What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

pineappaloupe

Allright. I am a huge fan of lst, even though I havent done it myself. Today that all changed.
Long story short, I inherited 6 ladies, some not as healthy as others. They were being hidden away in boxes, given light when possible for 10 days due to some housing issues.

Anyway, I did not start these plants, and they are not the structure I would personally strive for, but they are plants. So I have some work to do. I plant to flower in 3 weeks because some of the plants are hurtin. The G13 is the healthiest, and big and would be out of control if I did nothing. I plan on training this one to almost a 3ft by 3ft square, or a 2x3 rectangle, depending on the response of the lst.

So here is my weight:

and here it is attached:

More info: I found some mini clothes pins at a drug store, and had $10 in nickels laying around. So I wrapped the coins in duct tape, and hemp string, and tied them into the pin. They should allot for many options.

Here is the G13 weighted down:

and the morning star:

Sorry I dont have any before pics, but they were thick and bushy.

I need some input on this lst plan, good bad or otherwise.
I hope the center of the plant will fill in in the next 2 weeks, and then I can throw a screen ontop of them

peace

S

stonedeconomist

i've never had the opportunity to lst yet either but it looks to me, based on what i've read in this thread, that you have got the plants bent pretty well, if i were you i would either veg them a little longer if i had the time to help them recover from their lack of light ordeal or put them right into flower. my only concern is with the clothes pin i would keep an eye on the stem at that point just in case the pressure from the spring cuases damage to the plant.

i hope the moderators make this thread a sticky and maybe have either the original poster or someone else with lots of practical growing experience organize it a little better this thread is just loaded with information that would be invaluable to people with height restriction or low power lights.

found it.. i was trying to find this post so i could reply and go back to it for future reference....thanks for the tutorial..I'll let you know how they turn out!!!!

One more, last pic was afghanica, here's a pic of ggxmtf. Takes a lot of work, but when your getting over 2 lbs off a 1000 watt light it's worth it

G

I just transplanted this plant...

It isnt exactly in the spirit of lst but uses some of the techniques....

First off the plant was topped....

My main goal was to create a 4 main branch plant....

Another goal was to stay within the limits of the footprint of the 2 liter bottle its in.

The other thing noteworthy is Im not using ties, instead Im using straight pieces of wire(in this container about 7 inches) with a small hook on the end.

Why exactly hardly anyone uses something like these hooks is beyond me....

these are very time efficient....

In a short period of time the branches will react to gravity and stand up again...

Ive never used this method.... but my intention is to create a plant with 3 or 4 main branches instead of a main cola.....

The first step in this process(not demonstrated) was out of the cloner and I bent the clone parallel with the soil using the wire hooks..... it was also topped after the four required nodes.....

This as you can see is a clone and as such shows alternating nodes....

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
stonedeconomist said:
i hope the moderators make this thread a sticky ...

kmanislanders3 said:
found it.. i was trying to find this post so i could reply and go back to it for future reference....

While not an official sticky, you can make this a personal sticky of sorts by "subscribing." Post Reply/Additional Options/Thread Suscription Notification Type, set the button to anything other than "Do Not Subscribe" This will store the thread address in your User Menu under Subscribed Threads.

G

My four headed monster.... four heads are better than one???

NOw I have trained the plant so the smallest branch(foreground) is the tallest.

IMO the hard part is done.... now I simply need to keep the smallest branch as the tallest and apical dominance should cause that one to grow the fastest.... then I can pull the hooks holding the branches down.....

The smallest now was the lowest branch....

Instead of a single cola Im planning on 4.....

all smaller growth has been pruned except these 4 ....

and probably anything on these 4 that starts acting like a new branch will be pruned as well....

It would also be fairly easy to make 4 into 8........ but this is just a proof of principle type experiment.... I may not even flower it.....

Transplanted to her slightly larger digs.... the smallest branch now in the back.... the only one that isnt held down by my hooks.... the original stem is parallel with the ground and is partially buried at this point.... it looks like 4 small plants but its actually one....

Apical dominance applies to each branch generally.... Apical dominance means that the growth tip produces an auxin which inhibits lower growth on that branch.... pinching that growth tip allows growth below that point....
the general principle behind fim....

however I suspect the same is true between branches.... that the tallest branch will get the most grow juice.....

My goal from here is to get that smallest branch equal to the others and then they can all compete in the canopy equally....

Last edited: