What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guide for Insects and Pest Prevention

serious6

maryjane: if possible, hit your greenhouse with a portable ozone gen with the doors shut. 3 hours max per day with no animals present depending on size of area.

Fat Tone

To all the guys having problems with budworms or whatever you call them. The ONLY shit I use too kill these budworms is Spinosad. Been using it for 5 years and it works so good that I haven't needed to try any other product. It's OMRI organic so that's a major plus. I get mind from s local store called westlake ace hardware. But any nursery should have it. I think the brand is ferti loom. Not sure. Comes in a brown bottle with a pink label.

Double F

Bt for caterpillars..

What do people use to control ants..partner sprayed foliar with molasses and there are ants climbing up the stems..

djonkoman

Veteran
not foliar spraying with molasses would work... ants like sweet stuff so logical that they go lick off the molasses

-()pium-

I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread in outdoor or a new thread in the infirmary so I decided to post it in here which seems to be a little of both sub forums.

I noticed I have a aphid problem and possibly a small white fly problem at the moment. When I shake the plant I only see a couple white flies come off of it. However the aphid problem is much more severe, they are not on the leaves but imbedded in the pistils/growing buds around the nodes.

My plants are a little over a month old and I believe are still in the veg stage/early flowering stages. I'm not exactly sure because this is only my second grow.

I am currently living in a third world country and cannot find any organic solutions only chemical sprays. So after searching google I found this:
(http://www.mygardeninjapan.com/2011/04/how-to-make-garlic-garden-spray-to.html), I am making two batches, one with olive oil and one with out.

Both will contain garlic, dish soap and onion, I don't have measuring spoons so I am going to eyeball it |:

I currently have the garlic, onion soaking in water and another batch soaking in olive oil.

I am wondering if the olive oil or onion will harm my plants?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
No that shouldn't harm the plants, just spray after dark. I find with oils they could get phyto toxic. Can you not get essential oils in a pharmacy or health shop? There are a bunch that the insects hate, just watch the dose.. For aphids even just sunflower oil and dishwash in a warm water emulsion works well, whitefly will leave with garlic. Also if you can get lavender, thyme, rosemary, citronella, tea tree, also neem oil etc.. Just always watch dose with oils and spray after dark. And use a spreader like dishwash or commercial spreader.

-()pium-

I didn't even think to check the pharmacy, I'll have to do that next time I go into town and thanks for the suggestions on other herbs to use.

I sprayed my plants last night when I brought them in and I went with the mixture that didn't contain the olive oil. The onion and garlic soaked in water for 24hours, then I strained the solution into a spray bottle, added a touch of dish soap and gave them a healthy coat of the solution.

I wake up to take them outside, give them a passionate look over and the aphid, and white fly problem looked to be subdued. Another thing I noticed is that when I took them outside the house flies stayed away from them too, they normally chill on the fan leaves and bask in the sun but today there wasn't a fly around

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
garlic works good for bugs if you reapply a few times... bugs will move on, and they are seasonal too, you can scare them away and they will find new targets hopefully.

too bad we can't grow in screened in tents right? What about some opaque cloth and make net around them>?

GanjaVerde

I have a general neem question. I have sprayed a neem soution for spider mites twice already this season. No extensive infestation, but I have definitely found them in small numbers on a few of my plants. I am about 2.5 weeks into flower, all buds are small with long white pistils.

What is the latest into flower you can spray neem without getting that scent into the buds, and would a drench be possible? Definitely want to knock them down so they don't become a big problem before harvest.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Neem is not a knockdown pesticide so what I've found to be most effective is weekly or bi-weekly (depending on how severe your problem is) in veg and then no neem after the second week of 12/12.

As you've noted, there is a very negative effect on taste and smell when applied later in flower.

Last edited:

Bleiweis

Veteran
I didnt know where to post this question so i will post it here and then delete it if i have to! Recently i found a topic which was also about pests and diseases but it had pictures aside...does anyone have a clue which topic that is? I would be very grateful if someone could give me a hint!
Peace

Jon 54

CATERPILLARS !!!!!!!!

CATERPILLARS !!!!!!!!

How or what is the best way of getting rid of caterpillars that get into the buds and ruin a seasons hard work. They are the most frustrating critters and it is a bitch to pick through your beautiful buds at harvest time. I went through it last season in the South. Cali. Desert where I live. Jon

ozzieAI

Veteran
How or what is the best way of getting rid of caterpillars that get into the buds and ruin a seasons hard work. They are the most frustrating critters and it is a bitch to pick through your beautiful buds at harvest time. I went through it last season in the South. Cali. Desert where I live. Jon

i add 5mls/litre of emulsified neem oil and water in once a week...i hear you and have been there and done that...pour the neem...bugs don't come near my plants these days...

good luck

O

OKD

i have had great success with watering neem oil into the roots at 5ml/litre once a week or so. i used to be devastated by grasshoppers and caterpillars but no more.

check this thread here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=253854

I have been spraying a neem oil solution around some of my outdoor plants. It seems to deter grasshoppers and ants. I spray several times/week with a solution of 1 TBS neem oil per quart of water.

Sometimes neem oil sometimes seems to fuck up the leaves on my indoor ganja, as a foliar spray. I don't let them get blasted by the grow lights for about a day after. Does seem to keep problems down used regularly...in my limited experience...