What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

List of Recessive Traits

Brownpants

No.....I don't have one, but I am looking for one.

Does anybody have a list or a partial list started?

I have been searching for information on this subject but have not found very much at all. There must be information out there related to this. Even suspected recessive traits would be helpful for breeders.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-BP-

acidfire

Could be wrong, but...
I think trait dominance is different for every strain.

Although there seems to be some strains that are dominant in most of their traits, and others that are the opposite.

It seems the only way to tell is by trial and error.
Maybe a list of mostly dominant, or mostly recessive strains could be made...

Last edited:

Brownpants

acidfire said:
Although there seems to be some strains that are dominant in most of their traits, and others that are the opposite.

Yeah, that is what I am talking about, but instead of talking about the whole strain, I want to know what specific traits on the strains disappear when crossed. Or traits that appear in 1 out of 20 offspring grown out. Things like purple coloured plants seem recessive to me because they are not very common, yet they pop up once in a while unexpectedly. (ex. Skunk in Nirvana strains)

Some purple calyxs.

Some plants have a unique leaf curl to them caused by Ph issues that I think might be a recessive trait. (PH sensitivity trait)

A list of recessive traits would help predict what the offspring would look like between different crosses or at least what to expect. Example, crossing a purple plant with a green plant will not produce 100% purple plants. It will probably produce 100% green plants.

Every little bit of information helps.

-BP-

Last edited:

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I see what your talking about, i would also like to see a list.

A few i can think of now are:

Autoflowering
The Dizzy/ABC, leaf pattern. Ive seen a picture of the same leaf pattern somewhere here on ICMag, and they claimed it was a picture of an Iranian or Saudi outdoor.

I am guessing Ducksfoot is also recessive.

a note on the Autoflower, from my understanding, some strains will have autoflowering seeds, the first cross with an autoflower, but other strains need to be back crossed more than once to see any autoflowering seeds. This suggests that autoflowering is on more than one gene, and some strains already have one gene turned on.

Or atleast thats what i have pieced together.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
ShroomDr said:
I see what your talking about, i would also like to see a list.

A few i can think of now are:

Autoflowering
The Dizzy/ABC, leaf pattern. Ive seen a picture of the same leaf pattern somewhere here on ICMag, and they claimed it was a picture of an Iranian or Saudi outdoor.

I am guessing Ducksfoot is also recessive.

a note on the Autoflower, from my understanding, some strains will have autoflowering seeds, the first cross with an autoflower, but other strains need to be back crossed more than once to see any autoflowering seeds. This suggests that autoflowering is on more than one gene, and some strains already have one gene turned on.

Or atleast thats what i have pieced together.

That is quite correct. Usually the first generation of an autoflower and an early plant produce a few autoflowerers, the next backcross to an autoflowers has produced 100% autoflowers in my experiments. It dosn't go quite like that when the other plant is not early. By early I mean that it flowers in 18/6 or more.

G

we dont have he plant mappe well enough to know and cant find out if purple is recessive for some time

ive actually read that purple is dominant just not common, who knows

and as far as the sporadic blues ad purples ive had no clue....

G

Haze plants have a unique leaf curl to them that I think might be a recessive trait.

That is not a trait of Hazes.

It is environmental and usually is due to overfeeding or incorrect PH of your medium.

All the best, hhf

EpheDrone25

ABC ?!

ABC ?!

This is a wierd plant i had here made seeds.will see next season?
I doubt it will carry through just my 2 cents..

Eph25 :bongsmi: :jerkit:

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
EpheDrone25 said:
This is a wierd plant i had here made seeds.will see next season?
I doubt it will carry through just my 2 cents..

Eph25 :bongsmi: :jerkit:

That is the leaf 'style' i was talking about, Its the same 'style' as Dizzy, Australian Bastard Cannabis, and that middle eastern specimen i was talking about.

Its in the genes, its probably recessive though.

If someone could stabilize it, anyone could overgrow there neighborhood. That plant only looks like MJ the last 4 weeks of flowering (deep into budding).

G

it will easily be recognised as MJ there isnt any kind of edge that can come of dizzy or ABC.. I think diff plants strains w/e can have that deformity i dont know if its a genetic deformity or not, i assume it isnt..

heres a little bit from a article about bananas

The reason bananas are so susceptible to disease has to do with their ancient origins. Almost no plant has been cultivated longer by humans. The earliest banana production began in Southeast Asia, but of the hundreds of varieties found in that region, only about 10 or 15, according to Swennen, were brought to Africa. (Bananas are a perfect crop for subsistence farming, since once a family has a healthy plant, no more seeds need to be planted—or bought; instead farmers simply replant shoots, called “suckers,” from existing trees.) Bananas mutate easily, and of the few Asian banana varieties that originally made it to Africa, more than 200 new varieties have emerged. But these varieties remain genetically similar, so they’re prone to parallel afflictions. The situation in Latin America is even worse. “Only a few moved from Africa to there,” Swennen says, “so you’ve got even lower variability.”

The geneticist has already created one sweet banana that, using genetic material from radishes, has built-in resistance to Black Sigatoka. The lab is also developing high-yield plantains for Africa and a banana manipulated to be high in beta-carotene. Swennen emphasizes that biotech is literally the only way to save the Cavendish, which, because it is 100 percent seedless, can’t be improved on by traditional hybridization methods. And FHIA’s approach of growing a new variety from scratch, he argues, is too slow.

so i assume these 200 new verieties are like sub species like sativa, indica.. or are the varieties deformitys like the ABC photos?

banana link http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/5a4d4c3ee4d05010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/4.html
not sure how reliable they are*

funny

that wood be cool, to have a list like that, i have had plants start w/ 3 nursery leaves, and just seen a plant that sprouted 2 stem, like 2 plants sharing 1 root system

Brownpants

HothouseFlowers said:
That is not a trait of Hazes.

It is environmental and usually is due to overfeeding or incorrect PH of your medium.

All the best, hhf

Thanks for the reply HHF, If it isn't a trait of hazes then it must have come from the Blueberry Sativa. The strain of the plants in question is Johnny Blaze F2s. The parental strains were Neville's Haze and Blueberry Sativa. I assumed it was the haze part of the genetics causing the leaf curl trait (environmental sensitivity trait?) because of other posts I read about hazes having this problem. I shouldn't have assumed it was a haze trait.
It is still an odd trait regardless. I have 40 plants in flower right now all in the same organic soil mix, each plant is of a different strain or cross, some pure sativas, some pure indicas and a whole bunch of hybrids. The only plants showing this leaf curl is a couple of the Johnny Blaze F2s. I have grown out a clone of the JB F2 with this trait in a different organic soil mix and still had the same resulting leaf curl.

On another note, the leaf structure on that "Dizzy/ABC" is quite unusual. Does it disappear when crosses are made with other strains? Thanks for posting pics of it.

-BP-

Last edited:
G

Brownpants said:
Thanks for the reply HHF, If it isn't a trait of hazes then it must have come from the Blueberry Sativa. The strain of the plants in question is Johnny Blaze F2s. The parental strains were Neville's Haze and Blueberry Sativa. I assumed it was the haze part of the genetics causing the leaf curl trait (environmental sensitivity trait?) because of other posts I read about hazes having this problem.
It is still an odd trait regardless. I have 40 plants in flower right now all in the same organic soil mix, each plant is of a different strain or cross, some pure sativas, some pure indicas and a whole bunch of hybrids. The only plants showing this leaf curl is a couple of the Johnny Blaze F2s. I have grown out a clone of the JB F2 with this trait in a different organic soil mix and still had the same resulting leaf curl.

On another note, the leaf structure on that "Dizzy/ABC" is quite unusual. Does it disappear when crosses are made with other strains? Thanks for posting pics of it.

-BP-

I guess your going to see the leaf curl as a Haze trait dispite proper reason.
If your going to argue why ask.. Hhf knows his haze. Maybe the leaf curl is in fact a trait of whatever haze line you have. It most likely Is incorrect PH and overfeeding, despite the rest of your plants/strains if all your "johny blaze" are like that look into ph and feed them less.

also in the background of that plant with the deficiency or whatever.. i see another plants fanleaves with the same issue just not as bad

i just looked thru your gallery a bit and alot of the plants have the smae issues the shalum grape kush citrocity and VBS all have th issue
you even labeled a krape kush as having a PH problem. water less too if you can. looks like you keep them all well watered

Last edited:

Brownpants

NeptHaze said:
I guess your going to see the leaf curl as a Haze trait dispite proper reason.
If your going to argue why ask.. Hhf knows his haze. Maybe the leaf curl is in fact a trait of whatever haze line you have. It most likely Is incorrect PH and overfeeding, despite the rest of your plants/strains if all your "johny blaze" are like that look into ph and feed them less.

also in the background of that plant with the deficiency or whatever.. i see another plants fanleaves with the same issue just not as bad

What's with the attack? I am not arguing at all, I am trying to figure out why some of my Johnny Blaze F2s are showing a leaf curl trait when my other plants of different strains aren't, when in the exact same environmental conditions. I never said all my Johnny Blaze F2s are doing that, roughly 20 to 30% of them are. There is alot of variety going on and I am trying to figure it out. The leaf curl is probably due to PH sensitivity, but there must be a genetic reason for this to be happening.

I don't understand all the negativity in this forum lately. I am just trying to learn and help. And what is wrong with arguing a point? Am I not allowed to argue a point on this forum?