What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400W Female Seeds Grapefruit

Tokabowl

Once more its time for a new grow diary. The bagseed are harvested and curing, and... mostly smoked lol. I thoroughly enjoyed every different phenotype, each had its own taste and high and was treat to smoke.

This time around I will be growing 2 Grapefruit plants from Female Seeds.

The setup for the moment is the same as for my last grow, but i will be definitely be getting a scrubber and therefore a bigger (and possibly/hopefully more silent) exhaust fan.

Medium
:
BioBizz All Mix Soil (Peat Moss, Spaghnum peat, Worm Castings, Perlite, Pre-mix, EC: 2.4 , pH:6.2-6.6).
First in 1L pots for 2-3weeks, then 7L pots for remaining veg (2-3 more weeks), and finally in 15L pots for flowering.

Nutrients:
Canna range:
Terra Vega (NPK 14-6-17)
Terra Flores (10-9-19)
PK 13-14
Boost Accelerator
Bio Boost
Rhyzotonic
Cannazym

Lights:
For the first week, under the 200W envirolight (2700K), then straight under the 400W Grolux (cooltube)

Fans:
For the time being: RVK100 4" 175m3/h and i got a small 6" clip on to blow on tops. Intake is passive through louvers in the back of the cab. When Ill be getting the carbon scrubber i think i will need a bigger fan so i will probably get a 5" fan, maybe acoustic, to suck through the filter and the cooltube

Cabinet:
Robin from IKEA, 1m wide, 0.5m deep and 1.6m high

Here are some pics from the day they broke the soil until today:

One of the seeds popped out first, these pics are 1 day after it broke the ground:
99313daysveg.jpg

99313daysveg1.jpg

The same day these pics were taken the other seed popped out of the soil, only this one seemed to have a problem, one of the cotyledon was albino, and so were the tiny leaves that were beggining to grow:

99311dayveg1.jpg
99311dayveg.jpg

But in the end it turned out ok and nicely filled up with chlorophyll :)

These are from 3 days later, the bigger one one the left is 4 days old and the smaller ex-albino is 3days old:
99316_3daysveg.jpg

99316daysveg.jpg
99316daysveg1.jpg
99316daysveg2.jpg
99316daysveg3.jpg

9931IIIdaysveg.jpg
9931IIIdaysveg1.jpg

Now here are some pics from today, I watered them with a bit of rhyzotonic yesterday. The bigger one is 7 days old and the smaller is 6 days old. From now on for simplicity today will be reffered to as day 7 for both plants :joint:
99317daysveg.jpg
99317daysveg1.jpg
99317daysveg2.jpg
99317daysveg3.jpg
99317daysveg4.jpg
99317daysveg5.jpg
99317daysveg6.jpg
99317daysveg7.jpg
99317daysveg8.jpg

As usual, plenty of updates and pictures to come,

Welcome to my cabinet:wave: I hope you enjoy the show

Peace :joint:

darrinjefferson

lookin good tokabowl....this should be a fun one to watch
ive always wanted to grow some grapefruit

this is gonna be fun

late

Last edited:
G

Hey :wave:
Your plants look super heathly so far and great pic's too! I think you will enjoy the grapefruit, I have been thinking about popping a couple but no space right now.
Good luck with the grow!

Tokabowl

Update

Update

Hey guys, thanks for poppin in :wave:

I havent been online for a while so the ladies have changed quite a bit.
They had 2 light feedings so far, and actually they seem to be quite nute sensitive... can anyone who's grown GF confirm this? I was planning on giving them a slightly stronger dose next time around but i wouldnt want to burn them...
Here are a couple of pics of them at 13 days into veg:

993113daysveg.jpg

993113daysveg1.jpg

At day 16 (2 days ago) they got transplanted into the 7L pots, they both had nice healthy roots (not the best pics, but i was in a hurry because i did the error of not watering at all before the transplant so the soil was crumbling apart in my hands, lol)

993116daysveg1.jpg

993116daysveg4.jpg

993116daysveg3.jpg

Some tops after transplant:

993116daysveg.jpg

993116daysveg2.jpg

A couple of hours after the transplant, both plants got a serious tie-down :D
Here are the latest pics, from yesterday:

993117daysveg.jpg

993117daysveg1.jpg

993117daysveg2.jpg

993117daysveg3.jpg

993117daysveg4.jpg

993117daysveg5.jpg

993117daysveg6.jpg

993117daysveg7.jpg

993117daysveg8.jpg

993117daysveg9.jpg

993117daysveg10.jpg

993117daysveg11-med.jpg

:lurk:

Neil, you've grown the GF before haven't you? What kind of stretch should i expect from it? Ive read it does have a tendency to stretch quite a lot... Would it double or rather triple in height after flippin the lights? (considering the LST... :chin: )
I'm thinking of giving them at least another 2 if not 3 weeks of veg for them to fill out the area nicely...

Thanks in advance for any input :yes:

Well, that's about it for now,

Peace
:joint:

G

Yes i grew one out before. It was a while ago but as i remember i think it probably stretched nearly 3x in 12/12. I didn't train her at all. Training is very important with a sat indoor as it keeps in controllable but will increase your greatly too in my experience. Also you will find training helps as I seem to remember that she had trouble keeping buds skyward towards the end.
Sounds like you got a good plan, as long as you keep on top of the training as you flip to 12/12 you shouldn't have any problems.
I cant really remember nute wise, i will see if theres anything on here but have changed computers since so don't have anything here apart from a pic of her flowering.
I hope you don't mind me including a pic, if you want can always remove it!

77377737Plants_14_07_06_028.jpg

Good luck with the grow, i will be watching patiently to see how they do!

Tokabowl

Update 21 days veg

Update 21 days veg

Hey man thanks for that. Please don't remove the pic :D its beautiful. I'll be well chuffed if they turn out half as nice as that one!
I will definitely have to stay on top of the training, they are responding really well to the LST and have loved the transplant. One of them is getting a head start on the other, but they're both exploding with growth.

One slight problem, however, is that my ballast for the 400 watter has died on me... It started making a very load buzzing noise when it was supposed to turn on, and simply never turned on. I have no idea what couldve caused this (is it possible its just the lightbulb?). The 400 is plugged into a contractor timer (which still works fine, btw) so no overload is possible, and the ballast+bulb are only a couple of months old!
I believe there was a 1 year warranty so Ill have to hook that up.

In the meantime the plants are huddling under the 200W envirolight, and I'll add the 150w hps too if the ballast takes to long to get changed...

Here are some pics

993121daysveg.jpg

993121daysveg1.jpg

993121daysveg2.jpg

993121daysveg3.jpg

993121daysveg4.jpg

993121daysveg5.jpg

993121daysveg6.jpg

Both of them are now showing pre-flowers too, and luckily both are female!
The pre-flowers started showing at the 5th node about 19-20 days into veg.
I wasnt able to get a proper shot of them but you can get a clue here:

993121daysveg8.jpg

993121daysveg9.jpg

993121daysveg10.jpg

993121daysveg11.jpg

:canabis:

Peace

G

I know this may sound a bit simple. But i would unplug your ballast from the wall and try the bulb make sure you cant tighten it anymore. Check the wires to whilst your at it. I am sure you may have done this but its always solved my problems so far.
The plants are looking great anyway!

G

Tokabowl said:
They had 2 light feedings so far, and actually they seem to be quite nute sensitive... can anyone who's grown GF confirm this? I was planning on giving them a slightly stronger dose next time around but i wouldnt want to burn them...

From my experience Grapefruit is a nute sensitive strain. I would bump up the feeding ec a little and add some Ca and Mg. She can triple in height in flower but the LST should keep them under control. If ya take care of her shell reward ya with some fat, juicy buds. :D

Tokabowl

Update, 24 days of veg

Update, 24 days of veg

Hi Indophiliac thanks for the input. Im going to feed them tonight, think Ill go with 1/2 strength for this time. Lovely bud you got there by the way!

neilspotshop said:
I know this may sound a bit simple. But i would unplug your ballast from the wall and try the bulb make sure you cant tighten it anymore. Check the wires to whilst your at it. I am sure you may have done this but its always solved my problems so far.

Cheers man :yes: The bulb was on as tight as it went, but i unscrewed and put it back in, turned it on and VOILA! So it worked until the next time it had to turn on (this evening) when it did the same thing all over again... So I unscrewed the bulb again, put it back in and now it works once more lol...
I checked the wires and they all seem ok (both the ballast and the cooltube were pre-wired when bought)... :confused:

Anyways, here are some pics from today:

993124daysveg.jpg

993124daysveg1.jpg

993124daysveg2.jpg

993124daysveg3.jpg

993124daysveg4.jpg

993124daysveg5.jpg

993124daysveg6.jpg

993124daysveg7.jpg

993124daysveg8.jpg

993124daysveg9.jpg

Peace

G

The plants are looking great they seem to be getting more sat looking as they mature but maybe its me hehe.
I don't know loads about ballasts but it sounds like it might be faulty? if its under warranty i would contact the people you got the light from and explain the problem. I am sure anyone who sells lights could probably sort it out really fast.
Nice Pic's :joint:

Tokabowl

:badday:

Well, I watered the ladies last night (1/2 strength nutes)... On waking up this morning, I decided to tie the big one down a bit more...

Guess what?

The whole top of the plant snapped off, the upper 4 nodes all with descent side branching starting to grow :badday:

I was actually thinking of topping them to slow down the vegging a bit, but not this much!! I must've lost at least a week of veg here, this really sucks.

9931topped.jpg

9931topped1.jpg

9931topped2.jpg

Here's the other (untopped)
9931topped3.jpg

Oh well, just thought Id share this little mishap, lets just hope she recovers well...

Peace

Edit: Moral of the story = Don't LST after having watered the plants, the cells are full of water and much more fragile and prone to burst, making it very easy to snap a stem...

Last edited:

cobo

lookin good Tokabowl , i've my chair pulled up to watch you, . :joint:

Im about to start a new grow soon myself , moving out of my closet to a homebox and 600w didital , the smell was stinking my bedroom out last grow.

cobo

Tokabowl said:
The setup for the moment is the same as for my last grow, but i will be definitely be getting a scrubber and therefore a bigger (and possibly/hopefully more silent) exhaust fan.

Medium
: Peace :joint:

Have a look at my grow tent thread , 5" fan and filter 105 pounds str.

Tokabowl

Hey Cobo thanks for popping in mate :wave:
Cheers for the info about the fan and scrubber too, that looks like a great offer. I was thinking of maybe getting an acoustic fan though:

9931acousticfan.jpg

Has anyone used one of these before? Are they really that much more silent than the RVK (100 in my case, 4") and worth the extra £?

cobo said:
the smell was stinking my bedroom out last grow.
Hehe I know exactely what you mean, the small Vaportek unit didnt quite cut it for my stinky bagseed, and these GF are already starting to smell a fair bit too.

cobo said:
moving out of my closet to a homebox and 600w didital
I was thinking of getting one of those homeboxes too after reading your thread but, in the end decided not to mainly for stealth reasons.

Good luck with your grow :yes: what genetics are you popping this time?

The GF are doing really well. The one that was topped by accident seems to have recovered ok. I also topped one or two of the stretchiest branches on each of the plants to limit height, and they have responded well to that too.

They are back under the 400W now, I received a replacement ballast (worth twice as much as the original one!) within 24 hours of calling the store, now that's some customer service!

Here are some pics from yesterday, they were a bit thirsty at that point hence the drooping leaves:

993131daysveg.jpg

993131daysveg1.jpg

993131daysveg2.jpg

993131daysveg3.jpg

993131daysveg4.jpg

993131daysveg5.jpg

993131daysveg6.jpg

993131daysveg12.jpg

993131daysveg7.jpg

993131daysveg8.jpg

993131daysveg9.jpg

993131daysveg10.jpg

993131daysveg11.jpg

I think I will transplant them into their final 15L pots and start flowering in a couple of days, the nodes are alternating and there are (female) preflowers on nearly every top too.
For the moment they have been fed only twice with 1/2 strength nutes (and full strength rhyzo and zym), and dont actually seem to be asking for much more...

Well thats about it for now,

Peace

mrgrowmez

Hey toka,

its looking great man, hurts to look at the picture of the snapped off top ....i feel your pain but they seem to be picking up quite well....nice pictures as well man. im growing in the exact same closet as you with some other modifications.......
keep on growin strong bro

G

Looking good! Nice and bushy i think these ladies are going to turn out super :)
Sounds like you did ok with the grow shop! do you mind mentioning who they are? they should get props for doing that anyways!
keep up the good work and get these ladies flowering i am dieing to see how they turn out!

Tokabowl

34 Days of veg

34 Days of veg

Hey mrgrowmez :wave:
Good job with your cab! I really like what youve done, good idea to have that little clone box next to it too :yes:
The next thing im going to change in my cab is the intakes for fresh air. I feel i could have a lot more air coming in, and that will be even more needed once i get a bigger fan.
mrgrowmez said:
what distance is your light from the top of your plants?
Usually the light (in the cooltube) is in between 20 and 30cm away from the tops. It depends on the temperatures i have in the cab, on a cold day I can have it 20cm away without any problems, but if its hotter 30cm is the closest i can get it without the temps getting out of hand...
This is thanks to the cooltube however, without one i believe you should keep a 400W about 40cm away from tops :2cents:

On another note mrgrowmez, thank you very much for the pointer towards Supersci in the "What are you listening to" thread. Thats some seriously good sound :yes: Could you let me know of more swedish hiphop and the likes please? Ill be glad to point you to some of my favourite artists too :joint: (PM?)
Thanks!

neilspotshop said:
do you mind mentioning who they are? they should get props for doing that anyways!
Hi neil, yea i agree, they should get the props, so ....
Thank You GroWell!
I should add, they have a great selection of products, great stock, good prices, fast and very stealth shipping (plain boxes and well protected) :yes:

Anyway here are some pics of the ladies, I transplanted them 15L pots yesterday and gave them another tie down but ran out of string lol so ill finish that tonight... They were nicely rootbound in their 7L containers, i think they should appreciate the upgrade. They also started to look more hungry than they ever have so far, so just after the transplant i fed them a nearly full strength meal.
I also switched the timer so they will have their first 12h sleep tomorrow.
993134daysveg.jpg

993134daysveg1.jpg

993134daysveg2.jpg

993134daysveg3.jpg

993134daysveg4.jpg

993134daysveg5.jpg

993134daysveg6.jpg

993134daysveg7.jpg

993134daysveg8.jpg

993134daysveg9.jpg

993134daysveg10.jpg

:lurk:

Peace

G

Looking great man! Nice Training :D.
Shouldn't be long before they start reaching for the sky.
Good luck with the grow!