What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

30-40 year old seed ressurection

H

hunter77

Just found these in a drawer (my junk drawer…things can get lost in there for decades). They’re probably 30 or 40 years old, at least that’s the last time I had a bunch of seeded bud.

They may be Mexican but more likely 70’s redbud since I saved so many (I saved a lot of those seeds at the time).

Be nice to get something to pop, there’s 100’s. May have to start a worm bin, lol.
nice find and the worm bin sounds good to:biggrin:

paper thorn

Veteran
I have 10 + year old seeds that I regularly try to get popped and do the frustrating mom hunt.

I found a company online that sells kits of very light peroxide water in a vial to soak the seeds in for 45 minutes, then into a sugar water mix with an airstone in the bottle to put the seeds under pressure so I guess the sugar and ultralight nutes in the sugar water mix get forced into the seed and help rehydrate the little buggers.

I never used their kits, but tried my own diy version.

I can't say I had any better success rate, but may have, i popped a ton of seeds during that time. i think i showed it in my old seeds, new strains thread

therevverend

Veteran
I just popped some 8 year old seeds, some of it Ace stock with over 50% success rate. Didn't do anything special, forgot to do the peroxide soak. Just stuck them in some wet soil on a heat mat. But the seeds were refrigerated the entire time.

Crazy Chester

Soak seeds in a mixture of 3%Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/8th cup, to 2 cups distilled Water. Add several drops of Liquid Seaweed...Soak for 24hrs. I recently sprouted 17yr old seeds with this mixture...Good Luck!!

Hi Skunkenstein. How were your 17 year old seeds stored?

herbgreen

Veteran
So I was fortunate to have a close friend of my mom who recently passed on at age 94 who has been growing in southern Humboldt/ Mendocino county since the mid 70's pass some oldies on to me a while back, some of the varieties include maziar I Sharif, and afghan from the Khyber pass, as well as a bunch of unknowns, a columbian, and an afghan Cambodian cross, all seeds range from 1979 to 87.

I have germinated a few somewhat wastefully just out of curiosity in the past to see if any would germinate, and yeah I have had success germinating but ultimately with nowhere to cultivate at that time it was just a test to see if some magic would happen.

Surprisingly enough some germinated.. more recently I took a go at the afghan Cambodian and about 5 of 20 sprouted tails, but got stunted and the tails didnt continue to grow, was curious what would be a good way to go about bringing these babies to life. As obviously they are alive, and need a little more than a paper towel germination.

Any advice would be appreciated as this would be radical to unlock some oldie landrace cannabis genetics that could be a solid gold smoke for anyone into the classic nostalgia that would come from these old gals.

If you are in southern humboldt check out kev jodrey he is now offering tissue culture services

https://wonderlandnursery.com/services/

This would be the way to get it done

You can check out youtube and google for diy methods but tissue culture seems like the way to go

Also the worm bin method is worth a try depending on how many seeds you have

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334985

keep trying and dont give up on your seeds dry them back out and try again until they grow! :biggrin:

Iowa Grown

I am a big fan of ground up Willow tree bark tea. The active ingredient in the Willow tree bark is called salicin, it promotes accelerated seed germination, it also completely removes the chance of the virus TMV of every being transferred to your plant because of contaminated seeds. It will also make a cannabis plants root system look like its on steroids if you add it as a supplement to your grow medium in dried and ground up format, or occasionally feed it a Willow tree bark tea feeding as the Willow trees bark also contains one of the profound growth and rooting hormones in nature. And best of all, Cannabis plants respond amazingly well to it, really, they love it!

Skunkenstein

Reply to Crazy Chester...Seeds were found inside a 35mm film canister, inside a Ziplock bag..inside a storage box..Found in garage while digging for a old Truck title...Seeds had been exposed too extreme temperature Swings...Approx 4 out of 20 made it..Good friend made seeds with Male and Female..Seeds were Nl#5/Haze from Red @Legends Seeds.

Crazy Chester

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, Skunkenstein - there's hope for all those old seeds that weren't stored optimally. I shall use your technique on some of my old seeds that were stored in a pill container. Thanks!

White Beard

I’m working on some seeds in the 30-40 year range: first two batches got mishandled, fresh batch going into castings tonight. I’ll report back.

acespicoli

I have in the signature below a seed start section, theres a post on ICmag micro propagation tech
Sterilize and feed sterile nutes till you get some vigor. Depends on how many seeds you have and what the germination% is if you have enough to test... Otherwise treat every seed with the utmost care