What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing containers

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If you use an aluminium tin to put cured weed in you can make the plant material separate from the hash..

Resin, because it’s conductive, becomes charged by the shaking, and sticks to the lid, while the plant material, being non-conductive, is repelled by the lid. So, incredibly, pure hash, easy, at home! (Even pure resin itself is only 50% cannabinoids, that is, CBD, THC and CBN, the rest being non-psychoactive oils that contribute to smell, taste, etc.) It’s a little hassle.

Now before you smoke it, listen to what every hash farmer around the world knows: don’t smoke unpressed resin. It’s not as good as pressed resin, and can give you quite a headache! I don’t know why, but heated and pressed resin is smoother and stronger than not pressed.

Perhaps some of the CBD’s get converted to THC by the process, or maybe there’s something in raw resin (wax?) that’s not too good for us to smoke, and the heating and pressing releases or eliminates this substance. I don’t know the reason, but I do believe it.

Heating can be accomplished by hard hand pressing alone, but it takes longer to change the powdered resins to a homogeneous piece of charas. In India, many sadhus carefully and gently wash their ganja with cold water before they squeeze dry and smoke it. I use to think them crazy. But now I realize that the water extracts only the non-active bullshit and leaves all the THC and probably a cooler and better taste. This illustrates how little we truly know about this wondrous herb, and if we can just open our heart and eyes, how much more there is to learn" Sam Skunkman 1979

amanda88

51fRmbdmaJL._AC_UL320_.jpg

lol is mine

just ensure you can get your hand out ....lolol

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I just had a message from DocLeaf & he is looking through the books to find the Author of the Curing book. I should have kept it with my growing cannabis in the northern hemisphere & cooler climates :)

Anyway he's far more organised than the clone boy is,

picture.php

Took 30 seconds apparently.. Big up DocLeaf!!!

Drewsif

There are types of plastic that store cannabis better then glass.. You need to research it..

I keep hearing this. I use plastic for curing, because it slowly releases moisture, allows just enough gas exchange and doesn't soak up or change smells, but wondering if there's a better plastic out there?

And whoever says vacc sealers crush buds needs to learn throttle control..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I use glass jars for long term storage. I don't want plastics even as a liner for the cap, so I always get the ones that have a glass cap and a silicon gasket. I tried plastic (food grade) containers and I was dissapointed. More trichomes were present at the bottom of them after I emptyed them. I guess it's because they are maleable so u move the buds around more when manipulating and also cause of static electricity. Also, I compared trichomes that fell into the plastic containers to those that fell into the glass ones, from same plant and after same curing and storing time. The ones in plastic were deeply amber (oxydised), while the ones in glass were a bit amber, but closer to translucent, actually so close that you would almost not see them with naked eye while there were on the glass. So.. never again in plastic for me.
Also tried keeping weed in spanish cedar humidors. I like the result, it's not better or worse than a strain with nice taste, it's just different. I won't do it to all or most of my stash, but i will put some buds in there from time to time (like if I got 2-3 of them at the bottom of the jar) or if I forget a jar without it's cap in place and I have to add a bit of humidity to it.
My 2 cents.
I also tried

Last edited:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I keep hearing this. I use plastic for curing, because it slowly releases moisture, allows just enough gas exchange and doesn't soak up or change smells, but wondering if there's a better plastic out there?

And whoever says vacc sealers crush buds needs to learn throttle control..

Vacuum packers destroy the terpenes destroy the flower structure. Ultimately your looking to get a kilo as small as possible for packing & shipping so the crushing is ideal..

The only way to prevent crushing is to pack it in something first that won't allow terps to evaporate but this means double packing..

Basically I worked in the food industry for a lot of years & I have seen how bad food oxidises in glass compared to plastics that are new & seal well.. Regardless of the mason jar or whatever I have been there done it. & the lids & silicone last one use. They are as bad as 1 use plastics.. It's just glass & plastic snobbery.. I'd sooner make a plastic pipe that buy a glass one & I prefer coconut & bamboo.

Horses for courses. I store multiple kilos inside plastic under a Lantana bush in a plastic barrel & it's no different to glass stored stash in the fridge. Except the cost & the size of the vessels. No change in any of the plants parts are apparent in either method it's just easier to use plastics. There are some good plastic out that are used & designed for storing cannabis...

Miasa Mura

"If you use an aluminium tin to put cured weed in you can make the plant material separate from the hash..

Resin, because it’s conductive, becomes charged by the shaking, and sticks to the lid, while the plant material, being non-conductive, is repelled by the lid. So, incredibly, pure hash, easy, at home! (Even pure resin itself is only 50% cannabinoids, that is, CBD, THC and CBN, the rest being non-psychoactive oils that contribute to smell, taste, etc.) It’s a little hassle.

Now before you smoke it, listen to what every hash farmer around the world knows: don’t smoke unpressed resin. It’s not as good as pressed resin, and can give you quite a headache! I don’t know why, but heated and pressed resin is smoother and stronger than not pressed.

Perhaps some of the CBD’s get converted to THC by the process, or maybe there’s something in raw resin (wax?) that’s not too good for us to smoke, and the heating and pressing releases or eliminates this substance. I don’t know the reason, but I do believe it.

Heating can be accomplished by hard hand pressing alone, but it takes longer to change the powdered resins to a homogeneous piece of charas. In India, many sadhus carefully and gently wash their ganja with cold water before they squeeze dry and smoke it. I use to think them crazy. But now I realize that the water extracts only the non-active bullshit and leaves all the THC and probably a cooler and better taste. This illustrates how little we truly know about this wondrous herb, and if we can just open our heart and eyes, how much more there is to learn" Sam Skunkman 1979

Hey Mate Dave!

Good to know about the aluminum being static and pulling the trichromes from the flowers. Thank you!

I have read about Hindus washing off flowers before smoking and think it’s pretty interesting. It’s worth a trial in my opinion, more experiments this harvest :)

Miasa Mura

So I just had a message from DocLeaf & he is looking through the books to find the Author of the Curing book. I should have kept it with my growing cannabis in the northern hemisphere & cooler climates :)

Anyway he's far more organised than the clone boy is,

View Image

Took 30 seconds apparently.. Big up DocLeaf!!!

Thanks for looking into this for me Mate Dave!

Miasa Mura

I use glass jars for long term storage. I don't want plastics even as a liner for the cap, so I always get the ones that have a glass cap and a silicon gasket. I tried plastic (food grade) containers and I was dissapointed. More trichomes were present at the bottom of them after I emptyed them. I guess it's because they are maleable so u move the buds around more when manipulating and also cause of static electricity. Also, I compared trichomes that fell into the plastic containers to those that fell into the glass ones, from same plant and after same curing and storing time. The ones in plastic were deeply amber (oxydised), while the ones in glass were a bit amber, but closer to translucent, actually so close that you would almost not see them with naked eye while there were on the glass. So.. never again in plastic for me.
Also tried keeping weed in spanish cedar humidors. I like the result, it's not better or worse than a strain with nice taste, it's just different. I won't do it to all or most of my stash, but i will put some buds in there from time to time (like if I got 2-3 of them at the bottom of the jar) or if I forget a jar without it's cap in place and I have to add a bit of humidity to it.
My 2 cents.
I also tried

Hey Explosiv!

I have preferred to use glass too. I notice the more delicate resin that is pulled off from static gives the flowers more robust flavors with more dimension and texture than the less mature glands that remain attached to the flower. Of course this is a generalization, not all of these more “desirable” trichomes are pulled off. I’m really looking at the most subtle aspects of the curing vessel and cause and effect to bring out the peak performance from the garden. Thank you for sharing your method!

Miasa Mura

My 2 cents.
I also tried

Hey Explosiv!
Really cool to hear about your humidor trials. Did you notice and subtleties that you might elaborate on, Spicey, smooth, harsh?

Thanks again!

Miasa Mura

Vacuum packers destroy the terpenes destroy the flower structure. Ultimately your looking to get a kilo as small as possible for packing & shipping so the crushing is ideal..

The only way to prevent crushing is to pack it in something first that won't allow terps to evaporate but this means double packing..

Basically I worked in the food industry for a lot of years & I have seen how bad food oxidises in glass compared to plastics that are new & seal well.. Regardless of the mason jar or whatever I have been there done it. & the lids & silicone last one use. They are as bad as 1 use plastics.. It's just glass & plastic snobbery.. I'd sooner make a plastic pipe that buy a glass one & I prefer coconut & bamboo.

Horses for courses. I store multiple kilos inside plastic under a Lantana bush in a plastic barrel & it's no different to glass stored stash in the fridge. Except the cost & the size of the vessels. No change in any of the plants parts are apparent in either method it's just easier to use plastics. There are some good plastic out that are used & designed for storing cannabis...

Hey Mate Dave!

For long term storage, cost efficiencies, maintenance, the food grade plastic buckets are great. I would recommend them to anyone is running a farm where selling ganja is the business.

I’m really looking at the smallest and most nuisanced quality brought about by the change in vessel. Just read yesterday that some big time wineries are running a pilot program, ageing wine in cement instead of oak to get rid of the flavor. Interesting intersection of ideas.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just got jars for the 1st grow I did but never got it dry enough before I sealed them so the stuff in the brown bags was better..

Went to using some clear containers like this. I would fill 6 from a 1200W grow with 6 ounce of tops in each & then have a bag of surplus whisp & popcorn. I prefer smoking the Popcorn just under the main tops that have the lighter green colour.. I pick boxes of that for myself..

picture.php

You need the Humidor hygrometers to get it just right..

That is my daily smoke box there..

3 of those tubs fit in a Growtent box exactly. I would seal it up & stash half kilos...

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That box of weed there I may enter the IC cup with it's the best weed I've ever grown Period.

picture.php

The difference the blue light makes is unreal..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought a few boxes of the BioBizz premix's for a 27K grow..

I used all those white buckets with a clear lid to store the weed from the grow, good free bit of storage..

Miasa Mura

That box of weed there I may enter the IC cup with it's the best weed I've ever grown Period.

View Image

The difference the blue light makes is unreal..

Hey Mate Dave!

That’s interesting you mention preferring the lower branch flower with lighter green color. I’m curious about shade grow flowers.

I once saw someone do a test of light intensity around their outdoor plot with a clone of the same strain and the shade grown looked more like indoor and had a high CBDV content. Anecdotal, but that’s where all science starts :)

I just read a study out of Canada that talked about increasing yield with light intensity.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3310456

I really love the way cannabis grown under a 600 watt light looks. Just enough light to get a good yield but the flavors and characteristics of the strain seem more pronounced and unique.

Best of luck with your entry to the competition!

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like it all but I have that box by the side of my bed, the 1st thing I do is smell it when I regain consciousness, while laying in bed the stench wafts up from the floor. I open it check the humidity & temps see if I have enough to last to the next chop date take out a nice fat nugget & skin up even if I had fallen asleep with a full joint & crushed it. I will roll up & smoke it pure before I even have a hot chocholate..

I like it all but prefer the taste of the greener bits, those that are more yellow have less flavour IMO.. I prefer the popcorn that connects to the main spear.. Density doest bother me I can use the larf & get high :)

After smoking one of these boxes I will get another out & it will take a day before the tub smokes as well as the previous one after coming out a year or 2 being sealed it will be the same as the previous box

Miasa Mura

So after reading this article about local Pinot Noir producers aging in concrete, I see a real potential for industrial application of concrete curing containers.
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/9377771-181/the-future-of-pinot-noir

I’ve found a few containers that I can purchase; porcelain, white oak, bamboo and stainless steel. The Manzanita, Redwood and Madrone will have to be made in the summer to prep for the harvest.

My girlfriend had a great idea of using porcelain like a tea pot and let it accumulate flavors from the flowers.

Really excited to try out these cure containers and doing a comparison.:tree:

lizzy3

Hey Mate Dave!

For long term storage, cost efficiencies, maintenance, the food grade plastic buckets are great. I would recommend them to anyone is running a farm where selling ganja is the business.

I’m really looking at the smallest and most nuisanced quality brought about by the change in vessel. Just read yesterday that some big time wineries are running a pilot program, ageing wine in cement instead of oak to get rid of the flavor. Interesting intersection of ideas.

not so much of a new idea.
different mediums have been used to change flavor of wine n spirits for a long time.

with the concrete eggs you get a much sort of clearer fruity wine.

i have palyed with various things with weed.
have been interested in wine n cigars for many years applied various aspects of all that to curing and storing.

cigar humidor is ok, if you use a big one and bins you dont pick up wood flavors. key is controling humidity and most cheap or desktop style humidors do not do that well. needs to be adjusted almost daily by the user.

have tried cobs, have tried modifying that to pressing and curing with spanish cedar from cigar boxes... this with some heat changes the flavor packed in vacum bags...

i always though wisky barrel curing could be interesting or wine barrel.

key is to control temp n humidity, if you have a lot there will be uneven spots so you need to mix/fluff.

i actually mix a little tobacco cut from my favorite cigars with my weed. can get some really nice parings depending on stain/brand. i only smoke can solo after it has cured for a while. there is a point were the tobacco actually hurts flavor/burn. i started mixing tobacco to get proper burning. which i learned about from cigar smoking.

i smoke a lot. lol
i cant deal with bad flavor/bad burning uneven smoke.