What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making Honey Oil Like A Pro, by Master Thai

gordonliu

"making honey oil like a pro"

my question is, are you referring to isomerization, acetylation, or a simple extraction

there are ways to produce a high purity (>95%) extract on a large scale, but they go beyond simple extractions and generally require laboratory glass (more than a sep funnel).

also, i must maintain this:

it is extremely difficult to obtain the solvents necessary to do much of this chemistry in a purity high enough for consumption

lab grade is very far below hplc, and i hesitate to use hplc (depending on the solvent)

it is essentially impossible to obtain pharmaceutical grade solvents (even in a university research setting) outside of industry.

also, electric stoves or any conceivable CMEMORY incarnation of such a device is extremely dangerous when used with flammable solvents.

in a lab, all electronics utilized inside of a hood or on a benchtop are SPARK FREE!!

lastly, because it is impossible to remove 100% of the solvent used in these extractions under any circumstance, i just want you guys to know that even heating for days on end is not going to remove all of the solvent.

you need a small sample quantity (so that the solvent molecules are not too deeply embedded in a matrix) and a high vacuum pump.

even after a day at .02 mm hg, a sample will still contain traces of solvents boiling at 60 or above

Oilmeister

What exactly do you need for a supercritical co2 extraction? Could a growroom tank be adapted in some way? What volume of co2 are we talking about here? It's an interesting concept, if anyone has any links, please post them thx, om

gordonliu

Sam:

I fully admit this is a trivial point to debate, but you can never remove every trace of solvent from a sample. it is both kinetically and entropically impossible. it is thermodynamically favorable (low temps would eliminate the entropic concern), but it will never happen, as kinetics is the practical limitation (it would take a brazillion years)

you can obviously get the purity so high that no analytical instrument other than a orbitrap or FTICR would be able to detect the impurities, but it would still be there, and there is nothing you can do about it.

also, I highly doubt any column in any chromatography based instrument could resolve such similar isomers as (for example) delta 9 and delta 10 THC. (I think that is what it would be called, my terpenoid naming convention abilities are not very great, basically if the double bond was shifted away from the phenolic ring by 1 carbon)

doi:10.1016/S0040-4020(01)99446-3. the delta 10 isomer is the product of the reaction of cannabidiol with PTSA in refluxing benzene (yield 62%). Note: this reaction does not produce delta-9 THC. the product of the reaction (delta 10), however, has an identical UV-VIS spectrum with that of delta-9 THC. the IR spectrum is not superimposable, and there is only 1 difference in the NMR, which is the shift of the vinyl protons from 5.35 to 4.35 (delta 9 vs delta-10, with delta-9 have the more deshielded proton)

If you do use a UV detector, I hope you take every result with a big ass grain of salt...

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone made oil from bubble hash?

I extract oil from bubble hash using ethanol. I just reflux boil it for thirty minutes in Everclear, decant and boil again for thirty minutes in fresh ethanol. Then after filtering, I distill off the ethanol.

I have smoked it at that stage, but usually use as a dense tincture or resuspend it in a menstruum oil.

The effect seems to be more couch lock and less heady than BHO out of the same batch of material, which is what the cancer patients that I make it for are looking for.

Just looking at my notes, I have also extracted oil from bubble hash using Hexane, which retained the heady effect.

GW

by the way that statement wasnt aimed at anybody
anyways peace
i said it cause i saw a heated debate goin on, was it in this thread?

:laughing:this thread is some funny shit:laughing::dueling:just guessing but the amount of butane you inhale while sparking a bowel has got to be much much more than whats left in the oil itself. and if you use matches your inhaling wood or paper smoke and the crap on the tip:wallbash: guess we should go electric