What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$300 budget for Self-Sufficient Gardening Start

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I live in a high wind area with poor soil and bad water. I'm looking to go as self sufficient, food wise, as possible.

If you had a budget of $300 (seeds and RO machine not included) what type of system/method would you recommend for supporting 3 people.

We will not be growing any corn, tomatoes or potatoes. Some system for growing Kale, Cauliflower and Broccoli this winter would be very beneficial.

I've looked into the EarthTainer and HempyBuckets and am considering them first. Is there anything I"m overlooking?

I would love to go Hydro outdoor but don't think I'm ready for that yet. (Money wise)

Wait...What?

Veteran
I'd spend it on improving the soil and water. This is on the premise that your conditions are otherwise compatible with what you want to grow.

Take a sample of your soil to your local extension office and have it tested. They'll tell you what and how much to add.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I'd spend it on improving the soil and water. This is on the premise that your conditions are otherwise compatible with what you want to grow.

Take a sample of your soil to your local extension office and have it tested. They'll tell you what and how much to add.

Both the soil and water have arsenic in them.

I already have an RO machine lined up for the water and am looking at either researching raised bed, container growing or some sort of out-door hydro.

They hydro I have no doubts about doing, as long as it's drip or E&F. I wouldn't know where to begin on what would be the best for an outdoor though. All I've done are small indoor stuff.

To keep things simple I've been leaning more towards container growing for now. It would also keep things pretty portable.

Wait...What?

Veteran
I've done DWC/SWC, Waterfarms, and drippers&slabs outdoors. If you want something that scales, go with bado buckets, drippers&slabs, or NFT. Those methods scale well. Taking care of 50 waterfarms is too much like work, but a few rockwool slabs is not a big deal.

I grow hydro outdoors becuase the area I have available is crushed limestone gravel.

I guess then since you mention drip you should figure out how many plants x how many gph your drippers are and find yourself an appropriate pump and reservoir.

Start small and work your way up. I started with two tomato plants in waterfarms outside. This year I'll probably do 8 waterfarms, 12 plants on slabs, and maybe 4 plants in dwc.

dripirrigation.com has good prices on drip equipment if you're in the states

If you have money to spend, you can go solar - two years ago I ran an outdoor veggie drip setup where I used a few 15watt solar panels, a pair of riding lawnmower batteries, a 12v timer, and a marine bilge pump...

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Sweet :) Thanks for the input it was very enlightening. :D

I just built an earthtainer type bucket from 5gal and 3gal buckets for my beans.

Wait...What?

Veteran
Ok remember NO NITROGEN for the beans. They get N from the air and spew it out through nodules on their roots. They affix that N into the soil hence we call beans/peas et al 'nitrogen fixers'

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ok remember NO NITROGEN for the beans. They get N from the air and spew it out through nodules on their roots. They affix that N into the soil hence we call beans/peas et al 'nitrogen fixers'

Interesting. Peas the same way? (Others have said they grow well together...) Or do they only do well because the peas take up the nitrogen the beans are fixing?)

J

JackKerouac

I had $0 in my budget and improved the soil with vermicomposting. It is just tilled into the top few inches of earth. If cut with topsoil and perlite ($6 a bag), you have one of the best potting soils available.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The beans have nearly died due to winds.

I'm now looking to spend that $300 on cool-tubing my 1K HPS and using it indoor.

Just picked up a Bake-a-Round for $23$ Shipped! :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts