What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

tomato help!

Maina

Veteran
Im looking for what would be a great tasting tamato for salads
the best for sauces
and then caning
to me its all about tast.they will be grown organic started indoors early and loved alot! three kinds and also 1 cherry tomato cheers

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
honestly every person will have different tastes on what is the best for each.

reckon

san marzano's for sauces

I like beefsteak toms for sandwiches, and salads, they are just incredible tasting, but don't expect that flavor till really late, like august or september, but NO TOMATO on planet earth makes a BETTER "insalata caprese" (tomato, mozzarella, and basil) imo.

sweet 100's or sweet 1000's (about the size of a currant when fully ripe) are amazing for oven or sun dried, just be ready for A LOT of them, both of these fruit like mad, and KEEP fruiting all the way out till october, if the weather stays nice

green zebra or pink blush are my favorite "fancy tomatoes", the green zebras make a spectacular salsa, while I love the pink blush just sliced, with a little extra virgin olive oil, lemon, and coarse sea salt.

tomatoes are easy to grow if your new to this too, they are very hardy, and forgiving, and will produce a lot of fruit even if the conditions aren't ideal.

Ribsauce

i grew out some cherokee purples last year and they had awesome coloration to them... from all purple to purple and red splotches... tasted real good and didnt get affected by blight as much as some of the other strains i ran last year but it didnt yield as many fruits as some of the others... one i tried for the first time but really liked was Brandywine tomatoes which are heirloom and claim to be "the best tasting tomato in the world" haha... these produced heavy and also had some cool coloration to them... and they do taste very good but i dont know if id go as far to say its teh best tomato ive ever had haha... this year im gonna build a 15' x 6' tomato scrog with a nice section or two of hog panels and concrete blocks... i hope this takes care of some of the blight issues i have due to high humidity...if you like cherry tomato's enough to be able to eat or give away a couple hundred then i strongly suggest "super sweet 100's" cherry tomatoes these things are really sweet and really prolific

ehonda187

what one would be sauces or salad.I like sweet and alot of flavor or just alot of flavor not the shit in the stores

Black krims for fresh eating, salads, sandwiches.
Purple cherokees are good for sauces....

I learned my lesson with the "Sweet 100's." Plant those babies in the ground and your in for trouble if you don't stay on top of training....I had 10 foot tall tomato stakes and a ladder to harvest the millions of cherry tomatoes that ripened every 2 or 3 days.

At least the people at the food pantry were happy with the baskets of fresh "maters" I brought weekly.....

This years tomato garden consists of the following....
Black Krim
Purple Cherokee's
tiny tims
Persimmon
Costoluto
Best boy
Super Beefsteak

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not tried many different kinds, but like the Celebrity type for eating. Easy to grow also.

Latest posts

Latest posts