What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Meanwell AB Drivers

TWalker

So Meanwell makes A, B and AB. A has internal manual potentiometer, whereas B model has external wires for dimming.

I am looking at an AB but finding no answers as to whether it has both functions independently or can these work together?

In other words if I use the A trimpot function to adjust voltage or current and then use dimming function potentiometer based on those settings or am I limited just dimming using B potentiometer dimming knob?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Its the newest type, has constant current and constant voltage features.

From meanwell site:

AB Type models are differentiated by their designs to equipped with a waterproof and dustproof level of IP65/IP67, and 3 in 1 dimming function (0~10Vdc /1~10Vdc, 10V PWM signal and resistance).AB type models are highly flexible. The output current and voltage range can be adjusted through the built-in potentiometer, which enable users to flexibly tailor the setting based on the requirements of the LED luminaires. Moreover, adjusting dimming through external signal with 3 in 1 dimming function is also another advantage for application.

The upgraded AB type models will be provided with MEAN WELL’s standard service of order, stock and delivery time, which means the procedure of modified products and the minimum order quantity will no longer be needed. However, comparing to the original Blank type, A type, and B type models, the price of AB type models will be slightly increased.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Are they trying to say the high level is set on the unit, and external influences can dim down from this high level. Such that an installation can have individual luminaries tweaked internally to balance the light spread throughout the installation. And we give the user a common dimming control that won't effect this balance.

In other terms, if a 50w light blew, we could stick in a 100w if that was to hand, and trim it internally to 50w. So the master dimmer could only operate it between zero and fifty.

TWalker

Its the newest type, has constant current and constant voltage features.

From meanwell site:

.... Moreover, adjusting dimming through external signal with 3 in 1 dimming function is also another advantage for application.....

I actually read that the other night before I posted my question. I may be dense but I still don't get it. Does one use them independently (like only A or only B) or do they work together?

Either way I like the idea.

Thanks

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
f-e you should be able to use a 100w driver dimmed down to 50w if the output voltages are the same. As far as I can tell AB type drivers have the built in potentiometer that the A types have with limited 50% to 100% power dimming and the option of wiring in a different dimmer for more precise dimming from 0% to 100% like the B type also.