What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Someone help me with my Basil!

SNiPerXP

I planted my lemon basil in Jiffy Peat Pellets and she had some roots coming out throughout the bottom of the pellet, so I transplanted her into a perlite hempy bucket. However, now her leaves are drooping and it almost seems like she is over watered but I've heard that perlite drains water very well so I would have thought it wouldn't be a problem. I know perlite dries quickly but should I just go a day or two without watering or could there be another problem? This is my first time growing basil so I'm not too familiar with how they grow or take stress.

L

Leonidas

I found that once the basil is going its very hard to over water. I watered mine every day twice a day this summer. Also many times I would leave the water on and flood the pot accidently. I think your experiencing some other problem.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I planted my lemon basil in Jiffy Peat Pellets and she had some roots coming out throughout the bottom of the pellet, so I transplanted her into a perlite hempy bucket. However, now her leaves are drooping and it almost seems like she is over watered but I've heard that perlite drains water very well so I would have thought it wouldn't be a problem. I know perlite dries quickly but should I just go a day or two without watering or could there be another problem? This is my first time growing basil so I'm not too familiar with how they grow or take stress.
SNiPerXP

I grow about 15 varieties of basil (primarily the Southeast Asian varieties) for the restaurant trade in Portland and Seattle.

Basil is a weed. Period. This is a plant where 'less is better' and grown correctly I harvest basil leaves, on average, every 10-14 days. I grow under the strictest definitions of an 'organic grow' that you could ever imagine.

Basil is not a plant needing high levels of 'nutes' if the soil is properly amended, i.e. seed meals, kelp meal, etc. and minerals.

HTH

CC

Twoshot

Hey SNiPerXP
Perlite does drain well, but it also sucks in water, so you dont need to water so often...
Hows your Basil doing now?