What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing wide open

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was bored this morning and still have a bunch of Swazi to get in the ground, so I put a couple in the open about 100 feet from a busy country road corner. No trees or bushes to hide it. They are in plain sight. Wonder if they'll make it. If they make it, they'll be huge because of all that beautiful sun. Ill feed and water them regularly. I can get at them from the back so no trail wiil be visible. Lol

PDX Dopesmoker

Good luck, I wonder about what fraction of people put a suspicious eyeball on every patch of weeds they drive past, if its common or if its something that I picked up from guerrilla growing. If its not a common behavior maybe they'll get pretty big I guess

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Lol. I think gorilla growing makes you hypervigilant. I am. I spotted weed growing in a neighbor's garden as i was driving by last year. I kept an eye on it as it grew. Did a bang up job. He harvested after a storm knocked it down.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Righteous plant! That's what I was told they do in West Virginia because its all deep dark forest besides the roadsides! They just go plant off the side of the road. Lots of rippers looking around for it though they say.

Plant it up, brother! Overgrow the state! Spreading the truth in the 3D realm! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck, I wonder about what fraction of people put a suspicious eyeball on every patch of weeds they drive past, if its common or if its something that I picked up from guerrilla growing. If its not a common behavior maybe they'll get pretty big I guess

Guilty! Not many people around here grow, but I'm keeping an eye out too! I came across an 8-9 foot tall cannabis plant one time! The stalk was almost 2 inches across! Just the 1 plant along painted road in the tall brush were people go back to smoke/hang out. Its on the back side of the interstate where the spray painted road meets it. I was proud!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I found this grow a couple years ago. Not in the open really, but just bombing around on the ATV. I caught sight of the tops out of the corner of my eye with my fullface on and I though... "Huh... Pineapples grow here?" lol It was on my land way back in a hard to get at corner. A nice Indica grow that I kept an eye on. The colas/buds were harvested by November, but it was still bitchin after a snowfall. I got a couple baggies worth of popcorn off them.

This spot only gets overhead sun, but has a fantastic spring fed creek flowing at the back of the grow. Dude has a nice spot.

picture.php
picture.php

I have a dozen patches like this this year with more sun, but I think I put them too close together.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
thats a nice crop i only ever came across one plant after coming outta on my spots. it was knee high and needed nutes bad. next time i had visited my spot i top dressed it with marine cuisine and kept an eye on it from distance after that. it turned into little bush and and they eventually harvested it. whoever grew it planted it and didnt come back till harvest

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found this grow a couple years ago. Not in the open really, but just bombing around on the ATV. I caught sight of the tops out of the corner of my eye with my fullface on and I though... "Huh... Pineapples grow here?" lol It was on my land way back in a hard to get at corner. A nice Indica grow that I kept an eye on. The colas/buds were harvested by November, but it was still bitchin after a snowfall. I got a couple baggies worth of popcorn off them.

This spot only gets overhead sun, but has a fantastic spring fed creek flowing at the back of the grow. Dude has a nice spot.

View Image View Image

I have a dozen patches like this this year with more sun, but I think I put them too close together.

Wow! Thats a nice plot! It doesn't take as much light as you'd think. Good man for leaving them to be harvested! :smoke:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Several days ago I discovered a plant in my yard that had taken off out of a pile of composted seed and bird droppings. Lots of rich soil in there. I guess the birds missed a few of the seeds I tossed out there for them. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 33

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
lol. I have a couple growing next to my trimming shed. :)

Mine don't lend themselves to transplanting because they're right up against a wall, but yours should. Or are you gonna let it grow?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Love the sites. Amazing grows. You got dozens of these type of sites. You rock dude.
I'm just fortunate to have them close.

Here's one spot I didn't fill. I only put a dozen in here yesterday but I did a lot of work digging and amending holes. This one is going to be landscaped. :biggrin:

picture.php

Here's one I used last year. I might put a few late starts in there this year. This site gets the run off from the farmer's field (on the left) so when he has corn in it, the Nitrogen runs here en mass. This year he has Soy. Still, it's a pretty health spot because that creek floods to the brim every spring so it gets fertilized by cow shit from up stream every spring. :dance013:
picture.php

I went a little overboard this year and put in more plants than I can probably harvest on my own (typical addict behavior.... more is always better). But I'll do my best. :tiphat:

opiumo

Veteran
I'm just fortunate to have them close.

Here's one spot I didn't fill. I only put a dozen in here yesterday but I did a lot of work digging and amending holes. This one is going to be landscaped. :biggrin:

View Image

Here's one I used last year. I might put a few late starts in there this year. This site gets the run off from the farmer's field (on the left) so when he has corn in it, the Nitrogen runs here en mass. This year he has Soy. Still, it's a pretty health spot because that creek floods to the brim every spring so it gets fertilized by cow shit from up stream every spring. :dance013:
View Image

I went a little overboard this year and put in more plants than I can probably harvest on my own (typical addict behavior.... more is always better). But I'll do my best. :tiphat:

Killer spots dude!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
lol. I have a couple growing next to my trimming shed. :)

Mine don't lend themselves to transplanting because they're right up against a wall, but yours should. Or are you gonna let it grow?
I have it potted up right now. I'm flowering it to see what it is before planting it. If my country was more laid back like Canada I would have just left it.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
TYCHO how are the pest issues, molds, and is bud rot an issue?

My area is technically a watershed so there's lots to worry about depending on where I plant.

If I don't cage, I'll lose 90% to deer, raccoons, foxes and rabbits (a mice logging crew decimated one spot last year with their clear cutting).

Raccoons are the worse. Especially if I plant near a corn field. I've seen them take out 10,000 square feet of corn next to my grow (picture with the creek). My cages were mangled to shit, but the plants survived. So cages are a must in some spots.

Bugs are not an issue. Birds take care of them. Ticks are a big big issue here, but they don't bother the plants and the birds love them. Since I started spraying my boots and pant legs with repellent I haven't had one tick. I suspect spreading lots of bird seed (like a 50 lb bag) in the spring would be good to draw birds in for the season, but I haven't tried that yet.

Deer will eat a whole young plant down to the ground. But once they get to about 3' tall, they don't mess with them I have a couple test spots where I planted right in deer shit on a deer trail. lol. I'm using a sulfur and tree oil spray (the same I use on my apple trees, but 3x stronger) in those spots. I'd love to find something that would help me eliminate cages for deer.

I have a bog that drains well and can hold 10k+ and is in full sun. But it's a slug frat party. The trick there is to clear a 2' circle down to the dirt and cage each plant (deer), then apply slug bait. Copper doesn't do shit to stop them. The ONLY way grey mold can attack your plant is if the spores enter via a wound or damaged spot. The most important things to avoid bud rot is great air circulation followed by zero damage to your plant (more reasons not to top, fim or defoliate in the field).

A new spot has to have several things going for it. I use Google Earth to find potential spots and run through the timeline to see what it's like at different times of the year. When I find one, I do a site visit. Sometimes they look great on GE, and when you visit, it's shit. Other times a mediocre site is perfect. So visiting is paramount. The first thing I look for in a site is great to fantastic air flow. A perfect spot would be a high spot in a bog that floods every year with no trees to disrupt air circulation. The worse is always the very low lying spots. In every case, the only bud rot I've had was from plants I topped, and the plants ended up splitting right down the middle. Even then, the only buds that were effected were touching something like a branch, ground, etc... So I don't top or fim anymore. So good sun, air flow and ZERO damage to your plant is best.
picture.php

picture.php

In every case, I can up my survival rate by 50% using this baby when I plant and again after a couple months and close to harvest. Grass and weeds can cut your air circulation down to zero and allow mice and rabbits to hide. They hate open spaces because owls and hawks are plenty here.

picture.php

The spot with the pond is pretty, but air circulation is only mediocre because there are 14' trees behind me when I took the picture. So I'm crossing my fingers on that one.

I just bought a rototiller attachment for it for next year. I'll still have to do some sod busting, but they'll be better holes.

mikeandnaomi

You have many challenges. Catapillars are my main concern. Do you notice a special teerior specific to your area taste smell etc vs varieties grown in places like Mendocino Sacramento Humboldt etc?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You have many challenges. Caterpillars are my main concern. Do you notice a special teerior specific to your area taste smell etc vs varieties grown in places like Mendocino Sacramento Humboldt etc?
Of course. Most local weed smells and tastes similar. Environment is everything.

If you pick up seeds in Thailand, grow them at home, you won't be growing the same plant. Everything from soil, nutrition, microbes, temp, humidity and angle of the sun to water affects your plant. But you can get close. Sometimes you'll see the words "know your plant" here on ICMag. It's important if you want to bring out the nuances that makes your weed special.

If you want to grow the best fucking weed in the world, find one you love, and then take a few years to really know the plant and how it grows best. Full sun/partial shade, heavy/light feeding/watering, ... I know one old stoner who can glance at his plant and know what it needs or if it has too much of something. He doesn't even know what strain it is anymore, but he's been growing it for decades. His weed tastes like a skunk sprayed in your mouth. The last time I've tasted something like that was the Slurricane I picked up in NYC. Nasty stuff.