What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED-Hydro Veggie/Herb Garden

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
a little update...

the lettuce plant and harvest and after harvest from a couple weeks ago...

Dcam6584.jpg

Dcam6599.jpg

Dcam6601.jpg

the large pepper plant is flowering nicely and producing about 15-16 peppers on the plant at a time. the small pepper plants is also flowering and producing peppers, but only 2 or 3 at a time. the large plant looms over part of the smaller plant...

the lettuce is not growing like the lettuce i have outside. the outside lettuce grew up straight and produced short leafed lettuce for a while. now it is stretching and producing seeds i assume, i've never grown it before. this lettuce is not as fresh tasting as the indoor lettuce. my outdoor environment is cruel to plants this time of year anyway :cry:

Dcam6607.jpg

the lettuce indoors is stretchy and the leafs are elongated. these stems do not support too much weight before they fall down. some stems are now approaching about 5 to 6 feet in length. these hydro lettuce plants are producing nicely and are about to be harvested for the 3rd time. :good:

also, a friend gave me 6 new pepper plants that he got from a friend at work. don't know what they are, but the friend said they come back every year. they can be seen on the left.

Dcam6606.jpg

in the process of harvesting the lettuce, some of the younger more tender stems broke (real easy to do). so i just stuck the 3 of them in a cup of water. tada, roots.... i have extra lettuce plants now ;)

Dcam6605.jpg

LetsSeeYa

Looks great GP, im glad ya got that other light you. Im going to try tomato's soon. Have ya ever tried to grow them.

Keep er green

LSY

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks LSY, i have grown tomatoes outside both in the ground and in containers. and once for about a month in hydro in a cabinet (never got to flowering, cut the roots, replanted them outside containers and started using my cab for better things ;)

got a few pics upcoming...

GP73LPC

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

lettuce coming back after harvest, unknown pepper clones going well, basil too...

jalapenos doing great, about 12-15 peppers on the large plant...

cloned lettuce, not so much :cry:

picture.php

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
GP73 Hey man to bad your not in a position to grow some weed. I love the peppers, are they hot? I love peppers, but where I live they don't always do well out side.
What's the LED setup that you are using. that lettuce is nuts.

:smoweed:

GP73LPC

Veteran
yea, i agree on the weed. someday in the near future i will be able to once again...

anyway, the led is welthink wex-c150 full spectrum... just bought a second one ;)

EDIT: oh yea, the peppers. the small plants are just so-so, but the big plant has some nice HOT ones!!!

GP73LPC

Veteran
It looks like your outdoor lettuce bolted. How hot has it been outside?

miserable, 100+ for over 30 days...

i planted the lettuce before i knew much about it's requirements...

indoor lettuce is kicking ass ;)

GP73LPC

Veteran
update time...

jalapenos are still doing well, as is the basil...

lettuce has "bolted" as they say... i was just reading up on this. basically my lettuce got to the stage in life to flower so the leaf production has stopped and the remaining leaves are bitter.

i am gonna soon put something new in this DWC tub... maybe some Rosemary or Oregano. Anyone have suggestions?

anyway, here's a pic from a week ago.

picture.php

and from today...

picture.php

my experience (from my outdoor lettuce plants) and my reading have taught me these flowers only open for brief periods, 30 mins at a time. i have seen the outdoor flowers open in the early morning then close up again. eventually you get a dandelion looking top full of seeds attached to puffy head designed to float in the wind.

GP73LPC

Veteran
well apparently some spectrum is needed for lettuce to completely flower and produce seeds that my LED bar does not provide. Again here are my specs...

50% 660nm deep red
10% 630nm red
10% 600nm orange
10% 3500K warm white
20% 460nm blue

Does anyone have any idea what I might be missing for the lettuce.

trying to research it now... the flowers just will not develop any further than pictured above.

GP73LPC

Veteran
lol, it's branched out and is even more menacing looking now...

so i've been doing a little reading and really don't know why these will not fully develop in flowering.

weed and jalapeno's produce fruit under this particular light, so what makes lettuce different... :dunno:

GP73LPC

Veteran
i have buttloads of flowers on my lettuce. in fact, they even open. i caught one here, sorry for the bad pic.

i am still hoping they will produce seeds before i put something else in this tub...

picture.php

jalapeno's are still rocking as is the basil... :tiphat:

LetsSeeYa

Looks cool man, do you think it might need cooler temps that tells the plant to get with it and make seeds?

LSY

GP73LPC

Veteran
i don't think so, outside after they flowered the went into seed making in the heat !!!

could be lack of pollination. :dunno:

not gonna wait too much longer, before i clone a tomato plant and try one indoors :D

GP73LPC

Veteran
pepper plant 1 is now about 18 inches high and 18 inches in diameter. pepper plant 2 is going in another tub on into my new greenhouse (see link in my sig) because plant 1 has taken over and it's in the shadows...

plant 1 has been kicking ass producing peppers all summer. about 8 months old and still killing it. look at all the flowers !!! i'll have another couple dozen peppers in a few weeks :D

picture.php

picture.php

for better viewing detail/different perspective, thanks for the tip LSY ;)

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts