What's new

Raised bed gardening

Daiwa13

Well, Pop's & I built up 3 wooden raised beds in his back yard, we are going at it low cost as possible so here is what we used... Found old wood planks on craigslist, followed by free compost from our local dump, free nails/screws from past home improvements, bought weed matting, free bag of FFOF, and a few cheapo organic bagged soil from home depot.... Mixing it all together... might need to buy some perlite for better drainage... or sand/rocks. Total size of them are around 6X4 feet...Thinking of growing tomato's,corn, & maybe some fruits. Going to run Fox farm nutrients as needed...Anybody else into Raised beds & have any cheap-o pointers? :)

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've done raised beds a few times and loved 'em. I've since torn mine down and moved them...going to be rebuilding in the next few weeks. We grew brocolli and had excellent success. I bet tomatoes would be great, as long as the bed was deep enough for the roots...I don't know how well the corn would do, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. Best of luck!

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
i just built the same. if you have compost as part of your soil mix, i dont see you needing the fox farm nutrients. the ffof and compost should be enough.

Daiwa13

Cool... they are so easy to build! I am thinking this will come out pretty good, we found another facility that carries rock & sand mixed up.. going to get some & mix it in. How hot is the compost usually as far as nutrients? Shit really smelled up my truck, it better be good!

"Corn needs to be grown in soil that gets full sunlight and has a pH balance of at least 6.0 but not more than 6.8. The soil also needs to be able to retain moisture and it needs to drain well. The best way to keep the soil "corn friendly" is to add some compost or some manure that has been well cured."

Sounds kinda like my soil...

Latest posts

Latest posts