What's new

Grow tent filters

I have a grow tent that's 4x8x6 feet I need to buy an exhaust fan one question was how much cfm should I get for a tent this size and second question is the holes That I leave open oh the bottom of the tent am I suppose to put filters there and if I am what kind do I get? And do I need a carbon filter for the exhaust or is that only if I don't want the smell to get out?

EastCoast710

depending on your lights.. 2 1000s or 2 600s..

u don't need a carbon filter.. but its worth spending the extra money on it just so no1 robs you. or any bullshit that comes with growing something worth money!..

but ya if u don't give a fuck or don't have neighbors far away.. or don't want the LEO to do a plant count or whatever they do.. then ya carbon filter and fan n no worries

I'm running LEDs so the exhaust is purely for fresh air purposes and do I put any types of filters on the holes I leave open on the bottom of the tents for the intake air.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I had a similar tent setup with passive air intake.

So, inside the tent, flaps open along the floor of tent. Youre doing LED but, I suppose, the air flow equation would be similar.

heres what I had

Can66 filter, on small table, inside tent, with squirrel fan on top of the 6" flange of the filter. So, the fan would pull air from outside the tent, through the vents....over the plants.....through the filter.......through the fan........through the sealed reflector/hood.........out of the tent.

If that made sense.
Ive run some STANKERS and that can66 handles all I can throw at it. Replace/Reload after 2 or 3 passes and dont get it wet.

Pros: better than a great majority of the DIYs youll come across.
ready-to-go from box. Just get the correct size flange for your setup. 6,8,10" are common.
no worry solution

Cons: Pricey
Heavy
Needs robust infrastructure if hanging from tent frame (recommended for air flow purposes.....least amount of bends in duct, the better)

Never ran LED but Id imagine the bulk of it being a heat sink is a dead giveaway about what temps its going to create.....

I have a grow tent that's 4x8x6 feet I need to buy an exhaust fan one question was how much cfm should I get for a tent this size and second question is the holes That I leave open oh the bottom of the tent am I suppose to put filters there and if I am what kind do I get? And do I need a carbon filter for the exhaust or is that only if I don't want the smell to get out?

I had a similar tent setup with passive air intake.

So, inside the tent, flaps open along the floor of tent. Youre doing LED but, I suppose, the air flow equation would be similar.

heres what I had

Can66 filter, on small table, inside tent, with squirrel fan on top of the 6" flange of the filter. So, the fan would pull air from outside the tent, through the vents....over the plants.....through the filter.......through the fan........through the sealed reflector/hood.........out of the tent.

If that made sense.
Ive run some STANKERS and that can66 handles all I can throw at it. Replace/Reload after 2 or 3 passes and dont get it wet.

Pros: better than a great majority of the DIYs youll come across.
ready-to-go from box. Just get the correct size flange for your setup. 6,8,10" are common.
no worry solution

Cons: Pricey
Heavy
Needs robust infrastructure if hanging from tent frame (recommended for air flow purposes.....least amount of bends in duct, the better)

Never ran LED but Id imagine the bulk of it being a heat sink is a dead giveaway about what temps its going to create.....

I think what you had was an active intake, what I was planning on doing was just having an exhaust fan outside the tent forcing air out from the top of the tent with some holes on the bottom of the tent open but was wondering what to cover the bottom holes with that can filter out light and bugs and stuff.

Granger2

Veteran
Phresh, with its aluminum case is not so heavy. You have 192 cu. ft., so you multiply that times the number of air exchanges you want per minute to determine how big of fan/filter you want. Allow for drag from intake filters. Check Phresh's website for intake filters which will block light. Good luck. -granger

cravin morehead

Veteran
hey super bud bros,
for light proofing your tent intakes i have been referring people to this link a lot lately:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135524

it's from here, it's showing how to make these

they are diy light trapping vent covers. they 100% work and are cheap and easy to make. I also use little vecro sticky backs (stiff side) to stick air filter material on them to filter out dust. try them, they work great. just do a little math to figure out air flow and you are set

cm