What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Containers 100% natural - biodegradable

acespicoli

Hi Ic friends,

Im looking into this becoming a informative thread about suitable food grade containers.
For growing cannabis, prefer natural materials, or food safe alternatives only please.
Health of consumers is the primary concern.

Organic certification as a secondary interest

What has anyone else here experienced with this subject?

Last edited:

elrey

Check it out

Check it out

JPSOR 200Pcs Biodegradable Non-Woven Nursery Bags Plant Grow Bags Fabric Seedling Pots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2Q2H5R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BpsTCbN92RQEG

No transplant shock. They don’t breakdown fast, but are biodegradable.

Hi Ic friends,

Im looking into this becoming a informative thread about suitable food grade containers.
For growing cannabis, prefer natural materials, or food safe alternatives only please.
Health of consumers is the primary concern.

Organic certification as a secondary interest

What has anyone else here experienced with this subject?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been having good success with making my own paper pots out of newspaper.

It took me a bit to get the hang of them. But when I did the plants seem to not slow down at all when put into bigger pots. Especially if you add some microbe booster to the hole.

I normally build them with 2 layers of newspaper so they hold shape. When I plant them into bigger pots, I remove the outermost layer.

acespicoli

JPSOR 200Pcs Biodegradable Non-Woven Nursery Bags Plant Grow Bags Fabric Seedling Pots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2Q2H5R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BpsTCbN92RQEG

No transplant shock. They don’t breakdown fast, but are biodegradable.

I tried these and they were user friendly and the plants seemed to be healthy,
my only concern is what material is used in their manufacture.
Might be a good question to ask on amazon.

Try to melt one with a lighter and see what happens,
the ones I had melted like a plastic. It might have been food safe plastic, not sure.

I've been having good success with making my own paper pots out of newspaper.

It took me a bit to get the hang of them. But when I did the plants seem to not slow down at all when put into bigger pots. Especially if you add some microbe booster to the hole.

I normally build them with 2 layers of newspaper so they hold shape. When I plant them into bigger pots, I remove the outermost layer.

I like these too, did you fold, tape, or staple to hold the paper together ?
What kinda pots are the larger ones you transplant to?
Looking for some larger 1gal and 5 gal sizes as well

nice product, you use them for the entire grow cycle ?

Last edited:

elrey

Yeah, seems like the manufacturer does not want to divulge trade secrets. Several plant based plastics (bioplastics) are out on the market. Hence why it burns like plastic. They are not made from the petroleum refining process. Eventually, they do break down, just takes a while. They don’t absorb water thus mimicking the results of quality fabric pots. Each pack has like 4 sizes of bags allowing you to up-pot, or handle seedlings and cutting alike.

I tried these and they were user friendly and the plants seemed to be healthy,
my only concern is what material is used in their manufacture.
Might be a good question to ask on amazon.

Try to melt one with a lighter and see what happens,
the ones I had melted like a plastic. It might have been food safe plastic, not sure.

nice product, you use them for the entire grow cycle ?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Nothing but friction holds them together. I bought a 3" form and use that. Takes about 30 seconds a pot including ripping the newspaper to size.

Rooted clones are put into the newspaper pots with my soil recipe. They stay in those 7-10 days then get potted into my 25 gallon fabric pots where they veg for 7-10 more days typically before the flip to 12/12.

By the end of the grow, there's very little if any newspaper left.

Latest posts

Latest posts