What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is better...Shaded Daylight or CFL's?

DC3

Hey there,

I'm doing a micro-grow with small wattage 24W CFL's but I'm also able to bring them out for the morning sun but about 1pm the sun doesn't shine on that side of the house.
My question is...when the direct sun goes of them, is the shaded afternoon light still better than being under CFL's?

Any thoughts?
DC3

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you running several 24 Watts lamps or just one? 24 Watts is in every case much lower than indirekt daylight, I would guess. But keep in mind that in the northern hemisphere the light hours are too low for vegetation state. They will probably start to flower pretty soon when left outside the whole time.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From my limited learnings on the subject, a Sativa might not like it too much, but an Indica would probably be fine.

I am far from an expert and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More than likely YES!

Shaded sunlight is still more potent than a CFL for damn sure.

If you can find a light that will make a light spot on the ground in the shadows you may be on to something but the Sun is still way better that CFLs.

DC3

Guy Brush, GOT BUD? and MJPassion thanks for the replies.

I have just the one Lemonberry (Fusion Seeds) clone that’s about 5” high at the moment and is under a couple of CFL’s but I’m waiting on a 1 into 4 fitting that I have some small LED’s for. It’s the start of spring in New Zealand so plenty of good sunlight down under and that’s why I’ve been taking out the clone and putting it on the windowsill…direct sunlight from 8am – 1pm and then indirect/shaded till about 4:30pm. I think I’ll keep with this schedule.

Cheers DC3

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Difficult to answer really because It depends how shaded it is when the sun isn't on them.. if it's dropping below 200 umol then they will stretch and it's sub optimal tbh. which is what I find happens in general.

If you live somewhere nearer the equator the power of the sun allows you to get away with more.

At least at 3-4" under the cfl the babies will be getting around 300umol consistently which is what is advised for babies, but it will obviously be inferior to the 1500+ umol from direct full sun.

I'd stick with your cfls..:2cents:

DC3

Hey there Lost in a SOG...appreciate your :2cents: and now wish I could get my hands on a Light Meter eh? :abduct: More cabinet lighting coming soon, so all good...Cheers DC3

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
IMHO a "micro" grow is not a "universal" grow. Plants have the ability to conform to their environment and, will adjust as required to flourish. IMHO having taken my "tropical bonsais" out in the summer proved to be more of a hassle than any benefits gained (pests). On the latter, a minor set back for Bonsais but, an unwanted one (perticides) for our girls. IMO you are shocking them every time you pull them in and out!

DC3

Thanks Robbie vapez and Switcher56

I never thought about the possibility I was stressing the plant and I certainly don't want to do that...they are such temperamental things.
I was running with the some light good, more is better method but will take onboard what you're saying.

Cheers DC3

grayeyes

Go to a lighting store and buy bigger CFLs. I use 250 watt ones that my plants seem to do well with. 24 watts is what about 10 candlelight?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Plants react to shade similarly to complete darkness, may be able to flower them outdoors to finish in the shade spot if started flowering for about a week indoors first.