What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My little Urbstead (urban homestead)

captain planet

Veteran
My motto, look good and taste good too :)
picture.php

captain planet

Veteran
Great fathers day so far! I have a small chicken coop on the way!!!!!!! Let's see how long it takes for any of the neigbors to rat me out.... Fuckem this is my year to go for it!!!!! :)

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Cool cap. how many chickens do you plan on? The local law here is just no roosters in town. Apparently they go further in your town and are banned. The hens rarely make any noise. Sometimes they cluck when laying a large egg or when disturbed. Hope nobody gives you grief for it. Perhaps it will be contagious as it has been in my neighborhood. New gardens and chickens showing up in my neighborhood. Neighbors were buying my eggs but have since hatched out eggs they acquired from me.

Also set up my composter. Metal trashcan with the bottom rotted out. Is this okay? So far I am impressed with the flies that hang out. Thanks for the great thread Cap. Am always in the background.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,i was planning on buttering up the neighbors with produce this summer and warming them up to the idea first,they have barking dogs so its even up in my book...

captain planet

Veteran
Hehe yea ive done lots of buttering up but there is this one crotchety old hag that calls the municipality if u put ur trash out an hour to early, I think they will be outa sight just enough and she's just far enough that she shouldn't hear any cackle when one pops out an extra Large egg... We shall find out

Biosynthesis

Veteran
lol,i was planning on buttering up the neighbors with produce this summer and warming them up to the idea first,they have barking dogs so its even up in my book...

They may bark at first but they will get used to it. Neighbors arent far off here either. They dont bark when they make noise.

captain planet

Veteran
Coop should be here Monday chicks Thursday ( staying inside till feathered) changed up the order to what was available, 1 rhode island red, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 Easter egger :)

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Would like to share something that makes raising chicks in the house a breeze. I take a box, cut the top off and spread several inches of chick starter in the bottom plus the water bowl and chicks. I cut a piece of wire to fit the top and put a light on top for warmth. This setup or any similar variation you only have to change the box by dumping it in the compost pile and refilling ONCE A WEEK. No horrible smell as the feed is absorbent like cat litter. In a case with a low numbers of chicks, even longer. Just a habit I picked up from a local after changing chick boxes 1-2 times a day forever.

captain planet

Veteran
Who's excited ? The captain is! Had a little family solstice party yesterday and put together my little 2 brood house coop, even tho it won't be used for a cpl weeks. It looks nice if ya ask me! Also drum roll please, I have a 48 inch 30 bar top bar beehive on the way :woohoo:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
No tomatoes here. cloudy and rainy weather lately here. Just squash, baby potatoes, lettuce, broccoli. A row of corn is beginning to tassel as well.

captain planet

Veteran
Getting tomatoes all over but no color yet except some yellowing leaves :( Mee thinks all the rain we've been getting is starting to take it's toll

ronbo51

Veteran
My heirlooms are a month behind last year. Not much heat, many cloudy days and too many cool nights. I think its just going to be a wet cloudy summer on the east coast. I have been eating Glacier tomatoes for a month though. Canadian bred for short miserable summers Glacier will set golf ball size clusters under even the most inhospitable conditions. Fedco Seeds from Maine carries Glacier, the most reliable and earliest mater anywhere.

captain planet

Veteran
Thanks for the info ronbo!!! I dream of living in Maine and doing it big like aeroguerilla!
Anyone know of any places still selling package bees or nucs..... I know it's super late :(

captain planet

Veteran
Got hive, got bees,.......... Got small hive beetle larvae handing me my ass. I didn't setout to be battling. A beetle this summer, but ididnt start this fight but I will finish it!:dueling:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Love whats going on at your place, cap. Do not know of anyplace to get bees. Know nothing to very little about bees, wish I could help. I have heard of these top bar beehives. A neighbor humanitarian was making them and donating them to folks that were interested in helping bees out. As you know the bees are having a bad time and populations are down, or were a few years ago. This is something that grabs my interest. Perhaps next weekend you can post some picks of the hive and chicks? Ive got a bat box the fish and game gave me. Nailed it to the tree 3 years ago and still no bats. Where can I buy bats online?:biggrin: