What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody here into self-sufficent food growing/Sustainable growing?

marali

It's the most natural thing ever if you are part of the nature. When you're crazy and living crazy, than yea, it's crazy. Just do a research before talking shit! Those eating organic fresh food as it came from earth can compost their waste, those who process their food (cooking, baking, etc) can't.

Expertsetup, if you will give your animals stress free environment, you have nothing to worry about! Nothing! Flu only spread in industry farming, where animals are given antibiotic food, no space and no love. Same with mad cow disease. It sounds too simple, but that's the way it is.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Those eating organic fresh food as it came from earth can compost their waste, those who process their food (cooking, baking, etc) can't.

You obviously haven't read the book :D

Anyone can compost their manure.

You really ought to read the book. The link I gave is to the full book, online, for free. A very informative read.

guest3589

It's the most natural thing ever if you are part of the nature. When you're crazy and living crazy, than yea, it's crazy. Just do a research before talking shit! Those eating organic fresh food as it came from earth can compost their waste, those who process their food (cooking, baking, etc) can't.

Expertsetup, if you will give your animals stress free environment, you have nothing to worry about! Nothing! Flu only spread in industry farming, where animals are given antibiotic food, no space and no love. Same with mad cow disease. It sounds too simple, but that's the way it is.

You make a good point, when I search the web I find more detailed information supporting your statement. Like this article:
http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=437
It seems we have been given bad data from the media yet again. It's disturbing to think how many people were pushed away from producing their own eggs & meat and now have to eat the factory food.

Looks like chicken and rabbits both for me then next year. Good thing you woke me up Marali, I was believing the lie & I love farm fresh eggs.

marali

tiger, i forgot to mention that i'm aware most humanure infos tells that anyone can compost, but to me it's not logical. If i'm eating bad food i can't expect to have quality healthy compost. Same with the animals. Would you use manure from an animal fed with antibiotics and shit? Most food we buy and eat is full of this shit and IMO i wouldn't compost humanure or urine if i'm not eating well.

internet is a great source of infos! Forget tv, radio and newspaper. All lies! Because of these three things the world is as it is, fucked up.

hp1n can be all around you and your animals will not get sick if they are healthy. Same with humans, sick people can be all around, bacteria, viruses, but you will not get sick if you are free of toxins. Only if you hgave toxins in your body those bacteria will be your friends. They will start the process of cleansing. Disease is nothing more than cleansing. And what people do? They eat pills to stop cleansing aka get "healthy".

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I guess our disagreement lies in what we consider to be eating well :D

I just want people to realize that you can start composting humanure right now, without any special diet or anything. If you're going to be self-sufficient, then you have to have a safe, clean, and healthy way to dispose of unused organic matter.

Composting is the answer :yes:

john cutter

You guys should all subscribe to Mother Earth News. awesome source for this info. really cool articles and very informative.

space_cowgirl

Yes! My husband and I get more and more into sustainable living every year. We now have about 10 raised beds, planning to double that this year and add a greenhouse to extend the season. Last year, we raised 5 ducks and now enjoy eggs and compost from them.

planted1

Have a 450 gallon cistern and a 100 gal stock tank, i wanted to raise and breed Talapia or some sorta bass in. can anyone give any input on shell fish or crab type critter that would thrive in this environment. Ive got two big air pumps in it for aeration and a pump circulating water from the small tank up to the bigger one. the bottom of the tanks have cleaned pea gravel lining them about 3 inches thick, i just got everything set up i haven't found a fish I'm comfortable raising in this environment. the cistern is in the corner of my greenhouse and the tank is on the outside of the greenhouse with a bamboo trellis over it that i plan on growing hops on this summer. ill be raising meal worm and confused flour beetles and grindle beetles, as there main food source. these bugs are raised organically off food scrapes and other compost material. i think I'm going to build a box over the tank so the light doesn't grow mold on the inside, i would like to grow some sorta rice patties or something in the tanks, maybe something that doesn't need a whole lot of light???

grimcreeper

I too produce much of my family's food. Much of the stuff I learned was from my parents and grandparents. They did this way before it was called "sustainable living." Back then I think they just called it "living." Not knocking the new school. More people becoming self sufficient is only for the better.

BTW, if the US ever really does approach anything akin to the great depression, I have an opinion many will be shit out of luck. Food lines anyone? Also, on the cannabis side of things, buying weed in most parts of the US is SUCH a danger and a ripoff on so many levels. Grow yer own yall!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey there! I was just currious if there were any folks out there interested in the subject of growing all or a high percentage of your own food?
My family always had gardens growing up. I've always been upset at the low quality of food available in stores.

Since I watched "The Beautiful Truth" I've found out I was much more correct than I believed and am working towards an organic garden to do just that now.

My issue is that anything I build has to be move-able since I'll definitely be moving at some point.

I'm looking primarily into what would be most beneficial in hydro and exactly what I'll have to put in soil. I have a family of 3 to feed so it's going to be more than just a lil' tiny thing. :)

nephilthim

I have a couple roosters and 6 hens keep them away from the garden mine were pissing me off today uprooting my corn seedling after i planted them chickenwire you bastards!but I love my chickens one looks like the bird from the ambien commercial,another i nurse backed from brink of death with gatorade and survive!I don't want to think about geeking them for food,as they give me eggs peace enjoyment,they say don't bacome attached to your chickens too late I pick up my rooster,and the one inursed and scritch them.
probably the worst thing about picking one up is mites jumping on you,and hitching a ride for a free meal oh well!

Cascadia

Wooo-hooo! Been away a bit! I have Rhode island red chicks now, all grown out of their fluff, and nearly ready for a chicken coop and free ranging. Can't wait for farm fresh eggs! Or a nice fryer or two once in a while, gonna be a few years before I can start eating many though. In the meantime their super strong manure will come in handy. I'm going to build huge(I mean huge!) covered runs for the chickens, several acres worth eventually, I want the chickens to be able to forage as much as possible, to increase the nutritional value of their meat and eggs and also to keep feed costs down to a minimum.

Looks like all my bare root trees I planted in February have survived this cold winter and are blooming or leafing out. Blueberries too.

I tilled my gardens last week, I did it with a Troy-bilt Horse tiller, but I almost wish I'd rented a tractor to do my first years tilling, this virgin ground was tough and compacted in some spots, gonna need lots of cover crops and compost to get it perfect. In the meantime I should should get a good crop of veggies with the loads of Horse manure I hauled in, nicely composted and weed free.

Anyways, I should take a few pics of what I am up to..........

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You make a good point, when I search the web I find more detailed information supporting your statement. Like this article:
http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=437
It seems we have been given bad data from the media yet again. It's disturbing to think how many people were pushed away from producing their own eggs & meat and now have to eat the factory food.

Looks like chicken and rabbits both for me then next year. Good thing you woke me up Marali, I was believing the lie & I love farm fresh eggs.

We had chickens on a farm when I was a kid but then moved to a city.

I asked my mother about it and she said it was months before she could stand to buy store chicken. It was just horrible.

Hint: It hasn't gotten any better, we've just nothing to compare it to.

Personally I wouldn't grow anything from my own waste at the moment, it's still polluted with food additives and junk that I don't care to have in my soil. Since my food supply is still polluted, I'm not interested in using my waste from it. Perhaps once I finally am able to eat fully clean.

I don't even like the bags of soil with pre-mixed chicken, steer and other guano in it since I have no idea what the animals were fed. I'm putting up with it for now but will definitely be building my own soil when I get to my next house.

nephilthim

i couldn't resist I am an idiot with cams,but me roomy took these.
the two males rhode island red:big red(a.k.a. Ambien) araucana:KIng(a.k.a. rorshach).my females are aura;auraucana,miss barred;barred rock,sickly,gurgle,henrietta,big mama,and thelma,the last 5 hens are a mix of rhode island red/mexican?
the thing that I respect about animals is dominance and pecking order..sickly would have died as she was ill when i got her othrs beat her up,had to seperate her,nursed her back to health with gator aide lol and survive!then got her back on grains,feed water she is a happy almost healthy "sickly"freeranger.
we have daily egg hunts and find 4-5 a day depending on how well I'm medicated,and how well they hide them.the flock is great for my roomy who had brain injury,and suffers from memory loss along with other health issues.
she's really nice,and manages to laugh and share my humor on all things.we
both agree the flock is a calming thing much like an aquarium,they are funny to watch the hens butts look like powder puff balls,and the males due ritualistic mating dances ,and occasionally face each ther off and fight.
they were both raised from chicks together by the person I got them from,she was happy as they weren't destined for souppot along with the support of her daughter,if they get broody I plan on giving her some chicks.
check your city regs some places allow 3 hens no roosters.so you can get up to 3 eggs a day when they are in season they need 3 sq ft per bird 4 a coop
or smaller if you free range them.thats why roosters are nice they both guard the hens and no dumbass cat is gonna f with my two roosters!
the last shot is of the chicken whisperer the only two I pick without having to catch is big red and sickly..:joint:also the chickenshit feels gd between the
toes(my roomy h8s when i say that)and it doesn't hurt the plants:wink:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 17

BONUS BAG

im growing peppers and tomatos this years for the first time ever.i got green,black,an beefsteak tomatos and afew different hot peppers.

Cascadia

Tomatoes this year-

Heinz 2657(a sauce tomato)
Russian black plum(heirloom)
Medford slicing tomato(Oregon heirloom)
Brandywine slicer(heirloom)
Oregon spring(early tomato)
Stupice(Czech early tomato)

Mellons-
Fastbreak(muskmellon)
Earli-dew(Honeydew)
Minnesota midget(muskmellon)
Pasport(early & exotic green flesh mellon from Israel)
Sugarbaby watermellon
Blacktail mountain(early watermellon from Idaho)

I intend to use my gray water to water any ornamental plants around the house, the composting toilet compost will be spread in my fields, just can't bring myself to fertilize food with my waste considering the Chickens and other livestock will provide plenty.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Hey there! I do alot of veggie gardening, and my family raises its own grass fed organic beef and lamb, I need to get chickens going again though. Always done organic in the veggie garden, I especially like growing Potatoes.