What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hobby Breeding Good or Bad?

TopShelf

Is it bad that people like myself take some pollen from a nice strong fast flowering male plant and pollinate one of our favorite females just for fun? Do you think passing these seeds around is irresponsible or bad for the gene pool? Or does it somehow help in the big scheme of things?

A friend of mine was a hobby breeder. He died a horrible and painful death and now he's burning in Hell. I'm almost positive that it was due to his hobby breeding.

Baba Ku

Veteran
Hurts nothing whatsoever. You can only improve things, and not much you could possibly do to be detrimental to the world of cannabis. Those claiming otherwise will have to bring some pretty strong arguments.

TopShelf

I agree Baba Ku. Seems to me taking a super stud of a skunk#1 and crossing it with the best C99 cut you've ever had and passing along those seeds to someone less fortunate could only be a good thing :)

hopleaf

i love to hobby breed. plus i've had pretty good results. a deep chunk x bubba kush that i crossed with a PCK is some of the finest buds i have ever smoke. that and my mango haze x super silver haze is probly the most resinous plant i have and it's done in about 60 days. i will always hobby breed for a couple reasons.
1) after i buy a pack of seeds i will never ever have to buy that strain again.
2) by gifting my seeds to less fortunate friends i have made their harvests mush nicer.

i'd say go for it and have some fun.

P

potlatch

As for selecting a male for fast flowering, DJ Short was of the opinion that they would trend toward fiber (hemp) than THC.

Do whatever makes sense to you and test the results.
You are on the road to eternal happiness.
:)

supermanlives

Veteran
are you kidding. i have made so many crosses i have lost count. i got a bunch yet to be tried.i need more space LOL. i have bought strains for the males . they can make you think you need all this breeding skills and charts and ratios but for simply crossing the best like most farmers have done for generations works too.

Goba

Not irresponsible at all, Every breeder started somewhere. If you pass them around just be sure to label and give respect to all genetics used. There is to much renaming without any credit to the breeders that spent years to develop some of these strains. I think everyone that grows should try hobby breeding at least once. For me it developed a even greater respect for the for the plant and the long history of cannabis.

TopShelf

I first got the idea after receiving many many good seeds/plants from JLP many years ago.. Many of you old timers probably remember JLP and his generosity? Is JLP still around these parts?

Last edited:

JWP

I first got the idea after receiving many many good seeds/plants from JLP many years ago.. Many of you old timers probably remember JLP and his generosity? Is JLP still around these parts?

JLP was and still is the man! I grew many of his beans and loved them all :tiphat:

Why is that, JWP?

You know exaclty why Baba Ku. Because MOST female seeds are made with intersex plants. If you breed with interex plants your just going to increase the frequency of intersex plants in the progeny.

At the rate the world is going now with female seeds outselling regular line and a whole bunch of people who really dont know what they are doing breeding with these plants and passing these tainted genes arround all the cannabis in the world will be homogeneously intersex in no time..

Baba Ku, you allways have something to say when i speak out against female seeds. So you must know all about them. Please tell me off the top of your head 1 single breeder you know of that isnt 100% about making a quick proffit and actually takes the time to find and use a true female in their female lines?

TopShelf

Some amnesia99 from JLP,
picture.php
still need to pop these babies. JWP is the real JLP still around?

smokefrogg

Veteran
...i kind of feel the same way about the female seeds, no disrespect intended for the seed company that decided to name themselves female seeds either. the intersex gene issue, man i chopped down this beautiful girl today after finding nanners, well i thought it was surely a girl *sigh* ...i got seeds from a friend, a lovely huge afghan p1 crossed with lowryder #2, the off spring were awesome, man i popped all of them waiting for a male to make f2 happen, lo and behold after much waiting and anticipation, every single one of them showed as female, this completely destroyed my breeding plan, turns out the person that did the initial pollination had no idea that it mattered that the mom was apparently from feminized seed

fem may be great for just popping a bunch of beans and not having to pick out the males, as long as you don't care about nanners here and there. but for someone trying to make something new, well it sure was a frustrating time waster in the end for me, i guess it wasn't a total waste, i did learn a valuable lesson...

Baba Ku

Veteran
You know exaclty why Baba Ku. Because MOST female seeds are made with intersex plants. If you breed with interex plants your just going to increase the frequency of intersex plants in the progeny.

At the rate the world is going now with female seeds outselling regular line and a whole bunch of people who really dont know what they are doing breeding with these plants and passing these tainted genes arround all the cannabis in the world will be homogeneously intersex in no time..

Baba Ku, you allways have something to say when i speak out against female seeds. So you must know all about them. Please tell me off the top of your head 1 single breeder you know of that isnt 100% about making a quick proffit and actually takes the time to find and use a true female in their female lines?
You seem to be hung on the "true female" thing. I ask you...how many regular bred seeds being sold came from a true female mother?
Very damn few I can assure you.
The criteria for selection of intersex would be to find individuals that do not show intersex when stressed with normal grow stresses, like being indoors under artificial lights and temps, etc... See, if a plant does not hermie with low levels of normal stesses, it is no different than a true sex plant that simply can't hermie.
Then there is the other parent to consider...just how do you know that the male does not carry intersex? You don't. In fact, I can tell you lots more about a mother plant before you can even come close to telling me about the father.

I think you have your hat on crooked when you picture breeding.
One thing for certain, there will never be any feminzed seeds produced that are come about from two true breeding 100% true female plants. Basically because at least one of them must have the intersex gene buried within it to be able to reverse and give pollen.
And I make this challenge...you find me ONE regular seed that I can buy that was made from a 100% female and a 100% male.
It aint gonna happen.

And just because a plant was grown from a fem seed does NOT mean it has a proclivity to pass on that trait. Not at all. No more than it would had it been the half of a regular m/f breeding.
To think otherwise is simply falling for the myths.

ANd I want someone to tell me how Joe Blow who holds a handful of feminized seeds is going to breed detrimental things into the cannabis line? Start off by telling me how he is breeding at all with them? Do we think Joe Blow has a stash of STS or CS that he is using to reverse some of his fem stock to make more? And even if he did, just what bad could be passed on? Nothing more than would be passed down the line with a regular breeding the same guy did only using a male he grew.

You want to arry about a bad thing...worry about autos.
Fems are the least of your worries....no matter what you may have in your head at this point.

Latest posts

Latest posts