What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few apples fell from my neighbor's tree branch which hangs over onto my property.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I picked them up and kept them. He called the police on me for "stealing food" and threatened to sue me. Will the police do anything? Does he have a case?

Good neighbors are good to have. I would apologize and ask if I could give him anything in return? Venison works very well but if you don't have that in the freezer maybe buy the old guy an apple pie.

Good relations with neighbors is paramount in what we do. Small kindnesses go a long way.

Can I ask? Why did you not return the apples? I would've picked them up and ate them as well. My dog loves apples also. :biggrin:

I sure wouldn't go to war with a neighbor over it.:tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Lol. You're good. Ask the cop if it's ok to cut the branches that are over hanging. I'm pretty sure you could.

In the mean time you should run to the doctor and tell him the falling apple knocked you out and you have had a migrane ever since. Tell the cop so there will be a public record.

You know one simple tiny copper nail will kill any tree right?

frostqueen

Lol. You're good. Ask the cop if it's ok to cut the branches that are over hanging. I'm pretty sure you could.

In the mean time you should run to the doctor and tell him the falling apple knocked you out and you have had a migrane ever since. Tell the cop so there will be a public record.

In the US you can prune your neighbor's bushes or trees that hang over your yard as long as you don't kill them. If you kill them you can get sued.

I have this crazy-ass lady next door who somehow thinks it's my job to go over into her yard and trim my trees on her side. I laughed at her and pissed her off a bit. I tried to explain that this just isn't how it works but she wasn't having any of it, so I told her to just go Google it, the law is on my side. Makes me want to go live somewhere without neighbors.

W

Water-

so you dont take responsibility for your trees because the law is on your side.

its you that is the shitty neighbor

W

Water-

I googled that recently to see if I could kill a tree that is shading my grow spot.

I think you would need like 50 nails and it would take a long time

therevverend

Veteran

MintyMick

I’m pretty sure your neighbor is just suffering from an impacted colon due to the fact that their head seems to be lodged firmly up their ass.

And Wendull is right, good neighbors are good to have. If it were me I would just give the apples back. Or If I no longer have them I would buy my neighbor more. But I like my neighbors and vice versa. One of them even looks after my “green pets” when I am away from home.

Since this neighbor seems a bit like an abrasive shithead I would tread lightly if I were you. Considering you probably grow, or have weed and might live somewhere that it is illegal in my opinion it would be best to just be polite to the from here on out and just chuck the apples that fall into your property back onto theirs.

W

Water-

If I have a branch hanging into my neighbors property than I ask them if they If they want me too cut it.

I grew up in a small community were people took care of each other beacuse they understood we were all in it together.
maybe thats just an island thing, i dont know

if it is my tree than I feel it is my responsibilty to deal with it if it grows beyond my property.

I think the law that you have to cut your neighbors tree is backwards.

George

so you dont take responsibility for your trees because the law is on your side.

its you that is the shitty neighbor

For real!! It IS your job to prune your fucking tree so it doesn’t end up in your neighbors property ya schmuck lol

Wait until the neighbor plants one and it uproots your house foundation and he says “well ya not my job to prune the roots on your property”.

RB56

Veteran
If I have a branch hanging into my neighbors property than I ask them if they If they want me too cut it.

I grew up in a small community were people took care of each other beacuse they understood we were all in it together.

if it is my tree than I feel it is my responsibilty to deal with it if it grows beyond my property.

The law doesn't require you to trim your neighbor's trees. It allows you to trim overhanging branches if they don't trim their own trees. Simple courtesy to discuss the situation first.

green-genes77

Veteran
Pro tip: wait until he's in his yard and eat the apples in front of him, juice dripping down your chin. Wear a straw hat for extra impact.

frostqueen

Where I come from we all just prune whatever branches are hanging in our yards, regardless of the origin of the plant. Hence the law. If everybody does that then everything gets pruned, so actually bitchy neighbors are actually being less neighborly for expecting adjacent neighbors to do their work for them.

We don't make a big moral issue out of the small stuff. Maybe that's a non-island thing.

Badfishy1

Where I come from we all just prune whatever branches are hanging in our yards, regardless of the origin of the plant. Hence the law. If everybody does that then everything gets pruned, so actually bitchy neighbors are actually being less neighborly for expecting adjacent neighbors to do their work for them.

We don't make a big moral issue out of the small stuff. Maybe that's a non-island thing.

Lol every post is him shitting on others from his ivory tower beating his chest on how great his morals and mainstream narrative is. Nothing new

frostqueen

Lol every post is him shitting on others from his ivory tower beating his chest on how great his morals and mainstream narrative is. Nothing new

Well, nothing personal. To each their own, but I don't honestly get why I'd be a 'better person' for doing my entitled neighbor's yard work for her. If trees grow right next to the fence line I am not one who would condone cutting off half of the tree just because it hangs over both yards. If she likes the butchered look of that, whatever. We're talking cedars here. Why would someone want to do that?

I do trim the old timer's apple tree across the street while he tells me WW2 stories, though. Does that earn me good neighbor points?

Badfishy1

Well, nothing personal. To each their own, but I don't honestly get why I'd be a 'better person' for doing my entitled neighbor's yard work for her. If trees grow right next to the fence line I am not one who would condone cutting off half of the tree just because it hangs over both yards. If she likes the butchered look of that, whatever. We're talking cedars here. Why would someone want to do that?

I do trim the old timer's apple tree across the street while he tells me WW2 stories, though. Does that earn me good neighbor points?

+2 points for cutting tree
-1 point for trying to rationalize an irrational thought process

Lyfespan

if you live in america, the apples are yours. branches over your fence are yours to cut, and leaves are yours to rake.

S

Sertaiz

agreed, and in most suburban culture you might not even be friendly with the neighbors enough to trespass on their side to cut, what if you knock something over or their dog bites you?
its a sue all kind of fear, but its real. safer not to go there..... unless you have good neighbor relations already....

we had a neighbor with a golden retreiver when i was younger; that would come into our yard to use the grass when his owners were gone.
my father finally had enough after fuming over many breakfasts and one day snuck up on him and chased him back into his yard, where my dad whipped it out and peed all over HIS lawn....

love that story, i think it worked too..

Latest posts

Latest posts