What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orange Grove guerrilla grow

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, so far this season my plants seem to be doing a better job of growing themselves than I am at growing them. :)

Last season I grew my plants out of contractor bags with about 14 gallons of Happy Frog soil added, a gallon of perlite, and fertilizer (Jobes Organic all purpose and bone/blood/feather meal) for each plant. Holes punched in the bottom of the bags allowed for drainage and roots to search deeper for water. At the end of the season I cut all the buds and colas off and what was left were skeletons and bamboo stakes.

I'm guessing that some seeds fell down into the bag when I harvested in October. That was the 11 foot Northern Lights (my largest plant) which came out of that bag so it must be NL X Orange Grove.

Definitely deserves a re-pot. Hole was 14 inches deep, 25 inches wide. Holds about 30 gallons. Recycled Happy Frog and perlite, mixed with commercial NPK 12-12-12 fertilizer. Straw on top to act as mulch. Plant was given a much deserved watering.
:plant grow:

I must add that those military type folding shovels are an excellent tool for the field. It collapses and is easy to carry, as well as being able to dig a hole of this size in a reasonable amount of time. Can also be used as a pick ax or hoe.

Awesome! So cool! God is with us, brother! He wants to bless us and teach us things! Now you know you can start earlier! Cannabis likes to get going early. That plant will yield well! Thanks for sharing! Have a good weekend!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
A picture of the plot and some of last seasons skeletons. Crazy how quick nature begins to take back over.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 36
R

Rab.C

that wee seedling looks great JustSomeTomatoes can i ask when growing outdoors
do you top the plants.or do you let them do there thing.i think its class growing outdoors

JustSumTomatoes

that wee seedling looks great JustSomeTomatoes can i ask when growing outdoors
do you top the plants.or do you let them do there thing.i think its class growing outdoors
Thanks Rab! I prefer not to top outdoors because when I did it in the past I had a plant split right where it forks from the stress of the weight. Outside they get pounded by the wind and rain and are strongest as a single collum. Last year a deer topped one of my Orange Groves for me and it turned out great with lots of support from staking.

JustSumTomatoes

Just got out of the shower after returning from the plot. Totally covered in mud, scratched up by briers and saw grass, and have a few mosquito bites to boot. My lower back is killing me (been having problems recently) and I'm enjoying the buzz off an edible made from last years Orange Grove. Feeling good. :dance013:

Snapped this pic of the OG seedlings before taking them out to the plot, I'm planning on planting 4-5 of them. Never hurts to have extra as it has saved me a couple of times before. Also dropped off some garden fencing stakes, so no more using flimsy sticks and tree branches that break and need constant repair. It was quite amusing stopping on a bridge and tossing a bundle off than recovering it later on the way to the grow, seedlings under arm. I will stop back out either today or tomorrow and get everyone planted.

Better late than never.:clock watch::plant grow:

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 42
R

Rab.C

hey JustSomeTomatoes your wee seedlings are looking good man.cant wait to see there
growth over the next cpl of weeks...

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just got out of the shower after returning from the plot. Totally covered in mud, scratched up by briers and saw grass, and have a few mosquito bites to boot. My lower back is killing me (been having problems recently) and I'm enjoying the buzz off an edible made from last years Orange Grove. Feeling good. :dance013:

Snapped this pic of the OG seedlings before taking them out to the plot, I'm planning on planting 4-5 of them. Never hurts to have extra as it has saved me a couple of times before. Also dropped off some garden fencing stakes, so no more using flimsy sticks and tree branches that break and need constant repair. It was quite amusing stopping on a bridge and tossing a bundle off than recovering it later on the way to the grow, seedlings under arm. I will stop back out either today or tomorrow and get everyone planted.

Better late than never.:clock watch::plant grow:

Cool! Still time left! Those seedlings are on the move! They will catch up quick once they get planted! :smoke:

JustSumTomatoes

Stopped to check on the other 7 OG seedlings (the ones I hadn't dropped off at the plot) and they were gone. :cry:

This area wasn't too far from where I live (made care easier) but I always had a feeling one day someone would find them. They weren't hidden as well as they are at the plot. But hey, I have all the seedlings I need and a few extra at the plot, and have the one I found in the birdseed pile potted up in a different location. This is just part of the game.

Since I'm tight on time and the plants are already in the field, I'll just have to wait until they're full grow until I sex them. I'm also considering doing a plant or two in the swamp I mentioned earlier. Couldn't make it out yesterday because it was storming (no surprise) so hopefully today will be the day I get the plot settled.

JustSumTomatoes

Stopped out at the plot yesterday and got all the grass cleared out and another hole dug with a seedling put in. Didn't even bother to water it cause I knew we would have rain all day today and tomorrow. The creek I had to cross was blown out and chest deep in some places. The plot was a total mud pit which makes me concerned for the ones in the ground. Afghani's aren't fond of being waterlogged for long.

JustSumTomatoes

Had quite the night... First off, work at the plot is complete. Things were even muddier than they were before, which is kind of the problem I had last year that led to me choosing to pot them in the contractor bags instead of putting them in the ground.

So, I made a change in plans and decided to pot the remainders in last years bags. This will protect them from becoming waterlogged but will mean I'll have to make more visits... Which means I will be uploading more photos more often. :woohoo:

Should be an interesting comparison between the 2 plants in the ground and the 6 in the bags. I broke up all the clumped soil in the bags and added an extra 5 gallons of soil + several handfuls of fertilizer (12-12-12.) Plants were put in and given a cup of water each. Plenty of rain coming up this week so no worries on them being dry. Fence posts were put up and 3 foot high chicken wire was put around the plot. Let the good times grow!

Now for the fun story to go with it... The water levels in the creek were at waist level when I arrived, less than yesterday. I put my mountain bike against the bank, went back to the plot, and got to work. A storm came through (did I mention being soaking wet while holding metal fence posts with lightning is fun?) I continued to work, and when I got done and started to head out I realized that a flash flood had happened. The water was 4-5 feet higher than when I had arrived and was flowing quickly. My bike was no longer visible and was completely under water. I had to swim across the creek while being pushed further downstream. The water must have been close to 8 feet deep and my feet didn't touch the bottom. :help: Managed to grab onto a tree and pull myself to the other side where my bike was at. Used my legs to feel for it and to my surprise it hadn't been washed away. Dove down and pulled it back up while pulling myself out using tree roots. Totally covered in mud and soaking wet I took an alternative land route to get out of there and went home to enjoy a well deserved shower. :)

It will be a week or two before I head back. Like I said, lots of rain coming so this will do the watering for me. I will get pictures next time I'm out and there's sunlight. Forgot to mention for the hundredth time but the amount of rain we're having this year is unreal.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had quite the night... First off, work at the plot is complete. Things were even muddier than they were before, which is kind of the problem I had last year that led to me choosing to pot them in the contractor bags instead of putting them in the ground.

So, I made a change in plans and decided to pot the remainders in last years bags. This will protect them from becoming waterlogged but will mean I'll have to make more visits... Which means I will be uploading more photos more often. :woohoo:

Should be an interesting comparison between the 2 plants in the ground and the 6 in the bags. I broke up all the clumped soil in the bags and added an extra 5 gallons of soil + several handfuls of fertilizer (12-12-12.) Plants were put in and given a cup of water each. Plenty of rain coming up this week so no worries on them being dry. Fence posts were put up and 3 foot high chicken wire was put around the plot. Let the good times grow!

Now for the fun story to go with it... The water levels in the creek were at waist level when I arrived, less than yesterday. I put my mountain bike against the bank, went back to the plot, and got to work. A storm came through (did I mention being soaking wet while holding metal fence posts with lightning is fun?) I continued to work, and when I got done and started to head out I realized that a flash flood had happened. The water was 4-5 feet higher than when I had arrived and was flowing quickly. My bike was no longer visible and was completely under water. I had to swim across the creek while being pushed further downstream. The water must have been close to 8 feet deep and my feet didn't touch the bottom. :help: Managed to grab onto a tree and pull myself to the other side where my bike was at. Used my legs to feel for it and to my surprise it hadn't been washed away. Dove down and pulled it back up while pulling myself out using tree roots. Totally covered in mud and soaking wet I took an alternative land route to get out of there and went home to enjoy a well deserved shower. :)

It will be a week or two before I head back. Like I said, lots of rain coming so this will do the watering for me. I will get pictures next time I'm out and there's sunlight. Forgot to mention for the hundredth time but the amount of rain we're having this year is unreal.

Great work! Get it done! The adventures of the guerilla farmer! Thats dangerous, bro! God protected you there! Thanks for sharing! We're a tough bunch of growers! I love it! Glad you got the bike! Thats deep waters! Our creek did that this weekend! Be careful out there, water is powerful! God is with us, my friend!

Looking forward to watching! The plants will be well watered this year! Behold, God's creation! :smoke:

JustSumTomatoes

Great work! Get it done! The adventures of the guerilla farmer! Thats dangerous, bro! God protected you there! Thanks for sharing! We're a tough bunch of growers! I love it! Glad you got the bike! Thats deep waters! Our creek did that this weekend! Be careful out there, water is powerful! God is with us, my friend!

Looking forward to watching! The plants will be well watered this year! Behold, God's creation! :smoke:
Thanks for the kind words. I definitely get the sense that I'm either very lucky or someone's been watching out for me over the years with all the close calls I've had. Stay safe out in the bush.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

Now that's guerilla growing!!! Sounds like one of my stories man lol, thank god your safe. I got/get myself into some binds in the outdoors. Ive been slipping and falling all over these mtns trying to get plants into my guerilla site. :tiphat:

JustSumTomatoes

Now that's guerilla growing!!! Sounds like one of my stories man lol, thank god your safe. I got/get myself into some binds in the outdoors. Ive been slipping and falling all over these mtns trying to get plants into my guerilla site. :tiphat:
Thanks buddy, I can totally relate to the slipping and falling lol. I would love to hear some of your stories, is there a guerrilla stories & adventures thread?

-BRR-

Excelent log man. Reminds me of the shenaggigans we must go through. The ground/pot comparrison a worthy contrast also. All the best.

JustSumTomatoes

Checked on the birdseed plant and took a couple of pics, man does it look rough. It was covered in all these black and green striped bugs called fourlined plant bugs. Apparently they are extremely destructive (even in small numbers) and attack a wide range of plant varieties. 15% of the bug's body weight is made up of saliva which quickly breaks down plant material. The picture is not one I took, but from someone who studies them.

Still on the fence on what I should do with it. The creek near the plot is totally washed out so I can't take it there now, and the swamp I was thinking of trying is most likely flooded out too... Probably should just put it out of its misery at this point.

Attachments

• 20190618_191621.jpg
    20190618_191621.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190618_191725.jpg
    20190618_191725.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 30
  • plantbug.jpg
    plantbug.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 29

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Checked on the birdseed plant and took a couple of pics, man does it look rough. It was covered in all these black and green striped bugs called fourlined plant bugs. Apparently they are extremely destructive (even in small numbers) and attack a wide range of plant varieties. 15% of the bug's body weight is made up of saliva which quickly breaks down plant material. The picture is not one I took, but from someone who studies them.

Still on the fence on what I should do with it. The creek near the plot is totally washed out so I can't take it there now, and the swamp I was thinking of trying is most likely flooded out too... Probably should just put it out of its misery at this point.

They tore that plant up! Maybe it was several types of bugs. I would plant it out at your plot in the swamp! It may recover. Its getting rain! Why is it getting bugs and not the others?

JustSumTomatoes

They tore that plant up! Maybe it was several types of bugs. I would plant it out at your plot in the swamp! It may recover. Its getting rain! Why is it getting bugs and not the others?
That particular plant is in a different location than the others. The area obviously has a bug issue. I looked closely and those were all I saw. It rained off and on all day and will rain all day tomorrow. After that the weather's suppose to improve for a few days but I have a ton of yard work to do at my place and at a family members house. Sunday I will be leaving town for a week so I'm busy and really pressed on time.

The soil near the swamp is nearly black. Definitely full of organic material. I was thinking of putting it in a plastic bin and mixing it with some potting soil. I'm going to try and stop by either today or Friday and scope things out more. May even try just tossing it in the ground to see what happens.

Here's a picture I took last year of the native soil...

Attachments

• dirt.JPG
    dirt.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Latest posts