What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VIPARSPECTRA or MarsHydro

thejact55

So I've been browsing LED lights to replace my HPS for the summer indoors. I have my eye on the Mars 2 900, or the vipar 900. They seem to be the equivalent. Mars says their 900 is similar to around a 450 watt hps, vipar says theirs can replace a 1000 watt hps, and is 20 bucks less...

Realistically, the vipar 900 is not going to be as strong as a 1000 watt, correct?

Any clarification is appreciated.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
I have a:
Mars II 1.200 LED - it takes 460W, and a
ViparSpectra V600 - it takes 260 W.

Not as much heat as from my old HPS 400W and 250W.

P :smoke:

thejact55

I ended up saying fuck it, and bought the viparspectra 900 watt, and another 3x3 tent for it to light up. guess ill find some room for this somewhere. I really know nothing about LED's, so my deciding factors were a 1 year warranty on mars, versus a 3 yr for vipar. Also I think it is around 4 lbs lighter, and 20 bucks cheaper. Cant wait to see if this helps a lot in the summer, when my HPS can really run. Would love to be making seeds year round.

I have another unrelated question Paddi. Under my name, where it says "member", I see yours says "ganja grower", other peoples say random stuff. how do I change that? Am I able to? I cannot seem to find how in the account page. thx

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I ended up saying fuck it, and bought the viparspectra 900 watt. I really know nothing about LED's, so my deciding factors were a 1 year warranty on mars, versus a 3 yr for vipar.

I just bought '3' 300w vipar's for that exact reason... 3years vs 1... to me its a no-brainer , ofcourse provided they are around in 3 years...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I have another unrelated question Paddi. Under my name, where it says "member", I see yours says "ganja grower", other peoples say random stuff. how do I change that? Am I able to? I cannot seem to find how in the account page. thx

Go- My IC>Your Profile>Edit Your Details>Custom User Title>Type in what you want.>Save

ChronicBill

Also curious as to how people are liking there viparspectra lights. They've been around for a bit and still have really solid reviews on Amazon. I just wish there was more grows documented with them. I'm thinking about 8 vipar 450's in a 4x8 tent

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I got '3' 300watters in a 4'x3' 1/2'' tent..they have been up for a shade less then 3weeks.. everything seems to be growing ok... at this early stage its a bit hard to judge, but if I had to compare it to a 600w hid, I say the hid wins in a landslide... not seeing the explosive growth that I see with hid's but again its early... for sure with these led's I don't have to worry about heat... the jury is still out...

djbooyah13

Im rocking a Mars 1200 II with a Mars 300 I, in a 4x4 grow, I can say i fully regret not going HPS or CMH, veg growth was slow as a fuckin snail, and you really have to have the temps are nice and low so you can bring the led down to about 12- 18 inches away from the tops, it also makes a fair amount of heat for being an LED but nothing close to what a HPS or CMH would, by all means i was not as impressed as i thaught i would be and i feel like i wasted money, i tried to return the 300 but customer service was like sorry we have manufacturing issues and we cant take it back but we would be happy to give u another one for 20% off, very negative experience, check my post to see how small my plants are, i was running an OG batch with a 2 month veg and my plants are barley 2ft tall they are just super super bushy, kinda like super mini bonzai trees, i just finished flowering last week, although i will say in flower these lights really did well as i was able to bring the temps down to 55 with both buttons clicked without tm problems. Energy was a huge factor too i saved way more on energy than i thaught i would, Also it was my first grow so take ALL my info with that in mind. P.s if u buy the 1200, blasting the plants with full spectrum right away is a big oops use the veg button only . Till they are in flower.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i am almost 1 month into veg ... I have '5' plants in a 4ft x 3 1/2' tent with '3' vipar 300watters- in order to control the height, I have the plants (3gall buckets) on their side which I rotate every 2 days, so the plants are bushy .. at some point I will have to put the buckets upright, and I have serious doubts that these lights will have any penetration to the lower buds.. the pluses are that there is no heat... the neg is I think I will have to supplement the led's with more light... we will prob use a 4ft 8 bulb fluor.... and that will make the temp's shoot up...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
has anyone done a full grow with these lites??? or is someone in the flowering stage?
I'm 5weeks into veg, slowly turning the timer down by 30 mins every few days for the last 2 weeks... I'm now at 14hrs of lite, 10 of darkness... growing from seed, so not sure if its a boy or a girl... still a bit concerned about the penetration when flowering with 3x300w vipar's....

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I'm running a Mars 1600 in my flower room that I was given to try out. So far so good. Lighting is very intense and the plants are doing just fine. Vigorous growth with great bud development.
I also have a Mars Hydro Reflector 144 in a 4 x 2 tent for veg. and clones. Plants are happy enough but at this point are shorter than usual and very bushy. Growth seems a bit slow but the plants are in the tent on a basement floor which is a bit cooler than what the plants would prefer.

angelgoob

I got '3' 300watters in a 4'x3' 1/2'' tent..they have been up for a shade less then 3weeks.. everything seems to be growing ok... at this early stage its a bit hard to judge, but if I had to compare it to a 600w hid, I say the hid wins in a landslide... not seeing the explosive growth that I see with hid's but again its early... for sure with these led's I don't have to worry about heat... the jury is still out...

at 137 watts each, and 411 watts total of course the 600 wins. looo

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
as it turns out , 3 of the 5plants in my 4x3.5' tent turned out tobe males ($hit), so left with '2' females- about 3weeks into 12/12... will turn on the 4ft x8lamp fluor tomm for about 6hrs per day... the fluor's put out quite a bit of heat, and only have one small fan exhausting the air... I'd like to go with the '3' led's only, but not sure if it will be enough light

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
For this run, I got a Viparspectra 450 used on ebay for like $85 plus shipping. Two weeks in, I can already see a lot more growth and vigor than with the CFL set-up I had. My girls are taking off like, well, weeds! It's the perfect size for my six plant setup. Love it.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
jelly- how big is your tent?? one 450?? and 6plants? ... making me think that '3' 300watters may be enough... I do have a bunch of home depot cree 100watt 2700color led's ... it says uses 18watts... and I have a few nice directional fixtures for the cree's... not sure how much add lite they will throw, but they put out very little heat... I know the 8bulb 4ft fluor as side lighting would be a help, but the extra heat mite make the tent too hot...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
My footprint is about 2 feet by 3 feet. Six one gallon hempy buckets, sitting in a 2X3 plastic tray.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
jelly- how big is your tent?? one 450?? and 6plants? ... making me think that '3' 300watters may be enough... I do have a bunch of home depot cree 100watt 2700color led's ... it says uses 18watts... and I have a few nice directional fixtures for the cree's... not sure how much add lite they will throw, but they put out very little heat... I know the 8bulb 4ft fluor as side lighting would be a help, but the extra heat mite make the tent too hot...

I betcha put two of those 300's in your room, you will see, it's more than enough.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
For this run, I got a Viparspectra 450 used on ebay for like $85 plus shipping. Two weeks in, I can already see a lot more growth and vigor than with the CFL set-up I had. My girls are taking off like, well, weeds! It's the perfect size for my six plant setup. Love it.

Couldnt agree more, sorry no pics on computer. iI have the 450w as well, I love it. $140 on amazon and they have some good graphs and info on there too. 2'x2.5' closet with 4 plants right now in veg. Soon to be 5 plants.

Not sure how other people are running it but... I'm running it in veg but with both switches on (veg/bloom). Anyone run it only on veg? Probably only would for small seedlings I think. Manual says 36" for seedlings, 24 or so for veg, a little closer for flower. I have mine at about 20-18" now and they love the light. A ton of growth, way better than a bunch of CFLs...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I disconnected one of the vipar's 300w (2 left) in my 4x3.5' tent, and connected a 8bulb 4ft fluor... seems to be brighter to my eyes... tho guess that doesn't mean anything to the plants... I mite run an add line to keep the 3rd led shining... I'm about 4 weeks into 12/12 n the buds don't seem to be growing as fast as they do under hid lighting... and while its early see no evidence of sugar on the buds...zero sugar so far...