What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"VEGETABLE GARDENING" (for fun and nutrition)

G

Nothing beats being able to eat something picked at the peak of ripeness and not two weeks early so it can be shipped to a store. I never liked tomatoes until I had an organic tomato. Real flavor and meaty!

Intrinsic_

Pics of some of my peppers from last summer. Sorry no more pics but there were beans, cucs, sqaush and of coarse lots of toms.
Much the same this year :smile:

Ya know I always tell people if your growin pot grow some ornamentals or vegies. It improves your growing skill and explains the gardening paraphernalia lying around. A lot more confidant when walking into a garden center too.

I hear ya kmarpa, hard to go back to store toms after fresh ones from the garden.

Cherry peppers

Nardello Sweet Pepper

Jalapenos, turning red

G

Anyone have photos of a vegetable garden with cannabis planted within/alonside it? We're going to ratchet up the veggie garden a few notches this year and I'm hoping to hide 2-3 plants within.

.canine.

dan kay

This is just the kind of thread i've been looking for. I'm looking to do a small DIY outdoor hydro system. probably a waterfarm or 2. Probably going to do http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/aquafarm.asp for building the waterfarm. I have a few questions though.

That page talks about perlite or expanded clay for the medium. Is there a reason lava rock wouldn't work? I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

For power i'm planning on building a small solar battery system to power the air pump. It seems its going to cost a little any other ideas? I know batteries but don't want to have to worry about remembering to switch them out.

Is there a better system for a first time hydro user to go with outdoors? The one condition is there can't be standing water around unsealed.

G

lava rock works great in outdoor hydro. its just dirty so rinse it off really really well before using it.

deep water culture also works great outdoors. the pumps are in the garage and i just run airlines outside.

when people ask you (and they will) "what happens when it rains?" just tell them "then my plants get rainwater, too."

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
vegies

vegies

Babba and I have a pretty big back yard, so we have grown a vegie garden for years, long before we grew mj in our back yard....last year we had about 35 tomato plants, peppers, cucs, squash, garlic, onions, and some herbs.....we do a salsa garden mainly cuz we love to make our own....last year I started organic seeds from a company in oregon but I think this year Im just going to buy starters, we grow Early Girls, they have a great size and flavor of all the types of tomates we have grown over the years, might throw a roma or cherry in there but focus on the Early Girls. Tomato plants are nortorious for getting thrips so if they are near your mj plants make sure you take measures to keep them under control.
Here is a pic of some of last years tomatoes :D

dan kay

humulus: do you have to use stronger pumps with the lines traveling that distance? It'd be a lot easier to do it that way then build a small solar setup to power the pumps. I just don't want extension cords running around the yard as that doesn't seem very safe.

Spütnik

just go to your local homedepot or elsewhere and get some heavy duty extra thick insulated (and some of these come with builtin fuses) extension cordes, then just bury it from the outlet to the shed or wherever, so as not to clip it with the lawn mower or anything.

I

irie-i

bump.... got my pepper seeds started this week... kung pao, jalapeno, pepperoncini, fish pepper, and cayenne. broccoli seeds came up in a flat yesterday. also planted onions.

RuralRoute420

sweet

sweet

found another place here to kick up my feet and burn one.... i grew my first veggies last year, and am now hooked. it's just like bud, there's nothing like enjoying the fruits of one's labors.

this year we will be growing the following:

brandywine tomato
hard rock tomato
burpee's delicious tomato(personal fav)
sugar snack hybrid cherry tomato

fat n sassy sweet peppers
lilac sweet peppers
nothing hot this year, it just goes to waste anyways

onions
sugar star peas
incredible sweet corn (yellow)

most all of my seeds came from totally tomatos. i used peat pucks to start seeds in. all of my sweet pepper seeds:

these pepper seeds sprouted in 2 weeks @ less than 72' under 4' shoplite.
after trying the individual peat pucks, i found this tray at walmart that holds them (72pucks) and is only $6. works great.

i don't have a whole lot of yardspace to devote to a garden, so i like to pack them in there. i don't do the organic thing, but i don't knock it. i do have organic topsoil & peat though for it.

i remember reading somewhere about something called "grow an exta row" to eradicate wold hunger. if every gardner/farmer grew 1 extra row, we could eliminate world hunger. food for thought. peace. :joint:

Last edited:
I

irie-i

sure, grow a little for your local food bank or church type soup kitchen!

overgrow with food too! growing food and saving seeds = spending less, transporting less, and keeping control of your food supply

think "food sovreighnty"

I plan on having my first vegetable garden this year, with tomatoes, corn, squash, and possibly others. My backyard at my new house is small, but gets great light ;)

G

I.M. Boggled[url said:
http://www.seedfest.co.uk/[/url]

I ordered a 50-pack "grab bag" of seeds from these guys almost six weeks ago now, got e-mail confirmation and then never saw the package or got a response to my emails.

Excellent selection, but I'm pretty pissed about the lack of customer service.

Maybe my seeds were seized at the border. :chin: :)

I

irie-i

get used to it, and start savinng seeds. maybe ask governor MONSANTO where your seeds are!

RuralRoute420

almost time, got them outside a little early due to nice weather in makeshift greenhouse. as you can see the peppers like it but the maters got a little sunburnt, nothing i can do now, so i keep them out there anyways. got the peas and onions planted yesterday. waiting on the sweet corn, maters, and bell peppers.......may 1st.

G

.canine. said:
I ordered a 50-pack "grab bag" of seeds from these guys almost six weeks ago now, got e-mail confirmation and then never saw the package or got a response to my emails.

Excellent selection, but I'm pretty pissed about the lack of customer service.

Maybe my seeds were seized at the border. :chin: :)

Just for record, these bastards have gotten 3-4 emails from me about my not receiving my veggie seeds and I've never gotten a single response. I got an automated email like 2 months ago saying they had shipped. From Oregon to the Southwest. Two months. Bastards.