What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Landrace] Malawi, Durban (CBG), Ethiopian and Honduras

ikinokori

it does definitely seems like it is ,because it did have purplish notes. i even remember back a few posts in the beginning of the thread me noting one of them had purplish notes :

thank you ^^ i forgot to add to, one of the malawi came out with purplish internode and faded to green afterwards. I don't know what it means, but it sure is interesting

ikinokori

here are some pics overall (i will try to divide stuff fkr each plant to be able to know who is who)

picture.php

picture.php

it is hard to see in the photos but they are all very tall. The honduras is even my almost my size ! It is crazy because her pot was so small, like 1 gallon, seeing a huge beast in tiny pots growing almost bigger than me... she is easily 1m70

still, i really do not regret not topping them. They take so much horizontal space for being in such small pots, specially the ethiopian, i would not have had proper airflow if they would have been fatter. They all fit nicely, and there is proper airflow between each of them and it is getting very crowded. i still do have vertical space although not a lot so it ended up ok.

A lesson i got fron that is that I did learn that i should not let them grow in veg in "big pots " and let them veg during 3 weeks before flipping the switch because it made them stay in their 1 gallon pot for almost 8 weeks and they did not seem to like it at all, i feel that they werent even stretching they already filled their pot with roots.

Next time i will flip them as soon as i see them leaving the sprouting phase and transplant into smaller 1 liter pots, then when stretch will start transplant them in 1 gallon pot so they can stay the whole phase without feeling as rootbound and end up in 4 gallon as soon as the stretch is kver. they managed to stay fine for a long time, but the last week they suddenly started looking not well and repotting them fixed that so they definitely werent happy staying so long there.

also, i have to say all of them are really vigorous. i said it again and again, but they faced big issue like terrible heatwaves and in not so good conditions (tiny pots, not enough food, not enough water...) and they behaved very well. They are all very resilient, the honduras we all know the monster that she is but the ethiopian behaved very well, almost better. They are little champs, facing heat, pests and underwatering better than anyone else. I remember growing some medicine man from mr nice a while ago, and when the temperature went up to not even as high temperature as these ones faced, they litterally burned, the leaves were all clawed and burned. these ones didnt even bat an eye, the ethiopian even seemed to like the heat waves, which is funny because it seems when ut was cold she was also the one who handled it the best. She basically handled everything the best, except maybe nitrogen haha ^^

Last edited:

ikinokori

Durban (the white spots are the remnants of my last serenade spray) :

She smells very strange... Like some very heavy licorice

picture.php

picture.php

ikinokori

Malawi :
Smells very "fresh/light" (meaning it is fresh, because otherwise she smells a lot) like fruity berries, a little bit acidic like red berries. I think there is a much "heavier" undertone in some sniffs i made... or maybe it came from the durban next to her

picture.php

picture.php

Home-Grown

Malawi :
Smells very "fresh/light" (meaning it is fresh, because otherwise she smells a lot) like fruity berries, a little bit acidic like red berries. I think there is a much "heavier" undertone in some sniffs i made... or maybe it came from the durban next to her

Hi, I am very interested in the Malawi and Durbin narcotic strength.
Not interested in the relaxed stone that people often associate with landrace.

Both were on list for breeding this year, but replaced with other strains.
We needed very strong medical offspring, so commercial strains took priority.

I think either of these strains could have potential to create potent offspring with the right cross.

ikinokori

Hi, I am very interested in the Malawi and Durbin narcotic strength.
Not interested in the relaxed stone that people often associate with landrace.

Both were on list for breeding this year, but replaced with other strains.
We needed very strong medical offspring, so commercial strains took priority.

I think both these strains could have potential to create potient offspring in the right cross.

Interesting. I generally do a small smoke test a few weeks before harvest of the bottom branches that wills stay very popcornish. They wont be real smoke test at all, but it is very strain dependant ( it was surprisingly close to the final cured product on my blueberry) so i will try to give my first impressions here when ill do.

Home-Grown

I do/did exactly the same, removing the very small popcorn on bottom that will not mature but taking care to leave every leaf.

Do you smoke straight?

Been breeding for years and often de-seed breeding stock material to smoke.
Can tell pretty much the exact nature of un-seed through smoking seeded.
Lots of practice, but prefer un-seeded of course. Coughing is not a high.

ikinokori

I do/did exactly the same, removing the very small popcorn on bottom that will not mature but taking care to leave every leaf.

Do you smoke straight?

Been breeding for years and often de-seed breeding stock material to smoke.
Can tell pretty much the exact nature of un-seed through smoking seeded.
Lots of practice, but prefer un-seeded of course. Coughing is not a high.

I smoke pure without tobacco. sometimes i vape, sometimes i do a straight joint. I dry them a little bit in shoe box or brown bags before. I rarely had the opportunity to smoke seeded buds, i heard dj short saying the high is different because it has additional cannabinoids ? The most i have is a few seeds there and there, like the 5 seeds from durban because i never leave a male with open flower longer than a day or 2

Last edited:

Home-Grown

Everybody I know could not let a female seed because they "need" the smoke, but cry for seed.
I like AG as much as a Joint, never been desperate or withdrawn.
Just love science.

Yes, Seeded is more oily and the material stringy.
Un-seed Flowers also change on seeded plants.
Seeded Sativa can be filtered for pretty good bubble hash.

Should be around when your plants finish and cure, keep an ear on things.
Cheers

Last edited:

ikinokori

Everybody I know could not let a female seed because they "need" the smoke, but cry for seed.
I like AG as much as a Joint, never been desperate or withdrawn.
Just love science

Yes, Seeded is more oily and the material stringy.
Un-seed Flowers also change on seeded plants.

Should be around when your plants finish and cure, keep an ear on things.
Cheers

i understand wanting pure sinsemilla in commercial grow. for people like me though, i do think the "pollination" issue is not as bad as it is told in many places (like the "kill anything that looks like having slight hint it may be a male / hermie" i saw very often). i wouldnt let a male or a 90% hermie during the entire grow, but I like a small pollination, it is very pretty , makes me some seeds to run after and in the end, on a personal scale, there is almost as much smoke as if they were unpollinated. one of my biggest harvest was also the first one that i did with a slight pollination. also i have found if i do a very early pollination and cull the males, mostly the small single calyxes on the internodes get pollinated since they are the first one to appear and have pistils so it is very easy to pluck the seeds and let the bud sites fatten up normally

in any case every harvest has been really enough for my needs and i'm not really a heavy smoker, i am more into growing the plants, discovering new strains and enjoying different highs so i don't mind not having the biggest harvest ever. That is why i don't mind hermie either, if the strain is interesting but hermie prone it doesnt bother me at all. I do try to remove the nanners in late hermies sometimes, but since i started accepting a slight early pollination i think it seemed to reduce the ocurrence of very late hermie

very interesting for the mention about unseeded flower in seeded plants, does it make a real difference in terms of high / smell ? do you find it better or worse compared to the high of unseeded plant ?

Last edited:

Home-Grown

I do not allow any hermies, when it appears in breeding the approach is to bin it or just breed it out with indica.
So total loss, or making work. Depends on the other qualities.

I find THC is very distinguishable from the effects of Terpenes or Coughing.
THC will still peak quite high just after full bloom, but harvest is another 2 months time for seeded!

Terpenes taste stronger, add a small piece of seed husk, many will pass.
Seeded has not got the euphoric high.
The feeling is relaxed then sedative.

Last edited:

ikinokori

I do not allow any hermies, when it appears in breeding the approach is to bin it or just breed it out with indica.
So total loss, or making work. Depends on the other qualities.

I find THC is very distinguishable from the effects of Terpenes or Coughing.
THC will still peak quite high just after full bloom, but harvest is another 2 months time for seeded!

Terpenes taste stronger, add a small piece of seed husk, many will pass.
Seeded has not got the euphoric high.
The feeling is relaxed then sedative.

oh that is true that about breeding, someone told me you need to wait a lot more because it is harvested much later so the flowers and trichones are beyond ripe. The most clean weed i have smoked was some seeded tropical variety but harvested on time for smoking, not for breeding and the seeds were mostly immature seeds. Maybe to get the "seeded bud" effect, you need to wait for at least a majority of them are mature then ? or maybe it is just the result of waiting much longer to get mature seeds ? I had a self pollinated hermie and a untouched full sinsemilla side to side of the same strain, and they smoked virtually identical, but then again there was tops few mature seeds and the rest was immature.

for hermie dont worry i was talking for personal needs, strains with hermies are not what people want so i totally understand the need to remove/ reduce that from the gene pool

Last edited:

Home-Grown

On un-pollinated Plants the flower swell as if a seed is inside, and heads can become firm.
On pollinated plants the un-fertilized flower seem to gives up it's bulk for fertilized neighbour.
Remove seed when plants are dry to surface, the terpenoids are quite concentrated.
Material dries and breaks down losing flavour quickly after de-seeding process.
Bubble Hash is the "go" for quality material from fully seeded material.

ikinokori

On un-pollinated Plants the flower swell as if a seed is inside, and heads can become firm.
On pollinated plants the un-fertilized flower seem to gives up it's bulk for fertilized neighbour.
Remove seed when plants are dry to surface, the terpenoids are quite concentrated.
Material dries and breaks down losing flavour quickly after de-seeding process.
Bubble Hash is the "go" for quality material from fully seeded material.

thank you, these are great informations. i do not do real pollinated grow as of right now but i do plan to start seed focused grow one day to reproduce rare strains and always wonder how i could do to not waste the rest, or even if i could leave the calyxes after the seeds are gone and you also answered that so thank you. i never thought about the hash route, i will definitely do that then.

Home-Grown

Your welcolme.

Beats drying to dust and beating the plant in a bag.
I put the partly dry material in ice water and hit it with a paint mixer before filter bags, but whatever you folk do there.

Just remembering when I left seed in a dry material batch, and how many seeds shot in waste after all the ice treatment.
There is certainly something in that mix of air and ice, that seems to make the seeds shoot together?

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Lovely updates ikinokori :)

Love the way they are reaching mid flowering :yes:
You really manage to keep them with a very desirable structure and size without overgrowing the indoor space, which is not easy when growing such tropical sativas from seed in a small cabinet, so great job! ;)

The Honduras is indeed a beast :D Geranium aromas are common in this strain in flowering. Looks like she will yield very well.

The Ethiopians produce very little smells in the first half of flowering .... later the spicy, woody fermented lemons terpenes are more evident in the second half.
Both Ethiopian and Honduras are not very smelly strains in flowering.

The Malawi is looking great so far, although it's better to wait until second half of flowering to identify better her pheno and aromas.

The Durban looks great as well! Liquor aromas are distinctive terpenes in legit Durban strains. A very interesting release by Cannabiogen.

I also believe is beautiful to produce some seeds with the current plants you are growing. Heavily pollinated plants produce less resin, less terpenes and usually the terpene profile is degradated by the efforts of the plant to mature all the seeds which inevitably causes a degradation of overall plant health. The high from heavily seeded buds can not be compared with the effects of the same flowers unseeded, although it can give you an idea of the profile of the plant.

You can selectively pollinate the lower buds of your plants by isolating them outside the tent and doing carefully the pollinations by hand in the lower part of the plant .... the remaining upper plant will be unseeded for the most part if done properly and you will be able to experience the potential of the plant and at the same time harvest some precious seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts