What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

120 acres in upstate ny, tell me what to grow.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Is it possible to just rent the land out to a farmer. Thats what they do in my area.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Grow Pumpkins.... or anything you can harvest all at once with the least work.

Strawberries will kill you to pick them... and require too much care.

Corn is another fairly easy crop that you could grow with little maintenance.

What do others grow in your area? Talk to people in the area around you... where i used to live, rice was good to grow because we had a mill.

Rouge

I say bio-fuel plants like sugar cane, beet, and corn, if feasible at that latitude/longtitude. Lots of govt subsidies there pal. And with those subsidies, you'll clobber a lot of third world farmers. A couple of acres? Forget it. Ya gonna need help. By the way, sugar cane is 7 X more efficient than corn, etc. but US farmers insists on growing corn for biofuel. Go figure. Evil f^%&^%&g farming lobby.

geoluv

just because you're in the legal plants grow section, it doesn't mean there isnt any security risk

this is still a ganja site that leo cruise

id remove the thread... too much personal info

i have zero intention of growing anything but 100% legal plants on this farm, they can read my posts all they want. well probably be selling a few dogs to these agencies anyway. im only in this forum cause i know people in these forums know their shit when it comes to growing things.

the day medical ganja becomes legal in ny ill be first in line for the permit. but its going to be a while. new york and new jersey both have paired the "grow your own" clauses out of the medical bills that are probably going to be passed. these legislators are as greedy and corrupt as they come, it infuriates me.

at the same time i can only stand back and take advantage of this taxation black hole they have created, by selling organic veggies to them in their locally inflated market.

ROJO145

Veteran
100,000 grand a year on hay is easy,I know a couple cats doin it rite now.Im an hour west of albany,I say grow hay.If its 120 acres of tillable land try soybeans,fairly easy and they pay better than corn.They pay the farmer 2.25 a bale,first cutting will yield between 600 and 1000 bales an acre with second cutting roughly half,doesnt take much to add the dollars.Good Luck

They then take it and sellit in the city,conn,and mass for 7 dollars a bale...all year long.My one bud does the bronx zoo...more hay than ya realize is aten in the apple!

WaterWerkz

A greenhouse would be wise. Being so far north it would greatly open your options to other crops that are less temp sensitive.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
check out jatropha you can make massive amount of bio diesel from seeds. The plant yields more than four times as much fuel per hectare as soybean, and more than ten times that of maize (corn). A hectare of jatropha produces 1,892 litres of fuel.

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
120 acres is big enough for a bunch of folks to live in peace and harmony amongs the land. Co-op it and make it an oasis for canna users to come and relax.

ROJO145

Veteran
You'd be shit outta luck this year,nothins growin,so damn wet and cold its fucking pathetic!!!Cant get on the fields there so wet,any hay ya put down gets wet or dont dry(mulch) corns about 8 inches tall,vegy garden stalled,weed stopped growin,its bad outside around here...

Rouge

Banjoboy - "Alfalfa Organic of course

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
http://www.atfabuse.com"

Smoke 1 fattie too many huh Banjoboy? You sure about that title though? Sounds like the Declaration of Independence to me. According to this "holy writ", it is my right, no, my obligation to " alter or to abolish our gov and institute a new gov" because our gov have become destructive to my "pursuit of Happiness" .................. This is why democracies end up as dictatorships, sooner or later.......... just like Rome...........and that imperial Bush guy almost made me expect this sooner rather than later ............................

Last edited:
I dunno about the black walnuts. Mine are at 36 years and are not saw timber yet.

ROJO my man. For some reason I can't get a quote about you stating 1000 bales per acre 1st cutting to stick. A little rough arithmetic gets your hay numbers to 20 tons per acre on the 1st cutting alone. !! That's more than a little high, methinks perhaps you're a bit high as well ? Even if it was the best land in NY state, a really skilled farmer might get 6 tons per acre after doing 3 cuttings, 2 of those going into silage because it is, as you later state, mighty fuggin wet this year. I doubt this fellow has a high experience level just yet. If it was land capable of doing 6+ tons/acre it seems doubtful that a local farmer would let it get away to some rubes instead of snagging it for himself. Come to think of it, if it could do 6 tons of hay it would be in corn or beans as you mention since those crops give a better return.
What would I advise this guy to do ? Use the Kubota to mow the goldenrod in late August. If he still has stars in his eyes after maybe a hundred hours on the tractor he could plow up and fit out 5 or 10 acres and seed them to whatever his research indicates might work. The hay theory sounds like a lot of baloney at this point. He has a Kubota of unknown size, probably small. He'll need maybe $15,000 in hay tools without factoring in another tractor or 2. How's the hay getting to the big Apple ? Think he has a CDL and large flatbed? Or buyers ?
I would definitely advise him to sit down with an extension agent to discuss possibilities and expenses, AKA reality. Let me say that again in caps for emphasis ...SIT DOWN WITH AN EXTENSION AGENT...
I'm sorry to be such a gloomy douchebag all over this kids' dreams, but I just don't see him walking in cold and getting anything other than a too rude awakening.

St. Phatty

just because you're in the legal plants grow section, it doesn't mean there isnt any security risk

this is still a ganja site that leo cruise

id remove the thread... too much personal info

Yeah, just say it's between 1 acre and 1 square mile.

How about raising Ladybugs and Praying Mantises ?

Latest posts

Latest posts