What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Compound...

DunHav`nFun

Did you check the EC of the runoff ?.....do that asap....and hey....I`d use dirt and perlite to start the rest of those babies for insurance since we ain`t sure about your coco yet ok ?.....

Holler back...Freds…..:ying: …...

DunHav`nFun

Did you do a air holding test on that coco before you planted those seeds. It looks like it may hold to much air. Also you want the media to be tight to the roots on little ones. If not they can dry out the roots to fast and possibly die. Especially on little plants.

If it is to porous you will need to keep a eye on them so they dont dry out to fast. Maybe add a little finer cooc where you planted them.
My thoughts too Icky.....not sure if he has access to the smaller stuff though....

Peace....DHF...:ying: …..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I agree with DHF. If you know how to start them in soil do so. Later on when they are a lot bigger you can rinse some of it off and plant them in coco. Coco is only good if your plants live. So start out how you know they will live then move to coco when you are not risking all your seeds.

swapmeet

Did you do a air holding test on that coco before you planted those seeds. It looks like it may hold to much air. Also you want the media to be tight to the roots on little ones. If not they can dry out the roots to fast and possibly die. Especially on little plants.

If it is to porous you will need to keep a eye on them so they dont dry out to fast. Maybe add a little finer cooc where you planted them.

Yes I did the test that you suggested and laid out and it came back at like 75% porous... I took pics of it, I'll post them in a minute.

swapmeet

My thoughts too Icky.....not sure if he has access to the smaller stuff though....

Peace....DHF...:ying: …..

I do have access to the smaller stuff... My instincts told me to stop and get direction... I'll make little soil/perlite starter plugs and get some good roots going.... While that's happening, I'll play with mixtures of brick/fiber/chunks, until I get it right... I'll fix the ones I did already too....

as far as checking the EC, where should I check it? in the water I soak in, the flush runoff, or what?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Check your EC after you flush it. So when you get it run water threw it and when you think all the salt is out run some water threw it and check the EC at that time.

swapmeet

Did you check the EC of the runoff ?.....do that asap....and hey....I`d use dirt and perlite to start the rest of those babies for insurance since we ain`t sure about your coco yet ok ?.....

Holler back...Freds…..:ying: …...

I will take that advice... lot's of tap roots and I don't know if I have the soil/little cups to do them all, so I might have to rig up some bottom 1/3 of a 20 oz cup or something...I've got a couple hundred of those...I'll figure something out...I don't want to leave the seeds with taproots under water too long...

swapmeet

Check your EC after you flush it. So when you get it run water threw it and when you think all the salt is out run some water threw it and check the EC at that time.

Okay thanks, I'll do this in a little while... EC better than ppm? I have both...just wondering...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Okay thanks, I'll do this in a little while... EC better than ppm? I have both...just wondering...

Yes EC is better. PPM have two different scales. One is 500 and the other is 700. You get the PPM by multiplying EC times the scale.

So EC of 1.0 would be 500 PPM on the 500 scale and 700 PPM on the 700 scale. So by using EC you dont accidentally get the wrong number.

DunHav`nFun

I do have access to the smaller stuff... My instincts told me to stop and get direction... I'll make little soil/perlite starter plugs and get some good roots going.... While that's happening, I'll play with mixtures of brick/fiber/chunks, until I get it right... I'll fix the ones I did already too....

as far as checking the EC, where should I check it? in the water I soak in, the flush runoff, or what?
I really don`t like that bird`s nest lookin shit bro..........maybe there`s a wayta grind that stuff down to a smaller finer consistency.....dunno….no worries....save the babies and let em grow some legs in dirt and perlite and let`s find a good mix for transplanting into.....

We gotta do better than what`s in that jar or those cups......As Icky said , that shit`s way too porous and you need ta experiment with smaller stringy stuff and your other chunks with perlite.....you`ll get there.....and....

Check the EC of every damn thing that shit sits in.....just for insurance.....so....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …...

swapmeet

I really don`t like that bird`s nest lookin shit bro..........maybe there`s a wayta grind that stuff down to a smaller finer consistency.....dunno….no worries....save the babies and let em grow some legs in dirt and perlite and let`s find a good mix for transplanting into.....

We gotta do better than what`s in that jar or those cups......As Icky said , that shit`s way too porous and you need ta experiment with smaller stringy stuff and your other chunks with perlite.....you`ll get there.....and....

Check the EC of every damn thing that shit sits in.....just for insurance.....so....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …...

Okay, will do. There are many other coco options... I just read in the past that you used the stringy shit and the chunky shit.... So I got some stringy and chunky shit... Coco is abundant in tropical paradise...we will figure it out. Until then...I'll get these bitches sprouted and their first couple sets of leaves going... Thanks fellas.

DunHav`nFun

LOL....I know Swap....do what you think`s right and then get sent to the principals office on pumps AND fukin grow medium....:moon: ….. it`s all good.....Your chunks will work fine , but the stringy shit I used was small fibers instead of like ground up shit folks were getting back in the day that resembled coffee grounds and would hold water and kill plants.....and that`s the reason I mixed my own shit to insure no root rot....but Bro....

You can get better quality all in 1 without all the mixing as long as you can do the air porosity test and get the right percentages....My shit`s old shit....it worked for me cuz I couldn`t be onsite and hadta make sure shit would make it till I got back as needed , so please.....the perlites great to help maintain moisture retention , but the texture you needta be usin is what Icky has in his containers , trust me.....aight....

Nuther killer day outside , so the dawg said let`s go catch some more fish and have a fish fry , and since it`s Friday and I like fish.....Guess we will , so......Handle it my buddy and holler....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

swapmeet

Well... That ordeal is over... it is 3:00am, and I am lucky I had my girl helping or I would be at it for a couple more hours I am sure. I carefully found the seeds in all 4 cups of birds nest and mixed the soil/perlite, and got everything with a tap root planted... I am going to bed... Here's how it came out...Thanks again fellas.

Planted seeds:

West Side:

East Side:

Group Shot:

DunHav`nFun

Looks good from here Bro....Biggest thing is rootzone aeration with moisture retention in synch.....Do Icky`s air porosity test , but first soak that shit and see how salty it is on your EC meter.....aight.....movin forward...…

Holler....DHF.....:ying: …...

Last edited:

swapmeet

So I fed the Mothers today, about .945 of EC and 5.9 ph... Also, I noticed several sprouts poking out above the soil level...most of which with their helmets on...

So I figured I would ask, and this is to everyone, lurking or active...regarding helmets...that is, the sprout popping above ground with the seed still attached to cotys... basically, a floating seed lol...

I have always been pretty aggressive when it comes to helping the sprout remove the seed... I would give it about 24 hours, then pull out the tweezers... I have killed a few seedlings this way in my day, but what do you guys usually do? Let nature take its course, or give them help... and if help, how long do you wait?

Last edited:

Earlmarne

So I fed the Mothers today, about .945 of EC and 5.9 ph... Also, I noticed several sprouts poking out above the soil level...most of which with their helmets on...

So I figured I would ask, and this is to everyone, lurking or active...regarding helmets...that is, the sprout popping above ground with the seed still attached to cotys... basically, a floating seed lol...

I have always been pretty aggressive when it comes to helping the sprout remove the seed... I would give it about 24 hours, then pull out the tweezers... I have killed a few seedlings this way in my day, but what do you guys usually do? Let nature take its course, or give them help... and if help, how long do you wait?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1990939]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1990938]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81415&pictureid=1990937]View Image[/url]

Ive got horrible germ rates lately but I always help em out

swapmeet

Ive got horrible germ rates lately but I always help em out

How long do you wait before helping them? Do you just drop them in a cup of water to germ? Or do you use the ole' paper towel trick? At least you've got good cloning success now ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts