What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Retailers...

LeeROI

I didn't take the pp site very seriously after I saw the statement EVERYBODY else is overstating the wattage of their lights.

LeeROI

Mostly, yes. Big difference between all and most.

PS: I like what the guy is doing; people hurt their credibility with hyperbole. Either that or he is unaware of his competition.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I have to suggest you looking into what this Guy is doin:
plant photonic. He makes lights himself and there is plenty of info on the website. He seems to be using the best of all worlds, diodes from cree, osram, bridgelux etc; he claims he uses the best for all the different colors. The diodes are also spaced out evenly, not as most of the manufactures. There is also a guy who has pulled 13oz from one of his 280w panel, mind he had issues with rot and hermies! Check it out here: http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/390631-stealth-cabinets-106.html
It all seems legit, I thought I'd share this and maybe you could look into adding that to your list (the one with results and/or the one with manufacturers)

Here is his site, I think: http://plantphotonics.com/

Meh, he still thinks Cree makes 3W LEDs, not a turn on.

Doesn't look like the heat sinks have fins for added surface area. Fans look like they use some decent power.

He bragged about using the BEST LEDs per color, then state on his site that he uses Cree XRE white, LMAO. Cree XRE whites are not as good as XPG or XML. Don't know what the 660nm bin is either. Sure, he advertizes actual wattage, but I see lots of contradictions and skepticism.

At least its a little better than most cookie cutter UFO and rectangle lights that use that awful small form factor. I'm very critical of anything/anyone, and he didn't really back up what he said in that forum, but I'm sure the light is fine for growing. I'm still better off building my own at that price. $1200 for 280W is pricey. Almost $5 a watt.

i'll check those links out when time permits...

thanks

first off i have only included what seem to be the most popular models. if anyone has others and have the following info, speak up...

none of these prices include shipping. if you are in north america, expect shipping to be triple or more on the models with a yellow background.

this chart in no way reflects what each individual light is capable of doing. i do have grow info on about 5 of them, but that is subjective to each grower. i may share more of that info later...

anyway, here are the costs of ADVERTISED WATTS vs. REAL WATTS

ADVERTISED:

picture.php

REAL:

picture.php

WARRANTY:
picture.php

kinda interesting...

just one way of looking at things however :wave:
You are missing black dog led's here. www.blackdogled.com

GP73LPC

Veteran
it's really useful what you do with your charts, thanks

thank you, but keep in mind this is just part of the story.

some of these lights are much better than others and you usually get what you pay for in life...

however, i do hope some people get use of these... :tiphat:

B

BlueJayWay

Great info, thank you so much! I have been wanting to try an LED grow and i may pick up the progrow 180 as supplemental light in a 10'X5' tent which currently runs 2X600hps, will throw two of the progrow 180's in there...unless someone objects and has a better light to go with ;)

I do love the lights in Master X's grow, the long skinny ones, but i don't believe he has divuldged where to obtain them??

GP73LPC

Veteran
Great info, thank you so much! I have been wanting to try an LED grow and i may pick up the progrow 180 as supplemental light in a 10'X5' tent which currently runs 2X600hps, will throw two of the progrow 180's in there...unless someone objects and has a better light to go with ;)

I do love the lights in Master X's grow, the long skinny ones, but i don't believe he has divuldged where to obtain them??

your welcome...

mr x. got his leds in spain gudomeledgrow . com

B

BlueJayWay

oops, yeah Mr X i meant ;) but his pictures and grows are masterful!

Thanks GP, awesome quick response!

Nader

Veteran
Has anyone heard any good or bad feedback about the iSunlight? It's apparently a full spectrum white led panel. They claim that it's awesome, obviously.. (The site is myindoorgarden.com)

GP73LPC

Veteran
Has anyone heard any good or bad feedback about the iSunlight? It's apparently a full spectrum white led panel. They claim that it's awesome, obviously.. (The site is myindoorgarden.com)

it doesn't appear to have any red spectrum in it... the blues come from the white.

it can probably grow okay, just not as efficiently as it could be with real full spectrum...

and at those prices you can do much better i think.

uptosumpn

Veteran
WOW, just read entire thread in 2hrs.....great great info here. And thanks for all the leg work GP73LPC!

I'm so ready to go LED when I put back up the big tent BUT i'm still torn between a couple of models....I asked this ques, in your 1lb harvest thread and I will ask it here as well, (since this thread is a lil' more active) I need a panel(s) with the best core penetration,(simular to a 1000hps) in a 4x4 space. So which of these 3 LED's would you guys recommend?? Lumiglow es330,<(will 2 of these be enough? dnt think so & they cost the most!) pro grow 400 (4 of them) or Penetrator (4 of them) remember i'm trying to have penetrating power of a 1000hps without the radiant heat or FLIR problems a 1000hps will create.....Hell, I may just upgrade my tent a get a 4x8 and double up!!!! ;)

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lumiglow es330,<(will 2 of these be enough? dnt think so & they cost the most!)

Two of the ES330's will easily do it, check out SOTF420's albums. He does supplement with a couple of low wattage T5's to round out the spectrum. I would be tempted to use four of the ES165's to get more even coverage. Same wattage total, and cheaper, but for whatever reason the warranty is shorter than the ES330. Check out the link to Greners.com.

http://www.greners.com/i/grow-lights/led-brand/lumigrow.html

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So are you saying 4 of the ES165's will be the same penetrating power as a 1000?

[and just for compairison sake, will the blackstar 500w or pro grow 400, 4ea wont??]

Decisions Decisions

I think that you are combining penetration and footprint, and they are entirely different characteristics. The power level and lensing of the LED's is what gives you the penetration, and the form factor (dimensions of the fixture) as well as the operating height above the plants gives you the footprint. I think that using (4) of the 165's gives you the flexibility to have good edge-to-edge lighting in a 4x4 tent, whereas (2) of the 330's limits your ability to evenly light the corners.

I haven't any experience with the other brands, but I know that Blackstar overstates the wattage of their units by about double. This lessens the credibility of any other claims that they make for me.

uptosumpn

Veteran
OK, gotcha ya, BUT you still didnt answer my ques.......

which and how many panels needed will be simular to a 1000hps in a 4x4 space....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, gotcha ya, BUT you still didnt answer my ques.......

which and how many panels needed will be simular to a 1000hps in a 4x4 space....

Well, I thought I did! In my first post, I said that either (2) of the ES330's or (4) the ES165's would pretty close to the equivalent. Most people think that the ES330 is roughly comparable to a 600 watt lamp, and either combination gives you 660 LED watts. The ES165's are basically an ES330 cut in half. As I said before, I have no experience with the other units, and can't speak to their abilities.

*edit* I should also mention that the Lumigrow units have potentiometers to vary the red/blue ratio. This gives you the ability to veg plants that are short and have very tight internodal spacing, and then crank up the red for flowering. Most other companies seem to sell different fixtures for vegging or flowering.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts