What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Drowned in DWC?

rural

Growing in a 5 gallon bucket, I recently noticed the leaves drooping badly.

Did some quick checks, ph, tds, etc... and noticed my air pump was dead or dying, just not putting out the bubbles.

Quick searching around and I decided the plant was drowning, seems logical. Changed out the pump, lots of bubbles now.

Trouble is the plant never came back. Once it drowned was it too late to try and save it?

I also thought maybe a lot of good bacteria died due to lack of oxygen, and the bad bacteria maybe flourished. Changed out the water, new nutes, ph, etc...

Still won't come back.

I do think it is too late, but anyone have any ideas, tips, etc?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Let it dry out some and put it back in the bubbles is the only thing you can do. Most likely it's done.

Sign

How does this happen? I took a plant newly in flower and removed the air stone, it thrived for another few weeks until it had pollinated a girl then I killed it but it was doing great until then.

I also grew other plants through without ever an air stone.

Based on what I've seen I think it's failure to thrive is from something else. Try dropping the water level so it can breath from the top roots and make sure the nutrient solution isn't too strong

DrDee

rural,
You didn't say whether you treated for root rot...or not. Good idea to swap out water and nutes etc., but if a problem has started on the roots...it's probably still there. So give it a shot of H2O2 or bleach...your favorite treatment...and go from there.
JD

rural

Thanks for the ideas and tips.

I had tried H2o2, forgot to mention that.

I might try and lower the water level next time, if it ever happens again.

gh0stm0de

I second DrDee's conment regarding using h202 to revitalize roots. I personally go the sterile route with dutchmaster zone, but depending on what you are running in your res, you may get great resultd from introducing an ewc or aact(teas).

Based on your description, it sounds like your roots suffered from lack of oxegyn and have not recovered.

Please detail your h202 process. How much did you add? Did you continue to aerate during this time? How long did you expose roots to h202 ?

I absolutely love dwc, but it is not forgiving.