What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So...what's up today?

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
PM me. Give me five minutes and I will tell you straight on what you can/can't do. I wasn't kidding in who I said I was. Now I just fish and grow pot.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Snow here. I hope I don't have to break out the snow blower....I always have a heck of a time getting the damn thing to start the first time every year. Usually I fire it up on a warm day and have it ready for the first snow rodeo. Apparently not this year. Coming down hard.

The cold is getting harder and harder to get used to. I spend more time sitting by the fire that years past and it isn't even really cold yet. I have a cabin in the mountains and need to get up there and make sure everything is ok....the thought of that makes me shiver....

Have some work to do in the grow this morning....another cup and off to the salt mine....

St. Phatty

I started taking the wire mesh tops off the lettuce enclosures.

Which means the rodents and the chickens can now have their way with the crop.

So I started running the sprinklers to make a bigger Oasis Effect.

Since we haven't had any significant rains yet, it's still dry as hell for the wild animals.

I'm at the Southwest corner of a 10x10 mile patch of wild forest. And I have a creek, which went dry this summer.

So the wild animals' only source of water is all the people dwellings along the creek.

I have a neighbor that gets upset when the infant mortality for the quail etc. approaches 100%. He's convinced its my cats, even though they've been kept inside the last 6 weeks.

When there's no water, the animals get fvcking desperate. A baby quail is like a drink of water.

If I was a small animal I'd hide out waiting for the mountain lion to eat something, then run out to eat the scraps when the coast looks clear. Or I would just hang out near a human dwelling, avoid the cat, and enjoy all the spilled water & food scraps.

I visited a neighbor who raises pigs, mostly free range. I was completely surprised, the pigs don't require a lot of feed. They eat about the same things chickens eat. He has 13 pigs and only 2 acres.

If I was more ambitious I would set up a herd of pigs and free range them on the bottom 10 acres of my 15 acres.

But then I would be stuck defending them in the summer against the mountain lions. Would have to get a Maremma dog or 2.

I read about the fire in Redding this summer. One of the background stories was, 150 pound mountain lion vs. 150 pound German Shepherd. Mountain lion won, and ate the German Shepherd.

St. Phatty

Snow + RTD = fml is what's up today.

You mean, RTD Denver ?

(one of the Denver mass transit systems.)

FML - what does that stand for ? I'm familiar with the "Fvck my Life" interpretation but, Snow & Denver ? well, it is a little early for snow.

I remember living in Denver, being able to ice skate on the streets sometimes. Also, that it was sunny and warmer in January sometimes.

I remember the Celebrity Sports Center, with the big swimming pool full of kids and kids' urine, and the slot car racing.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Evening all. Spent the day inside. Finally quit snowing about the same time my hopes of a Bronco victory went south.

I flushed my two Lemon Betty's they are 10 days out. I usually run my Golden Pineapple 70 days but the trich's look ripe and she is wilting and looking tired. Will flush her tomorrow....good thing to I have the ladies in waiting screaming to get into flower.

Phatty, sounds like you live in a beautiful and secluded place. Sorry about the drought.....mother nature has a way of catching up. Oh, then there is the global warming thing....

It has ruined the fishing at my cabin. Water temps get to warm in the river and the trout population has all but vanished. No bugs to feed on and trout can't take 70f temps in late summer.

DVBoy. Sorry about your transportation woes. I have ridden the light rail downtown a couple of times but the last time I was on a bus was a school bus.

Miner you are right we need every drop we can get. Supposed to be a good snow producing winter in the Rockies....I hope so.

Gonna go and watch some KC/NE game....I hear the fans cheering

You mean, RTD Denver ?

(one of the Denver mass transit systems.)

FML - what does that stand for ? I'm familiar with the "Fvck my Life" interpretation but, Snow & Denver ? well, it is a little early for snow.

I remember living in Denver, being able to ice skate on the streets sometimes. Also, that it was sunny and warmer in January sometimes.

I remember the Celebrity Sports Center, with the big swimming pool full of kids and kids' urine, and the slot car racing.
Started yesterday when an 80 degree afternoon turned into freezing rain which quickly became snow, in the words of Drew Carrie, where the fvck is all this global warming I keep hearing about?

RTD Denver is awful, if it's not a train it's consistently late, or blowing through stops 10 minutes early without so much as a pause for those nearby who are walking towards the bus stop. The light rail is ok, but the routes that pass through downtown have consistent problems and cause a big traffic hassle, which mass transportation is supposedly intended to relieve.

St. Phatty

I finally managed to get all my birds roosting high off the ground.

7 feet or more. Actually they did all the work.

So now most of them are in a pine tree that's about 25 feet tall. And it's great that they're mostly safe.

Except that the rains are coming.

I don't want to give up on their new tree home. I finally realized I have a 20 foot long piece of re-bar. Also I can bolt 1x4's together to make something about 22 feet long.

I'm hoping to somehow get a 10x10 piece of 6 mil film over the top of the pine tree so the birds can be dry.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Windy as hell here, probably going to start trimming today. It's no fun trying to do much outside in 25 mph wind...

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Morning all. 13f at sunrise....whoa....didn't seem that long ago I was bitchen about the heat. Gonna warm up to the mid 40's later. If the sun stays out that will feel nice from where we are at now.

Running up to my cabin this week. Just had two cords of firewood delivered so that will need stacking. Lot colder up there. Place is in a small town with the Colorado river running right behind. High mountain meadow at 8,000 ft....beautiful in the summer but just the opposite in the winter.

picture.php

This is what it looks like now....

St. Phatty

WOW ! That looks nice and humid.

The sun came over the ridge at exactly 10 AM today.

Looked it up, angle of the sun in the sky is 25 degrees.

The situation for me is, in a month, the sun reaches 25 degrees at 10:30 AM.

Fortunately, it's the WARMEST 38 degrees I've ever felt. Usually our temps are hotter (in the summer) and colder (in the winter) than the location where they take the weather measurements.

Anyway, got to 'raise the roof' on the lettuce plants' metal mesh homes, for those planted at house level (where the chickens roam the most). The chickens have already picked through everything AROUND the lettuce, just because they like the moisture.

I let the plants up the hill go "topless" yesterday. They are entering a 3rd phase of growth, where they go from 5 inches to 12 inches.

I put sprinklers out and make a big wet circle so the moisture starved animals have something other than lettuce to provide them with water.

I fear the deer. They could wipe out the exposed plants in one night. So today I am scrambling to make as many "higher top" mesh enclosures as possible.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Evening gang.....spent the evening with my daughter and wife taking delivery of my daughters new car. Bought it on saturday but went again tonight to make sure the dealership didn't slip in some unexpected charges. Everything went well but took forever. Not like McDonald's.

Time to get my head bad.....

@ Phatty....Denver and surrounding is high desert. Humitity hovers ar below 30%. I Have 2 humidifiers running in the grow most all the time.....we do have our humid moments in the spring but mostly fighting for humidity here. Good luck with the birds my friend.

Where you at Zoomer...is that Pikes Peak....which would put you close to Parker...?

Easter, hope the wind settled down....thanks for chiming in....