What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Seed Size Mean Anything?

baduy

Hi
Big seeds means big calixes
Big calixes means big resin production
It's a quantitative trait long sought after by hashplant growers, Ganja growers looking for quality of the raw plant didn't care for size of calixes
Also Chinese hemp has the biggest seeds because this trait has been favored due to the use of the plant for food

Kankakee

My hemp / sativs L fiber line derived from asian genetics in the periods of 1910-1930 united states department of agriculture breeding, are extremely small black mottled. Un-molested

Hemp pre-dates everything ( building block ) including canna of today by thousands of years. Its birthplace Asia.

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
Seed size means very little in the overall scheme of things. It is mostly genetic and as long as they are mature and still viable they can make great plants. In a batch of seed the biggest might be the dud and the little runt the future elite clone only. It is much more important to concentrate on giving a plant optimal conditions to thrive than worrying about which seed is the biggest or has the coolest designs on it..

:plant grow:

Seed size is also determined by environmental factors. Buds that have been pollinated sparingly generally produce larger seeds than buds that have been pollinated extensively. This is largely because the sparsely-pollinated seeds don’t have to compete as hard for nutrients. Certain marijuana seeds in a certain bud may have experienced a better environment than other seeds. Regardless, seed size and plant size are not necessarily related.

Last edited:

DJXX

Veteran
i think a small seed has a much smaller tap root and in a week or so they catch up with the larger seeds. some of my biggest plants were from tiny seeds..DJXX

angelgoob

have you ever thought since the taproot is small it hairs out closer to the top of the soil where there is more breathable aerate zones and that and indica goes to far with it's tap to compete with other plants and handle it's own environment?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I noticed smaller seed from heavily pollinated females,
and larger seeds on the same female lightly pollinated.

But generally my narrow leaf crosses have smaller seeds
than my wide leaf crosses.

Any seed that germinates to a keeper is good in my book.

Good thread.

angelgoob

but y tho? (Ryan Renyolds)

I love big seeds. You get MAGA large coty's.

Wanna know what's cool? If you cold shock a plant and it's first trues are out and then shrivel and die?

You can rip of the first dead leaves if they were damaged. The seed has so much energy in it that it re-grows! Yes people!

I wonder what other ways it helps.

And how long a seed can last without nutes or a lot of them.

angelgoob

I've lost seeds. you're right.

not only are they there for you. they're bigger baby. everyone likes bigger. wut sluts.

anyway I got some big seeds comin in.

Now you're saying "wtf why?"

Things are getting serious I know. It's because I asked in a fb group "who has the biggest seeds?"

Haha.

in my ecological studies we saw 2 strategies of reproduction .

strategy "K " and strategy "R" .

one is a lot of babies with no care and a lot will die ,and the opposite is few babies but few will die .

indica strategy is to produce few seeds with a lot of reserves .and strong since the beginning .

sativas do the opposite ,thousands of seeds ,with no reserve and pretty slow at first .

english is not my first language so i won't explain more

but search on the web for development strategy K and R ;)

In ecology, r/K selection theory relates to the selection of combinations of traits in an organism that trade off between quantity and quality of offspring. The focus upon either increased quantity of offspring at the expense of individual parental investment of r-strategists, or reduced quantity of offspring with a corresponding increased parental investment of K-strategists, varies widely, seemingly to promote success in particular environments.

Kankakee

well one of the greatest breeders of all time luther burbank not well studied in academia ...

he used massive selection theory upon his task. made most advancement off runts and outlier plants quickening the evolution process. it's very difficult to select for multiple traits without untrained eye as mr burbank would run thousands of test upon 2,000 or more plant species at one time. i'd bet without his knowledge most could not select for more than one trait per generation as many white paper theories never transfer into real world results.

look towards fukushima and the bleeding of isotopes uncontrolled into biosphere as thousands of phd's, masters of science can't control pandora once outside containment. but they had all the answers beforehand but collective silence is deafening with solution for bioaccumulation quickening towards mammals themselves ....

theory is a high priced assumption.

Last edited:

angelgoob

lagtouche!

this is what I've been saying!

I'll take my big seed with enhanced survivability anyday of the week!

I know the sativas have this hormone in them! I'm serious, it's a genetic unlock! Autoflowers might have it!

People have good outcomes with a 6 month sativa or somma dat shit.

I'd like to see a 55 day total plant with some yield and resin instead.

I have a feeling though. these traits are in genetic size of plant, and then only then do hormones come out.

Oh I have an idea. Take clones and hook them up to a small plant about when it's going to throw pistils (this way it makes it think it's a bigger plant that somehow is there)

then it will learn! (just an idea though. I don't know if you're tying in the hormones and everything and the dwarf gene)

Spaventa

Veteran
The plants I wish I still had 15 years later came from small seeds.. small GHS Neville's Haze regular seeds. Bigger isn't always better. It is most of the time though lol

angelgoob

I only have feeling it'd help outdoors people and new growers too.

The problem is the hormone. It needs vigor. Auto breeding hard to breed for da too. As it's life cycle is so small. why'd the plant want to be big? It just wants to create seeds dat betch. Ya mean?