What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few Pepper questions

Starting a vegtable garden and this is the first time im planting peppers. So far ive got habeneros, tabascos, green bell peppers, sweet bananna and hot bananna. I also want to add some other varieties when I get a chance like chile, jalepeno and scotch bonnet(same as habenero?) and a few tomato plants. They are vegging and about a foot tall. I have mexican, jamacian and indonesian bat guano and peruvian sea bird guano and some dried blood. My soil mix is something like
2/5 jungle grow potting soil
1/5 perlite
2/5 mushroom compost
with some garden gypsum mixed in
(same for my cannabis seedlings)

I havent given them any nutes and they are all healthy. I dont know when I can start feeding them and what would be the best combonation of nutes for them.

Few questions

1) Do peppers like alot of nutrients? Should I feed them the same as I would cannabis?
2) Should I use the dried blood on my tomatos and peppers? or would the guano be best? or should I use small amounts of each? same question for my cannabis plants?
3) How big of a pot do I need for a full size plant? they are in half gallon pots right now.
4) What are your favorite peppers to grow.

Thanks in advance for any imformation you would like to share about growing peppers.

soniq

Starting a vegtable garden and this is the first time im planting peppers. So far ive got habeneros, tabascos, green bell peppers, sweet bananna and hot bananna. I also want to add some other varieties when I get a chance like chile, jalepeno and scotch bonnet(same as habenero?) and a few tomato plants. They are vegging and about a foot tall. I have mexican, jamacian and indonesian bat guano and peruvian sea bird guano and some dried blood. My soil mix is something like
2/5 jungle grow potting soil
1/5 perlite
2/5 mushroom compost
with some garden gypsum mixed in
(same for my cannabis seedlings)

I havent given them any nutes and they are all healthy. I dont know when I can start feeding them and what would be the best combonation of nutes for them.

Few questions

1) Do peppers like alot of nutrients? Should I feed them the same as I would cannabis?
2) Should I use the dried blood on my tomatos and peppers? or would the guano be best? or should I use small amounts of each? same question for my cannabis plants?
3) How big of a pot do I need for a full size plant? they are in half gallon pots right now.
4) What are your favorite peppers to grow.

Thanks in advance for any imformation you would like to share about growing peppers.

well, this is my first year growing peppers also, so I apologize that I can't give you anything terribly substantive on your tech questions.

In regards to comment on adding more varieties however, i wanted to point out 'pepperjoe's website. Just google pepperjoe. I've dealt with him and ordered a bunch of neat varieties of peppers; I'm even trying my hand at the "Bhut Jolokia", currently the hottest pepper on earth clocking in at 1,000,000+ scoville heat units ! The hottest habanero "only" clock in at 450K or so. Not sure if I'll be able to grow them as they're a more "advanced" strain, but i'll give it a shot :)

Again, sorry I couldn't give you any tech info, but I do share your pepper passion and maybe we can swap some info as things start to flesh out through the season!

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm also a pepper lover. This will be my first year growing them tho.
I collected a bunch of seeds from some scotch bonnets, so I'll be starting with those.
Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully some more experienced pepper growers will chime in.

MARLO

pineappaloupe

Hey me too! I have some Red Thais, Thai Dragon, Yellow Manzo, Bhut, Fresno's...

Is it true that they fruit based on temp changes? I live up in the mountains where our growing season is 110 days on a good year. Frost is still possible in June, no joke.
Im using the same soil mix i use already. I will need irrigation though. Might even have to mave them in and outside.
How much sun are you giving them?