What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reading is key

fart star

I don't know if a thread like this has been formed yet, so here goes.

I am an avid reader and enjoy books on agriculture/soils etc...

Some of these books contain 'out there' topics but are still immeasurably valuable for a well rounded view point on the future of our food supply.

What books would you recommend to others who are interested in not only farming, but farming in harmony with the planet?

Some that I have enjoyed and would include are

Teaming With Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis

Secrets of the Soil By peter Tompkins & Christopher Bird

Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth

The Anatomy of Life & Energy in Agriculture by Dr. Arden B. Anderson

Worms eat my Garbage by Mary Appelhof

The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins

The Nature and Properties of Soils by Nyle C. Brady & Ray R. Weil

If we could get a list and discussion going on what books have impacted your views and practices in agriculture I feel like we could begin to collect a vast knowledge. adios

M3@n_0n3

Cool, Jeff Lowenfels is from Alaska. No recommendations from me just a comment.

The future of our food supply is an interesting topic and with big business' having more and more sway with what's grown, the future doesn't look bright.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice list, I have some of those. I'll add, "Principals of Field Crop Production" edited by Jim Pratley.

fart star

some oldies, but goodies are

The Great Worlds Farm by Selina Gaye written in 1902

Eat To Live by The National Health Bureau of America written in 1926