What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

13 alien vegetables you can find on earth

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
2.Purple Carrots

purple carrots

If Bugs Bunny was born on Pluto, he would probably eat these. This is a hybrid plant – a mix between carrots and purple haze – and is a sweet variety of carrot (like baby carrots). Believe it or not, most carrots have a purple color in the wild. Domestic crops have turned orange after generations of breeding.

LMAO at this one.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
those peppers are nuts! too bad they're fake.

im growing some of those purple haze carrots currently. i pulled one out the other day to see how they were coming along and to give some space to the others. there were spots of purple and it tasted great. i noticed some of the leaves are turning purple

30194_400719343807_708938807_411006.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

this fall im going to grow purple broccoli and cauliflower along with some romanesco broccoli.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
2.Purple Carrots

purple carrots

If Bugs Bunny was born on Pluto, he would probably eat these. This is a hybrid plant – a mix between carrots and purple haze – and is a sweet variety of carrot (like baby carrots). Believe it or not, most carrots have a purple color in the wild. Domestic crops have turned orange after generations of breeding.

LMAO at this one.

purple carrots do exist, look up bolthouse farms 50/50 fruit/veggie juice mix, it has 6 purple carrots and 79 berries in each bottle, verry tasty

V

Voodoo

Alright! See, someone else who likes the weird ish!

I've grown the purple carrots - they taste just like regular ones, if not a bit more on the parsnip side. I am currently growing purple potatoes. We're running bell peppers in "chocolate" aka dark brown, and purple ones as well.

I have molds setup for my giant pumpkins (80-140lbs) to turn them into triangles and cubes.

Chocolate mint is another to check out, looks like spearmint, smells like some kind of holiday Mocha they'd serve at starbucks.

Elephant garlic is another one thats easy to grow and is about 5 times the size of normal garlic - little less potent though.

Love the weird veggies!

s13sr20det

Veteran
nice! im growing purple potatoes also, purple majesty and adirondack blue.
picture.php

V

Voodoo

nice! im growing purple potatoes also, purple majesty and adirondack blue.
picture.php

Good looking potato bed! They'll get huge on ya, mine are about 3x3 each now lol. The slugs will become a problem as they get older, of course if the slugs get em premature, you still get half a dozen potatoes and a couple seed potatoes for next year :)

Now if I could just find someone selling tobacco cuttings or full on plants locally.. (too late in the season to pop seeds)

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
purple carrots do exist, look up bolthouse farms 50/50 fruit/veggie juice mix, it has 6 purple carrots and 79 berries in each bottle, verry tasty

Not doubting they exist, was just laughing at the purple haze reference.

s13sr20det

Veteran
well, ive been pulling some carrots lately and am a little disappointed that the colors arent as vibrant as the stock photo

carrot_purple_haze.jpg

maybe its the 95*+ days we've been having and they need cold to purple up. ive got plenty left and will be planting again for the fall instead of planting in the spring

picture.php

picture.php

taste is very good, though and i plan on growing them again whether or not they turn purple

Last edited:
E

evrchaning

I wanna grow purple carrots, and potatoes. square watermelons are just wrong, but it would fit nicely in a fridge.