What's new

1 year from seed organic grapefruit

immaculate

About a year ago, on a whim, I planted an organic grapefruit seed in some "organic" miracle gro soil (more like mulch). I didn't germinate the seed, and to tell you the truth I basically forgot about it after waiting two weeks and nothing had happening. I put the container on my fire escape and left it there. I put an AC in the window and forgot about the container. A month later it had sprouted.

It's almost two feet tall now. It spent a brief amount of time under a 400W MH and I was giving it Grow Big. It's been mostly a windowsill plant but is still growing. I recently gave it two waterings with Grow Big. Seems to respond well.

Question: What do I feed this thing? Optimal soil? They're acidic, I know that. I want to keep this plant for years and years and am eventually going to make a nice homemade organic mix. What do citrus trees love?

Thanks.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
1. You want a fairly high nitrogen fertilizer that's complete. I've used maxigrow, pbp, fish meal, osmocote, all with good success.

2. I've actually had them do best in a very slightly (7.5) alkaline soil high in calcium & magnesium. Same mix I use for rosemary. They seem to have a fairly wide tolerance for pH (5.9 to 7.8 or so).

3. Moderate light, lots of love, you can prune it like crazy. If you want fruit you want to grow, grow, grow. Once you get to a size where you're producing flowers you can cut back pretty severely and still get some flowering. Dwarf rootstocks are really the way to go for indoor citrus but you can get away with creative training & pruning in a pinch.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All grapefruit kicks major ass :woohoo:

Like music to my ears! :respect:

Pics? :biggrin:

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
picture.php

Feel free to torture your tree as well to make it work for your space. I only had a small space for this one so we've been pretty abusive.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice pics!

I only have a Cannabis related one :good:

Damn fine subject matter :respect:

picture.php

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Nice and mangled. Seems to respond well to the LST.

thats actually circular pleaching. you let the primary get quite long and then bend it back down in a lazy twisting arch. Growth slows to a crawl and generally 1-2 new nodes will then try to become primary again. You select one and let it grow out and then Rinse & repeat. Once most growth has halted on the old primary I cut the wire & it stays in place. The high shade tolerance of the leaves allows for exceptionally dense productive canopies in quite compact plants. The "arch" of compressed wood in the final branches makes them shocking strong for their size.

B

bonecarver_OG

yeah the citric trees dont like too acidic soil. this is why the soil under the lemon and orange trees is kept clean of leaf and fallen fruit.

immaculate

Hey guys..its been exactly a year since I had my grapefruit..I just got it back a coule of weeks ago...it was still in the same POT! i transplanted with good soil and now its chilling...

BUT I NEED HELP! My buddy who watched it all year for me grew a sentimental attachment to it...there's a couple of shoots i think would be viable for CLONES...can i clone this citrus plant? ive read citrus clones take 3-6 weeks to root? can i do it in water with rooting hormone or does i need soil?

thanks!

B

bonecarver_OG

you can root the clones in soil, coco, rockwool or what ever u feel like. depends on u