What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Gardening

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
About to do round 3 in my veggie gardening career...... Got a tiller this year so its gonna be much nicer! :D Did quite a few rows last year by hoe until finally giving in and renting one! :bigeye:

Still tweaking the list..... Waiting for things to dry up some so we can dig the ground! Got a big ol bag of Espoma Garden tone last weekend!

I'm down for the new forum!

Nikijad4210

Veteran
kurlyq2g said:
I would love to see a general gardening forum here at ICmag.

I have
14 types of tomato this year (+ some "volunteers" that sprouted on thier
own, from tomatos that got burried last year.)
21 squash/zuchini/cucumber plants
3 jalapeno plants
12 green bean plants
8 sunflowers
2 lemon trees
1 loquat tree
a freaking gigantic pomagranet grove.
and the 4 concorde grape vines are making grapes for the first time. (it
takes a few years for them to mature enough to fruit)

I would love to have a place to show my progress, ask for advice, and talk about what we all get at the end of the season.

I have been feeding most of my plants with Fox Farm "Grow Big" and they respond well to it. It really helps them fill in nice and bushy.

any questions will gladly be answered if you just ask me.

Daaaaaaamn, I wanna live at your house :D

JJDubz

Nikki - For herbs, I dont think you should ever have to feed them nutes...We usually just pop some compost at the bottom of the hole we dig, and just water them and let mother nature do its thing...and we have had some 3 foot basil plants before :)

Cheers

JJ

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
JJDubz said:
Nikki - For herbs, I dont think you should ever have to feed them nutes...We usually just pop some compost at the bottom of the hole we dig, and just water them and let mother nature do its thing...and we have had some 3 foot basil plants before :)

Cheers

JJ

Hi JJDubz :wave:

we agree... with a nice compost we only feed water on purple basil and are content,,, but with added organic ferts it will grow some more still.

organic tonic of nettles, sea bird, bat guano, splash of bio biz ferts works wonders on many a herb every now and then

bless up dLeaf :joint:

???any folk got any tips on squashes???

G

So I guess it's safe to say we won't be getting our garden forum............

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
^ Hell no..Let's keep posting pictures of our gardens..they cant ignore us forever :D

Little early here tho..I hope to post something in about a month..

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Just for clarification, Doc & Dubz, I live in an apartment, so the compost at the bottom on the hole dug---Not gonna work, lol. They're in small windowsill containers, so they're not going to be huge plants.Just been needing to know how often to feed potted herbs.

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Don't know if it counts as gardening, but I am growing some serious mold. Maybe it is about time to clean up a few of these cups.....you know it is bad when the milk has turned clear. Takes a few weeks though.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
^^^^^^^^^
unfortunatly i know what you mean....

general garden forum gets my vote looking to start one this year myself.. my landlord gave us a small plot from his garden. ill get a measure maybe you guys can give me a few suggestions

Endo

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nikijad4210 said:
Just for clarification, Doc & Dubz, I live in an apartment, so the compost at the bottom on the hole dug---Not gonna work, lol. They're in small windowsill containers, so they're not going to be huge plants.Just been needing to know how often to feed potted herbs.

cool Nikijad ,,, we grow most of our food-herbs in pots also.

if picking young leaf only, then water will be plenty enough to stimulate nice lush growth in basil. if however, you are growing more mature plants with bigger leaf (say for stuffing fish) then some nutrients might help to produce successive harvests throughout the growing season.

all the best
peace
dLeaf :joint:

n.b. this isn't the place for a gardening forum,,, but there's no harm in a gardening thread since canna-enlightenment takes many guises. :wink:

kurlyq2g

http://www.squashgrowingtips.com/

DocLeaf

You asked about squash? I have had much luck with this type of plant. Currently doing 3 types of squash, and they are moving along very fast.

Already have some baby squash forming on a few of the plants. :woohoo:

http://ag.arizona.edu/gardening/news/articles/10.21.html

Summer squash grow best in a soil that’s been amended with lots of organic matter. To prepare and area for planting, loosen the soil to a depth of 12 to 18 inches by turning it with a spade. Remove stones and rocks and mix in generous amounts of peat, compost, bagged manure or organic potting soil. At a minimum, mix a 4 inch layer of organic matter into the top 12 inches of soil. In addition to organic matter, mix in 1 to 2 pounds of ammonium phosphate or other vegetable garden fertilizer and 2 to 5 pounds of soil sulfur for every 100 square feet of garden bed.

Space Summer squash 2 to 3 feet apart.

Squash, along with melons and cucumbers, have a flowering habit unique among vegetables. They develop separate male and female flowers on the same plant. In order for fruit to develop, pollen must be transferred from male to female flowers. The pollen is sticky and is normally transferred by bees; however this often does not occur. So, hand pollinating is the easiest and best way to ensure fruit development and it’s easy to do.

Don’t be discouraged if your plant(s) lack female flowers. All the early flowers will be males. Female flowers develop somewhat later, so be patient but be ready to hand-pollinate when female flowers do appear.

and

http://ag.arizona.edu/gardening/news/articles/10.html

anyone want to see some more pics of my garden, including some of the baby squash? Let me know.

Last edited:

Dan42nepa

Nikijad4210 said:
I agree, a General Growing forum would be an excellent asset.
I've been growing Lemon Basil, have 4 plants. Still run arcoss questions an internet search doesn't turn up answers for (like how often to feed) Would be nice to be able to confer with other cooking herb growers once in a while when needed.

Niki Last fall I dug up some basil that I had growing outside and potted it and brought it inside. Outside I never used nutes and they grew like crazy. Inside i use anything left over from feeding my other plants but only give them nutes on occaision. I also grew some rosemary and peppers and thyme inside over the winter and everything grew fine as long as i kept it fairly far from the lights.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Oh man, Uncola, those habaneros are making me salivate :D
I used to grow jalapenos, but in containers. They were never very big....But they damn sure tasted fantastic!