5 of flowering...
picture.php

We had a scorcher yesterday here in the Northeast. Had trouble keeping temps down, just as I was thinking maybe shuttting off lights early would be better than baking them, we lost power! I had a few extra hours of darkness, I dont think it will cause any harm this far in flowering.... Thankfully temps are back to normal today.

I did remove some lower small popcorn style growth from the bottoms, and of course had to dry and taste. Taste was not so great, but a nice heady rush. I am hurting here with no weed, but I shall not pick! Oh its killing me too! lol

We had a scorcher yesterday here in the Northeast. Had trouble keeping temps down, just as I was thinking maybe shuttting off lights early would be better than baking them, we lost power! I had a few extra hours of darkness, I dont think it will cause any harm this far in flowering.... Thankfully temps are back to normal today.

I did remove some lower small popcorn style growth from the bottoms, and of course had to dry and taste. Taste was not so great, but a nice heady rush. I am hurting here with no weed, but I shall not pick! Oh its killing me too! lol

LOL don't you start picking! These are the times that try men's souls...Stay strong, and keep your grow cool! Your girls look yummy!

Thanks! Yes, Stoner Chic...I will be strong! lol

I just went and looked at the girls, and I have some issues, not sure how to explain so heres a pic. I have no idea what this could be. The leaves are extremely dry and brittle and you can see what they look like.
I`m starting to get nervous that things may go down-hill... although I had a couple grows under fluoros I chopped them both early due to some problems, I havent been this far so this is very new for me. I`m scared, lol! I dont expect miracles from this grow, I just want to learn from it so I have a better handle on my future grows. I am of course reading up and trying to figure this out but if anyone can offer some advice, what this is from and how can I stop it?! I`d be greatful for any help!
*this is appearing on my two shorter, heavier budding plants...the two tall ones that are budding differently are doing okay....

Soil: Miracle Grow/ Perlite
Ferts: used AK Fish fert ,and seaweed in veg. Using Ak MorBloom now in flowering. Just treated with epsom salt also....
picture.php

Well, I posted in the Infirmary Forum, only one response... saying its my Miracle Grow. I totally respect that oppinion, and I know all about the MG debate. But wouldnt I have seen problems earlier if it was my soil??
Whatever is happening, so far hasn`t halted my buds from exploding, they are going through a major spurt. I`m laying off the juice for a little bit just been giving water, at least it is not getting worse!

barth

I am currently growing Nirvana Blue Mystic that does what your plants are doing. I have grown out the strain 3 other times and it does it everytime. I don't worry about it as it doesn't seem to effect yield. Here is what my Blue Mystic looked like today at day 45 of flower.

Thanks Barth, my anxiety just went down a tad bit...lol
just got stoned too maybe that helped! Been a few days of being without, drooling over my plants. :) Finally got some so they can stop being afraid of the mean woman who wants to smoke them....

I was wondering if I may have done this with the epsom salt. My two taller plants were the ones that needed it, and they are looking fine now...but I figured I might as well give the salt to them all even though I didnt think the 2 chunky`s needed it. The extreme brittleness that came afterwards...maybe I screwed up...and shouldnt have treated them!
You live, you learn...right?!

My tall girls are looking good, a slight brittle/driness but got better since I watered lastnight. I think I`ll finish this blunt and take some pics.

the two that have leaf issues are popping buds out like crazy though, just in one day I see such a huge spurt. I`m hopeful!! Hangin' in there!!!

They are looking better, and are going through a big bud spurt! I flushed, sprayed each leaf down a few times, some trimming and cooler temps...lots of TLC :) so far so good. A/C will be put in tomorrow so I hope it helps. Buds are getting sticky and stinky!
Will most likely begin working on a new veg box to get going on grow #2. Ordering some beans soon for it, the choices are killing me! I know I am set on White Russian, but I have two more choices to make. hmmm...:D
Heres a few pics, today is the end of week 5 flowering. Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone :)

picture.php
picture.php

What a difference an air conditioner makes!! Just brought it home and put it in, already at a nice 78 in the tent. :jump: I was struggling to keep it below 90 on warm days. I am so relieved! I hope my girls will be happy too!

Things are looking good. Lets hope it stays that way. Next on the list I need to pick up a magnifier glass, start watching them trichs!

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone. May you all enjoy fine herb and good friends and great BBQs!!!!! :D

Hey girl! Your grow is looking so cool! I just want to reach into my monitor and snatch'em up!

O.k. let's talk strains!

How many plants will you grow on the next run? What are you looking for in a strain?

I just started a strain thread and had lots of help in it. I decided on 3 strains: Northern Lights (which i ordered) so i can learn on and for my 2nd grow, and for my 3rd and hopefully vertical, i am going with Trainwreck and Blueberry. I like the high of Trainwreck, and it should not be that hard to grow, i also had it back in 2003 or so and it blew my mind. The Blueberry strain is so pretty to look at and is an absolutely beautiful plant. I love buds with color. :jump:I know it will be a more difficult plant to grow but hopefully i will be ready for it.

I did look at White Russian. I like that it is crossed with AK-47, another strain i totally love.

Are you ordering feminized beans or normal ones?

What are the other 2 choices and what are your deciding factors? What are you looking for in the strain? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hey Stoner Chick, thanks so much for the compliments! And I have been dying to talk strains! So thanks for asking!!

Okay, I do have my heart set on white russian. As far as what else I`m looking at, well I`m a little overwhelmed because I just want them all!!

I like indicas, to grow and smoke, so that is an important factor. I always wanted to try Mangolian Indica, so that may be a choice also.
Special K from Sagarmatha is another I`d like to have.

I have a partner in this whole thing, and I have to wait to sit down with him to go over my choices (he is the money, I am the gardener) He wants feminised, I want standard...I`ll let him make the final decision on that one.

I`ve been looking at the Blueberry too, I agree it does look gorgeous. Sounds yummy too :D That is on the list for sure.

Hopefully I can get his ass over here to sit down and get my order in soon, and I`ll let you know what I have coming! I cant wait!

I have a partner in this whole thing, and I have to wait to sit down with him to go over my choices (he is the money, I am the gardener) He wants feminised

I have the exact same situation, except i am pro-feminized too. He wants me to go with Chronic for the vertical grow because it is a high yielder, but how boring!

I have never heard of Mangolian Indica! What about it interests you so much? I have to admit, cost is an issue. The Trainwreck is a good strain, and rather inexpensive at around $60 or so, while the Blueberry is $193 or so for 10 fem beans and she sure looks worth it - more so than any purple i have seen.

When it comes to strains i am a total noob and do not have a refined cannabis palette.

Where are you ordering from? I found a few places online, before i found ICMag, and i am glad i did not use them. The prices were outrageous. I used Seed Boutique to order my Northern Lights and will get all my strains from that place, its a great site.

Last edited:
S.C.- We plan to use Seed Boutique. Here`s a description I copied of the Mangolian Indica...

"Rocking the Grey Area Coffeeshop for more than four years, her reputation for flavor and strength has become world-renowned. A Sister to Slyder, this variety produces a mostly pure Indica with a fantastic mango bouquet and savoury taste. She is similar to Slyder in potency, but she is much more fragrant. Serrated, sativa-like leaves and beautiful orange pistils dot the crystallized Indica buds. The stone is long lasting and lethargic. A sample grown outdoors (in Hungary) was as beautiful and potent as many of the fantastic flowers from Northern California that I have had the privilege of smoking!"

That explains why I`m interested in that one! I wanted to try it years ago but never had the chance. I talked with my partner and got him to consider the Fem. Blueberry, think I got him sold! Since thats a little pricey I may only choose one other strain right now, hopefully the Mangolian Indica...which is reasonable. That would be a sweet 2nd grow! I will happily go with Blueberry instead of white russian for now, so it works for me!

randude- really I like my Miracle Grow too! I don`t think it has caused any problems...more likely the heat ;) Temps are great now and I plan to keep it that way. They were struggling, it was too hot for me in there it was definetly too hot for them. back to the MG, my next grow I am going to use my regular MG soil/and perlite, but I`m also going to try something else just to see if I notice a big difference myself. Not sure what I`ll use yet, getting ready to work on that next. I think it will be interesting to have the difference to compare, same strain, same ferts, same everything...just different mediums. My own little Miracle Grow experiment. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts