What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

veggie gardens

I

imnotkrazy

heya cravin, early to mid-april was the majority of the veggie planting
the only tips i have on potatoes is start with good organics, till deeply, plant them 6-8" deep in the rut part of the row with dirt rails that can be caved in on them after they are 8 to 10 inches tall to raise the yield
or
raised beds
or
build a box is a cool thing i saw when searching the net, might be the best way for winter

I

imnotkrazy

superman lives, and it even appears you could travel with the garden if we get evacuated :)

imagine the caravan

supermanlives

Veteran
they used to make these sheets of thick plastic you would join together to make a ring and it had holes on the sides like a big airpot type of thing . they were for composting . they also worked killer for potatoes . and when you harvest you undo the ring and theres your taters . i ran 3. lots of taters in a small column. you can do the same thing with landscape fabric and some chicken wire or such. and while the taters are growing you just throw stuff to compost in with em. my regular compost pile has lots of taters that grow on their own

cravin morehead

Veteran
73's herb- nice!! makes dinner that much better, huh??
supermanlives- thats friggin awesome! way to make do with what you got. thanks for the tater ideas.
i think i'll do both, in the garden, like imnotkrazy says, and in a cylinder with compostables.

btw- i went surf fishing this morning. in 2 hours i got 5 barred surf perch, and 1 16" halibut (6" shy of a legal keeper). just braging a lil bit. but, everytime i go out surf fishing (try to go at least once a week), i bring home fresh kelp for the composters. around here, so-cal, you can legally harvest 10 lbs. wet with your valid fishing license. you all know the benefits of kelp to our grows, so why not get it free... you can just bury it, compost it, or make a foliar feed. to foliar it just soak a couple handfuls of kelp in a gallon of water, stirring daily for 2 or 3 days, strain it, and spray away.

looking good guys!! keep the ideas/tricks/tips coming

:headbange

cm

supermanlives

Veteran
i bring home kelp everytime i go to ob. didnt get my fishing liscence this year yet i been lazy. need to get my ever fattening ass back into my sea kayak again. gonna have to do a few kayak curls to get back in shape. having a hard time finding more red wagons . kids just dont seem to play with them anymore LOL

supermanlives

Veteran
just to clarify i aint looking to mug a kid for his wagon but you just dont see them much anymore at yardsales. thanks

cravin morehead

Veteran
ya you need to get back out there. guys have been doing pretty good yak fishing down there. im in OC and its really starting to pick up. check out this site for so-cal surf fishing. its a cool site and everyone there is real cool. theres some 'med' guys there. look at the non surf fishing reports for more info. they usually won't give up exact spots (AO's) unless you pm them.

check it out:
http://www.scsurffishing.com/

sorry if its against the tou, but it is a fishing site.

i'll keep an eye out for wagons for ya...

supermanlives

Veteran
thanks . never heard of that site . i have browsed a few for a few years . once i get my lazy asss back in gear i am ready. have kayak will travel. i reallly want to get out in la jolla but its so damn hard to find a space . got that solved this year . the other half will get a chair,radio and suntan lotion as she is disabled and has a placard. the time limits on parking if you can find is is short otherwise. i have a secret halibut spot where i can get a keeper everytime almost. been fishing it for 9 years on and off. 42 inch last time a year ago. LOL this thread is going off its tracks but if nobody complains i dont care .DAVESNOTHERE

DaPurps

Here's a pic of about half my space. I dont have much room so it's packed. The tomato on the very right is the only one not doing well.

As you can see everything exploded, a little sooner then expected.

picture.php

supermanlives

Veteran
i been thinking about replaceing my pathetic front lawn with a garden. never had much luck with corn. last run i probably harvested as much corn borers as corn. i hate them bastards. and i just got lazy and didnt spray. i dont care after a few shots tequila i eat the corn and the worms ha ha. dinner guests of my old lady dont seem to feel the same

DaPurps

Corn does well here, most veggies do. The unseasonably warm weather we have had the past few weeks has really helped things along. I grow my medicine in soil also, so all the old soil every run gets added out back.

Midnight

Veteran
Moreton tomatoes, green beans, yellow squash, zuccini and the herb. (this years garden)
picture.php

Ramapo tomatoes (last year)
picture.php

Last years corn
picture.php

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
wow!! so me and mrs. babba are the only ones who have gardens we're proud of?? thought canna gardens and veggie gardens went hand in hand!! guess not

Or the rest of ours are up front by the street and we'd rather not ID our houses quite so well ;). Any outside photo that can ID my property isn't an option.

M

Mr. Mountain

I'm growing Watermelons, Tomatoes (2 kinds), Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Basil, Rosemary and Yellow and Green peppers.

All in containers! Ranging from 5-25 gal so I can move them around. Too many trees in my back yard!

That and it helps when your neighbors see you actually growing something with all those hoses, bags of soil, 5 gal buckets etc! I get several compliments everyday from people out walking their dogs while I'm watering :wave:

Mr. M

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
I live @ 39.5* north. Average date of last killing frost is right around mothers day. This is not the first I've picked, but by far the biggest head of broccoli this year.
picture.php

I like to let it go till the tiny flower buds are just starting to open. 100% organic + lots o LOVE!
:headbange: