What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shaggy's Guide to Hormones used in Cannabis

shaggyballs

Veteran
How to use hormones.
Let me start by saying:
This is all contingent on the strains particular genetics limits.
You can turn a fluffy strain into a dense strain!
It is best to start with your preferred genetic traits and maximize its potential with environment and other factors that we have available to us.

Stages:

Clone,teen,veg,pre-flower,flower initiation,bud set,bulk up ect.
For example
A super stretchy strain would get less auxin
A overly compact strain could get some Auxin and Brass. but less BAP per say.

mrrangz

How to use hormones.

You just can't turn a fluffy strain into a dense strain!

i disagree with this statement, growth retardants, bap, auxin single or applied in combination will give desired effects.

i wish there was a one mix fits all, but the reality is no. each plant has its sweet spot.

How to use hormones.

i disagree with this statement, growth retardants, bap, auxin single or applied in combination will give desired effects.

i wish there was a one mix fits all, but the reality is no. each plant has its sweet spot.

Hey mrrangz

Id'e have to agree with this statement, plant hormones can only go so far, not to say they cant do amazing things, just that the genetics is playing a massive role in the way the bud forms to begin with, all though you could turn a indica dense bud into a fox tailing freak with some (GA3).
(But I haven't seen a sativa dominant strain turn into a rock solid indica bud, I don't think hormones could do that) :tiphat:

Hey Shaggy

Where is the information on Jasmonates?, there the most interesting compounds to me at the moment just because of how they influence the terpene profile in such different ways depending on what strain it is!, you could potentially make a tailor made/bespoke high, down to how it makes you feel how it tastes & how it smells, all with the help of terpene influencing compounds. :dance013:

Man thanks once again for condensing all this info into one thread!, I hope it takes off & receives many views, I want people to advance beyond what they thought possible with cannabis cultivation :biggrin:

How to use hormones.
Let me start by saying:
This is all contingent on the strains particular genetics limits.
One must start with your preferred genetic traits and maximize its potential with environment and other factors that we have available to us.

Yeah I had that in mind Shaggy :biggrin:

Maximizing a plants genetic traits through the use of hormones, in turn potentiating what the genetics dictate. Ie, you'll turn an indica dominant strain in to a more pronounced indica or you'll turn a sativa dominant strain into a more pronounced sativa.
& by pronounced I mean showing more of it's inherent genetics.

Peace. :tiphat:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
awesome fascinating info. admittedly its a little over my head and i dont even know where to begin on utilizing this info. are these plant chemical safe to handle and use in experimental doses on consumable plants and if so where do you find it. are there people doing these experiments on cannabis and are they journaling the findings? im most interested in rooting and crystal formation. i use in fresh cuts to stimulate rooting like a lot of people but have always wondered if i could fine tune the concentration level to optimize the results. i use dip n grow for this but it has different concentration recomendations. ive always wondered which ratio i should use and if i should be reapplying during tthe the following days to gain efficiency. could it be found in a cheaper bulk raw form to add to res tanks of aero cloners or to add to water when rehydrating cloning medium. thanks for the great htread!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Maximizing a plants genetic traits through the use of hormones, in turn potentiating what the genetics dictate. Ie, you'll turn an indica dominant strain in to a more pronounced indica or you'll turn a sativa dominant strain into a more pronounced sativa.
& by pronounced I mean showing more of it's inherent genetics.
Can't agree with that... It's more like turning this
familymatters-3.jpg

into that
arnold-schwarzenegger-shared-picture-1104259850.jpg

LMAO! ok I see your point my statement may have been a bit loaded.
Exogenous plant hormones do have there place though, and they do work, iv'e noticed watching my plants over the last couple of months, there some great compounds out there.

Peace.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
are these plant chemical safe to handle
Most are at a given concentration and a given time point prior to harvest. Unfortunately, agrochemicals aren't meant to be smoked and hence could pose a problem.
and use in experimental doses
Experimental concentrations don't need to be safe, that's why they are called experimental; people do funny experiments with it ;) .
on consumable plants
Fortunately, hormones are usually used at very low concentrations. You should check the guidelines; Noteworthy, approval depends on the country and the use of many agrochemicals is only approved for registered farmers.
and if so where do you find it.
Depends on where you are and what you search.
are there people doing these experiments on cannabis and are they journaling the findings?
Most of these phytohormones aren't properly tested on cannabis. Folks using in on their weed usually have not much to do with toxicology or agriculture labs. Also, they don't publish in journals but on IC Mag. If you trust them and how far is up to you.
im most interested in rooting
Rooting hormones, especially because used long before harvest and often natural or biosimilar, are regarded as safe. I would never use the naphthyl acetic acid because of its pure synthetic nature, lipophily, low biodegradability and metabolism and hence potential accumulation.
and crystal formation.
Crystal? Are you a meth dealer or a gemologist?
i use in fresh cuts to stimulate rooting like a lot of people but have always wondered if i could fine tune the concentration level to optimize the results.
Yes, you could. The effect is highly concentration dependent but only linear at lower concentrations. Higher cause a plateau at best or even stop growth. More is never better with hormones! Your gal wouldn't be better off by taking the pill blister wise, would she?
i use dip n grow for this but it has different concentration recomendations.
Sure it does. Depends also on which one you use; which species you have, what technique and so on...
ive always wondered which ratio i should use and if i should be reapplying during tthe the following days to gain efficiency.
Some plants need a second or third application, for others it's too much. Also depends on the product; like IAA degrading much faster than NAA.
could it be found in a cheaper bulk raw form to add to res tanks of aero cloners or to add to water when rehydrating cloning medium.
Yes, it could. Although, it's easier in already diluted form so that you don't overdose. Also, application of pure stuff may be tricky due to its usually poor solubility in water. But I think some people really use it pure.
See comments in red :D

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Exogenous plant hormones do have there place though, and they do work, iv'e noticed watching my plants over the last couple of months, there some great compounds out there.
Sure they work; Arnie is in complete agreement with you! If they didn't, why would so many use them?
It's a question of ethics and for me, synthetic stuff is a no-go.
I use IAA (synthesised but occurring naturally), bees wax (source for triacontanol), coco milk, germ sprout tee, willow extract, kelp etc. but nothing which unnaturally boosts up my garden plants. Also, just like I don't do doping, anabolic steroids, and so on; why would I do that to my plants?

I respect you non use of synthetics Only Ornamental.
& I myself like the thought of using no synthetics, Natural is best in my mind, i'm with you on that for sure, but you only live once & I want to see for myself & I guess I'm willing to bend my ethics this once. I'm in an experimental mood this grow. I hope in this case curiosity does not kill the cat. Ie, cat = me/guinea pig.

The only synthetics iv,e used on my plants are,

(Synthetic Cytokinin) 6-Benzylaminopurine (6-BAP)
& a substance called Sodium Nitrophenolate (Atonik) im not sure if is a naturally derived compound or a synthetic? any one have any input on Atonik?

Here is a link to what I use:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6234257&postcount=76

The substances in the list that I haven't used yet are:
(Semi-Synthetic Cytokinin) Kinetin (6-Furfurylaminopurine)
Chitosan Oligosaccharide (Poly-(D)glucosamine)
Methyl Jasmonate (MeJa)
Gibberellin (GA-3)

Yeah i'm not a fan of anabolic steroids.

P.S. I love fulvic acid and potassium silicate.
:tiphat:

Last edited:
AND KELP i cant say enough about how good different species are for different applications to cannabis! fascinating stuff.

I like your sense of humor to!

Peace.

GSPfan

Veteran
Sure they work; Arnie is in complete agreement with you! If they didn't, why would so many use them?
It's a question of ethics and for me, synthetic stuff is a no-go.
I use IAA (synthesised but occurring naturally), bees wax (source for triacontanol), coco milk, germ sprout tee, willow extract, kelp etc. but nothing which unnaturally boosts up my garden plants. Also, just like I don't do doping, anabolic steroids, and so on; why would I do that to my plants?

Anabolic steroids were made illegal by politicians because Ben Johnston beat Carl Lewis in the 100m dash. The politicians made them illegal regardless of every government health and food organization opposing steroids being illegal. Thinking steroids are all bad is similar to believing the movie reefer madness. Steroids can be taken with zero side effects and all gain. But that doesn't mean that they are all good. It just means that we need to be educated on the subject. Everything when not used reponsibly can hurt you. I think the same could be applied to hormones in plants. But, like humans, I think the hormones would be best used for repairing and helping weak plants instead of making a plant resemble Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Only Ornamental is the man!!!....Listen carefully.(nice facelift OO)
I thought he was a tough guy at first.:blackeye:
I was wrong and as it turns out we became good friends!!:huggg:
He is a straight shooter and I have learned a lot from him!!!!
He also persuaded me to come out of my shell and stop worrying about angering others here...and looking stupid which was inevitable!!!:biggrin:
Most of all to have fun here!!!:party:
Shag
:greenstars: