What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Aspirin as a Growth Hormone

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Check out the 200 dollar freebie that cannabist just posted.... That book is awesome!!!

Anyone using Aloe Vera?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
@MHG: Thanks for the reminder of the link, somehow haven't seen his post.

Wouldn't it be better to start a new thread on aloe?
That subject sounds interesting, although nowadays, aloe is used for all and everything but finally, apart from its effects against obstipation and burnings, doesn't do much.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I purchased salicylic acid from a soap making place....it seems to dissolve readily in hot water(less than 10 min).

My question is:
Is it plant available at this stage ?
Or is KOH needed?
At what PH range is salicylic acid best available to the plant?

RetroGrow

Veteran
You're taking something simple, and making it complicated. Acetylsalicylic acid + H2O= salicylic acid. Just use plain, not coated aspirin. Salicylic acid is a known plant growth hormone:
"Salicylic acid (SA) is a phenolic phytohormone and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, ion uptake and transport. SA also induces specific changes in leaf anatomy and chloroplast structure. SA is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating in plant defense against pathogens.[4] It plays a role in the resistance to pathogens by inducing the production of pathogenesis-related proteins.[5] It is involved in the systemic acquired resistance (SAR) in which a pathogenic attack on one part of the plant induces resistance in other parts. The signal can also move to nearby plants by salicylic acid being converted to the volatile ester, methyl salicylate."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

shaggyballs

Veteran
I purchased salicylic acid from a soap making place....it seems to dissolve readily in hot water(less than 10 min).

My question is:
Is it plant available at this stage ?
Or is KOH needed?
At what PH range is salicylic acid best available to the plant?

:tumbleweed:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
:laughing: Do you love tumbleweed and Western movies so much or are you just stressed?

Principally, salicylic acid is the active, stationary form of the hormone. Due its negative charge in solution it has troubles being transported throughout the plant. Therefore, many plants use methyl salicylate (a neutal ester) as transport form.
Most importantly, the salicylic acid has to remain soluble at ambient temperature; you don't want it to precipitate in your aerosol can :D .
Can't remember: Are you going to use it to water the plants or as foliar spray? Foliar: Rather no base, anions (charged acids for example) are a lot less resorbed than neutral compounds (e.g. non-charged acids) or cations (such as Mg or Ca). In its neutral, rather lipophilic form, salicylic acid could possibly penetrate the leaves directly...
Via roots: going with the regular pH of your water seems more important to me than adjusting pH for one 'food additive'.

Hope that helps a bit ;) . Maybe someone else knows more?

miramar

Uhm, maybe somebody already stated this but Willow Salix is a very good root growth promoter as well. Populus species aswell, take the roots.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Willow has nearly no salicylic acid in it but salicin, a precursor resulting, upon vertebrate metabolism, in salicylic acid ;) .
It is nice as rooting hormone, no doubt, but if I remember correctly Shag wants to use it as a growth and stress hormone to increase growth, secondary metabolites, trichome density etc.

RetroGrow

Veteran
If you want a growth hormone, get triacontanol @ MBFerts. Salicylic acid is a very minor growth hormone, but it's main function is as an immune system booster, helping the plant ward off disease and attacks from pests, and signaling nearby plants that danger is present.

shaggyballs

Veteran
If you want a growth hormone, get triacontanol @ MBFerts. Salicylic acid is a very minor growth hormone, but it's main function is as an immune system booster, helping the plant ward off disease and attacks from pests, and signaling nearby plants that danger is present.

Are you sure you know how to use TRIA????
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=276451
There is much speculation concerning dosage,Ph,methods of dissolving,how and when to apply!!!
I have been searching for a while..... the more information I gather.......it would seem the less I really know!!!

Do you possess the knowledge to answer these important questions??
If so that information would be very useful here to all of us!!:biggrin:
Thank you for your input!:tiphat:
shag

shaggyballs

Veteran
:laughing: Do you love tumbleweed and Western movies so much or are you just stressed?

The tumbleweed is a symbol of me waiting patiently for new information or a past over question.I also use it to bump a tread of interest when I have nothing positive to add.
I sometimes have trouble expressing myself properly!!:biggrin:

Principally, salicylic acid is the active, stationary form of the hormone. Due its negative charge in solution it has troubles being transported throughout the plant. Therefore, many plants use methyl salicylate (a neutal ester) as transport form.
So do I need to manipulate it's form before use? dissolve in methanol.
Most importantly, the salicylic acid has to remain soluble at ambient temperature; you don't want it to precipitate in your aerosol can :D .
What is the best way to achive this?
I have mixed a few solutions form the soap co.'s salicylic acid they seem to be stable for many days in ambient temperature water of 6-7 Ph. I just was unsure if it was plant avalable at this stage???

Can't remember: Are you going to use it to water the plants or as foliar spray?I would like to use it as a foliar spray and in solution also in a clone gel...Just not all 3 at the same time!! Foliar: Rather no base, anions (charged acids for example) are a lot less resorbed than neutral compounds (e.g. non-charged acids) or cations (such as Mg or Ca). In its neutral, rather lipophilic form, Do you mean dissolved in acid ?salicylic acid could possibly penetrate the leaves directly...So let me get this straight simply mixed with water and ph to 6-7 and it should be absorbed into the leaves? Or does it need to be dissolved in methanol first?
Via roots: going with the regular pH of your water seems more important to me than adjusting pH for one 'food additive'.
I hear ya! the PH question was more for foliar.

Hope that helps a bit ;) .You are always a big help.:tiphat:...but I find myself studying for hours before replying to your posts and I don't mind cause it helps me to fully understand the way thing work on such a complex level!....we just have a large educational gap between our minds!
Maybe someone else knows more?

Willow has nearly no salicylic acid in it but salicin, a precursor resulting, upon vertebrate metabolism, in salicylic acid .
It is nice as rooting hormone, no doubt, but if I remember correctly Shag wants to use it as a growth and stress hormone to increase growth, secondary metabolites, trichome density etc.
Yes that is my primary focus at the moment....but I have begun adding it to a clone gel. But I am now afraid that it may be a waste of time in the gel due to fear of rapid degradation.
Would it degrade in a clone gel at the PH of 7? If so I will add it to the aero cloner solution if that is more effective.
shag

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hi Shag,
I was just taunting you a bit LoL .

Dissolving it in methanol will change/help nothing. Methyl salicylate means an ester (a covalent 'molecular' bond between the salicylic acid and methanol); that way, the acid is no more and hence this product is always uncharged (still slightly negative in basic solutions).
Just be sure that the SA, once dissolved in hot water, remains in solution when it cools down, that's all ;) . If it starts precipitating (forming crystals), your solution is too concentrated and you simply need to add some water. BTW It is soluble at 2 g per liter water at room temperature.
You sure that it is at pH 6-7? Looks more like you took salicylic acid as salt like sodium salicylate...
As salt or if you adjust the pH to neutral (like you have it right now), then it is way more soluble! Sodium salicylate seems to be soluble at over 600 g per liter (according to Wiki)!
Salicylic acid and sodium salicylate are both very stable (likely months to years to degrade if you don't get microbes growing in it first). Only at high pH will it oxidise but you won't use that anyway ;) .

shaggyballs

Veteran
I can handle a bit of taunting!!!:cry:
I get it from my best friends....I am very used to it.
Sometimes it is the best way to get my attention.
I do over use the tumbleweed a bit!:tumbleweed:

Your last post cleared thing up for me.
Thank you for your time again!!!!
Shag
Go Bronco's

RetroGrow

Veteran
Are you sure you know how to use TRIA????
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=276451
There is much speculation concerning dosage,Ph,methods of dissolving,how and when to apply!!!
I have been searching for a while..... the more information I gather.......it would seem the less I really know!!!

Do you possess the knowledge to answer these important questions??
If so that information would be very useful here to all of us!!:biggrin:
Thank you for your input!:tiphat:
shag

TRIA is a component of many products. It's in Canna "Boost", and that's how I was using it. However, MBFerts sells it in pure form. They have instructions on their webpage, and there is also a YouTube video on it. It can be sprayed on plants throughout the grow.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Best way is to try it and see yourself with a test plant. The willow tree is interesting as I've heard this before

Just adding this to my post to find again easily!!!!

zamzia

Veteran
I still do this. These little gems of info. Would be amazing to have everything in one post! lol