What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning non MJ

Chief

So i took cuttings from around the yard and none rooted. I tried on a potted jasmine and three different pines of the same species.

Im gonna do some research but wanted to start a conversation with you nice people. A list of cloneables would nice.

What was your method? Use any rooting hormone?

I have cloned many non MJ plants. Usually just pop them in a jar of water and 2- 3 weeks later full of roots.

If that method wont work, a dip of rooting hormone in perlite seems to bring more success.

I have had some types that I could never root, cant remember which anymore.

I have heard that willow tree is a natural rooting hormone.

Take the green, young branches and chop into pieces and drop in the water with cutting.

It would be neat to see this done instead of talked about.

Good Luck :)

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
one of the only plants, specifically, that i can think of which has yet to be asexually propagated is the Oak tree (Quercus sp.)
the rest, try it! some may be hard, but not impossible. like a 1/20 or smaller strike rate lol. thats a lot of cuttings.....and dont forget to try the variety, herbaceous cuts, soft wood, hard wood, growing, dormant, before you give up....

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have tried Pyracantha cuttings dropped in a bubble cloner , roots showing in ten days and need 4 - 6 weeks in soil to reach the same stage.
Should work fast with most softwood cuttings and help with the more exotic.

Salvia Divinorum roots in 4 - 5 days as do begonias and geraniums , tomatoes and peppers seem to vary by strain.

Homemade willow extract seems to help but can contain a lot of sugars leading to moulds and infections in the bubbler , same chemical extracted from surface rooting shoots of cornus Alba (Dogwood) seems cleaner and stores better than Salix derived.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Plants that are more woody are going to take longer to root than less woody plants. You can clone pretty much anything. My first plant that I ever took a cut of was wild roses(the little ones) when I was 8. Took about 2 weeks to root in a glass of water on the window sill in the kitchen. It grew into a huge bush that had 1 flower on it in the 8 years it lived lol.

Chief

I cloned in peat pellets using rooting hormones. I did it the same as my mj, which they are all in the same cabinet. Only 11/23 mj rooted and some took 3-4 weeks. So i still need work on my technique. When i get time ill just throw some cuts in some water.

It was in the middle of winter so maybe spring will bring better luck. I figured being an evergreen and no pests i would give it a try. Both cuts of the pines and the jasmine were taken from green growth from this year.

I have a willow so i will try and work with that. Its started new growth already this year but i expect more frost till spring.

I am getting ready to trim my roses, will dormant stalks root? With annuals is new growth the best to take?

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
I cloned in peat pellets using rooting hormones. I did it the same as my mj, which they are all in the same cabinet. Only 11/23 mj rooted and some took 3-4 weeks. So i still need work on my technique. When i get time ill just throw some cuts in some water.

It was in the middle of winter so maybe spring will bring better luck. I figured being an evergreen and no pests i would give it a try. Both cuts of the pines and the jasmine were taken from green growth from this year.

I have a willow so i will try and work with that. Its started new growth already this year but i expect more frost till spring.

I am getting ready to trim my roses, will dormant stalks root? With annuals is new growth the best to take?

Yes the cold will slow the rooting process down. They sell the heating mats at the garden centers for that reason. Roots like a warm environment to grow in. We have to think that when plants grow most of their roots in nature is during the warming spring and summer months when the ground and air temperatures are elevated. I used to take cuts in spring and summer and they would be awesome but in fall and winter it would take too long and I would throw them out thinking that they were duds but in reality it was the temperature and time of year. I bought a mat and never looked back. I never thought about why that was until recently when a buddy of mine took cuts and said it would take longer because it's cold outside. In short if you want roots quicker, use a heating mat.

Wait...What?

Veteran
cold is what enables your clones to live. the last thing i want around clones is heat

but hey maybe thats why i have 100% success with clones that don't even wilt

COLD WATER
COLD WATER
COLD WATER

can't stress that enough - use cold water

Chief

Anybody have more info on using willow. Ive done a little searching and didnt find anything too helpful. Hopefully this weekend i can mess around with it, i might need to wait a few more weeks to experiment with new growth.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can't stress that enough - use cold water

Have had near 100% in cold water around 60 f , only problem is the three to four weeks rooting time but they nearly all get there eventually.

Same cuts root in 3 - 5 days at around 78 - 82 f with 10% losses to wilting or root rot , adding a trace of bleach or peroxide helps with this.

Few cuts will survive or root with any reliability much above 85 f , moulds seem very agressive and can overwhelm the plants defences in a day or less.

If i had just one chance of rooting some fantastic plant cutting i would do it cold , lack the patience for everyday cuts so allow for replaceable losses.

Spent a year dialing in a bubble cloner and air humidity , light levels/hours and water quality are of vastly less significance than rooting zone temperature.

I am getting ready to trim my roses, will dormant stalks root?

Have taken many cuttings the traditional way , seems important to graft the rooted fresh shoot onto the correct rootstock from a midseason sucker later on.
Cant be bothered any more as available very cheap locally with no hassle.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
it depends with the rooting how you have it set up
ive seen greenhouse practices that root out herbaceous plants in a 50/50 perlite/vermiculite mix, small cuttings in those 1" plugs, 48 plugs per tray
they put them in a pan with no holes so it keeps water in it, about 1/4" deep, water them down after takin the cuttins and using some rooting hormone and some shit will have a full root system and start growin in less than a week
they put the cuttings onto heat pads in the greenhouse in the full greenhouse light and damn i tell you sometimes it gets hot and the plants wilt a little but at night they perk back up enough to be tortured again a little in the day by the full sun and that stress seems to also really kick up the rooting speed. they lose some sure, but its prob at least 90% success on a large scale (100s of cuttings) if they are struck properly

however, some plants, dont like that, im pretty sure cannabis would do jsut fine in that circumstance, but something like savlia divinorum does not tolerate those conditions for sure

theres a lot of diff ways to get the job done

with the roses though, it depends what kind of rose it is. many are grafted shoots onto rootstock which are hardy and aggressive growers which helps the grafted shoots to also grow better than they normally would on their own root system. some varieties are not grafter and can be propagated simply by cuttings

Latest posts

Latest posts