What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's that nft bag on a roll?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I stumbled upon an article, then lost it. I'm hoping someone can guide me back..

A new growing method is catching on, that's a bit like rolling out an nft system. There is a top layer, we could look upon as the root zone. Below which a layer perforated at a microscopic level. Below which another, that's the bottom of your system. Water flows through the bottom layer (which likely had a spreader mat) but the plant can only get so much through the perforated membrane. Dependent on the dampness differential across it. So the root zone layer has a pretty stable moisture content.

I think they use it in Japan, where the land can't be used. But it's very economical with water usage, and suitable anywhere really. I reckon they were just rolling it out at the rate they planted, and chopped the plants off at the finished end and sent them to market still growing.

I wanted to give it a closer look, but lost the tab.

Is any of this sounding familiar?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That's the one! :) Thank you.

Quote:
the plants on top have to work hard to absorb water and nutrients. The stress causes them to develop higher levels of sugars, amino acids and phytochemicals. In much the same way that growing wine grapes in poor soil produces concentrated fruit.

Quote:
In Japan, the products are mainly sold at high-end department stores, but film-farmed tomatoes have also started showing up on menus at restaurants such as Tokyo’s Celeb de Tomato

An article:
https://www.scmp.com/magazines/styl...oil-new-japanese-tech-makes-growing-fruit-and

This Polymer Film Farming looks interesting. A facility such as the one in the emirates is unlikely to pick up many pathogens. Even if they do get in the fertigation water, they still don't get taken to the plants. Working in the desert lowers the chance of a diseased tree outside spreading problems. And 90% less water, and 80% less feed is really something.

Nappies.. That is where we find handy samples. But the film shouldn't be hard to source by now. Imagine.. all them nft tables of the 90s coming back out again. Greenhouses that just need a concrete floor and drainage channels. No pots, no substrate, just something a bit like spreader mat.