What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Infested with ants!!

hazy

Veteran
Diatomaceous earth.
I put some down to protect some carrots the ants were destroying and it killed them all. the whole colony. Wasn't my intention, but ...
it has to be dry. they get it on them and when they go home they all get it on them. just cuts them and dries them out.

M

medi-useA

I guess this goes in the garden section, however the ants are INSIDE here & I mean I cant even go to the bathroom without them eating me alive..
ants are pests...I need a safe way to get rid of them without using ant spray around my kid....any of you know any homemade cures for these little pests? I heard about mixing sugar with boric acid and placing them around the outside of the house.. but is there anything I would have here readily available seeing as its 4 am and no stores are open?

Borax powder....often sold in the laundry isle....used to soften water for washing...

HOWEVER...

If you mix borax 50/50 with sugar and leave it for the ants, they take it...you can also add water to the sugar/borax mix to make a liquid.

The ants take this sweet mix back to the nest...it gets fed to the workers and queen.
Borax clogs up their bums so they cannot shit, so they die....this is capable of killing the queen and wiping out a colony entirely...

Now, if it was fire ants...I've got a recipe somewhere th@ kills them too...let me know if you want th@1 and I'll dig it out..:)

add some food dye if you want it to stand out...makes it easier to see how much they've taken...
This has worked for me with giant ants, tiny ants and others in between..

Hope it serves you well. :)

To stop ants entering an area....diotomatious earth should help...as would spraying chillie water as a barrier...

muA

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Sea salt. Ants seem to hate that shit around here..
Obviously u can't have that near your plants, but on the ants paths and spots where they can get in.. Worked for me, cheap too :)

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
You need Miraculous Ant Chalk. Ask in a chinatown or perhaps a dry cleaner.
All you will ever need again.

watson540

you can find boarx at (some) walmarts and kroger/jayc its good stuff for making your own laundry soap as well, mized with equal amounts fels naptha and washing soda

Have heard quite often that cinnamon,cloves and tea tree oil is an effective repellant (get them AWAY from YOU, not DEAD). As much as we hate even the annoying ant, it has a very prominent place in the cycle of nature. (aeration... cough cough) So hopefully that may help some people out. Good luck.

Last edited:

Beanfish

When I was a kid we had major ant problems in the house. Very sandy area. The only thing that really worked well was "Revenge" brand liquid. A drop on a piece of cardboard near their trail and that was it for them. They take it back to the colony and queen.

I don't see ants often in my home, but the few times I have, this stuff makes them history in a 2-3 days. It's cheap and a little bottle lasts forever. Gotta be careful where you put it with kids or animals though.

nuckfuts

Terro. I know, I know but if you pour that shit right down their holes their going to die. hahahaha I hate ants.

J

JackTheGrower

Oh my.. I would avoid poison,,

They will give up if they get the message.. water often keep the place unhappy for a home..

If you must use poison determine if sweet ants or meat ants and order from GrowOrganic.com

Mine gave up is seems.. Hey it was either an ant farm of a garden.. I tried to make them unhappy but it's a nice resort under the lights except for the floods..

kava

I use worm castings in my garden and dont have troubles with ants, Jap beetles and even spiders will be running for the hills when we start to spread it. Somethingin the worm castings make all hard shelled bugs leave (except squash bores) even fire ants so I have heard (no fire ants here to try it on)

graybeard

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, I didn't read all 34 posts...but baby powder is like glass shards to them. Mix 50/50 borax & bady powder or just use the baby powder...it works!