What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mother from seed or clone

I recently started a grow in a tent, I am gonna cut some clones of my plants once they're big enough. My plants started from seeds,I got some rare dankness rugburn and was gonna want to keep some mothers, I was just wondering if it's better to mother the plant from seeds or a clone off the seeded plant or does it even make a difference

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
as far as teh vitality of the cuts, it dosent really matter

but what you might find is that one or more of the plants you have are stand outs
this could be for any number of reasons, like structure, smell/ taste or high etc.

the benefit of using clones is that someone else already went through the selection process
the benefit of seeds would be that you could be that someone who gets to choose

take cuts of all your plants and see which ones are the keepers and then take more clones from those special mamas

Betterhaff

Veteran
I tend to lean toward keeping the seed plant as a mother, I don’t know how much difference it makes although it just seems to be keeping something as a “whole”. But, I’ve also kept clones of clones of clones as mothers and haven’t had any problems.

I tend to lean toward keeping the seed plant as a mother, I don’t know how much difference it makes although it just seems to be keeping something as a “whole”. But, I’ve also kept clones of clones of clones as mothers and haven’t had any problems.

Thanks because I was looking at some guys grow diaries and he said that he was gonna take clones then sex the seed plants then trash them because he didn't keep seed plants. Looked like he knew what he was doing just wondering if there was a reason for that

t99

Veteran
You can take clones from a clone with no problems, or you can keep the original seed plant as a mother, you'll have to root prune and keep it healthy.
It's easier to replace you're mother plant with a new clone mother every few cycles, though. If you do keep the original seed plant, back it up with a clone too in case you ever lose it.

GreenThumb2U2

-I have heard that life continues by dividing itself, cells, and therefore a bio form continues. Cells try to represent its earlier self. life will age because cells cannot exactly duplicate themselves. So therefore any living bio form will end itself due to the fact that cells can only divide themselves so many times.
-So therefore, by taking clone from a clone season after season(I have seen clones go for over five-7 years) you begin to have a plant that is five years old or more and has divided its cells countless of times. Eventually it will degrade.these clones become weak hollow stemmed odd colored wilted and just plain lame.
-A mother form seed will preserve the original genetics. You can slow down the mother and keep her for years in a small bush.(keeping cell division slower)
-When taking clones, they can be grown into monster trees (creating massive cell divisions)
-when taking clones from a mother you always have it first or second generation plant.
-When taking clone after clone after clone you can end up with 20 generations of the same clone
-ever watch that movie where the guy clones himself and then his clone wants to have a clone and every time the clone of the clone comes out a little bit more deformed.

-anyway that's just how I see it. so now you all can rip me a new one and tell me how wrong I really am or am I kind of close?

t99

Veteran
If you find something really special, back it up with a friend or 50, just in case. Lot of growers have a story about the once in a lifetime plant they lost!
Hope you find something you love!

t99

Veteran
Has og, cookies, chems, etc degraded? Lots of old cuts out there and only 1seed plant.
I have a pheno I've been taking cuts from cuts from for about 5 years, seems to grow same as it always has. But, I have no real science to back it, I just know I like it as much as the first time.

Thanks everyone for the input, from what I got from this is that it really is just a preference thing but to make sure I keep backup clones just Incase something goes wrong

GreenThumb2U2

-Every time a seed is planted a new genetic " roll of the dice" takes place.
-You can plant many seeds in your new grow environment. Choose the plant that works best in that environment, and you like best.
-Every new plant from seed will have unique character traits or certain qualities that make that plant different and better than the others. when you get a plant you like you clone that one.
-Then clone that plant that grows best for you and in that environment. Keep the clones in that same environment. preserving that strain.
-if you start a new room or a genetic then I would recommend starting from seeds and choosing the best plant for you in that environment. (nature versus nurture)

-Seeds can be preserved for a long time preserving that strain.
the oldest seed ever been brought to sprout was approximately 2000 years old. after it's sprouted into a palm tree it was a strain not of this world. In other words the genetics of that seed still exist yes it is a palm tree, but that strains now are entirely different.

-Plants have been crossbreed and re-breed and back breed and so on and so forth to create the strains we have today. playing around with the genetics of all the different strains to create the plants we like today. Thank you for all your hard work.

-what you think?

Floridian

Veteran
The guy that said he takes cuts and sexes the seedplant then trashes it is probably growng sog.Big seedplants can take up a lot of room.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have found very many times that a seed plant flowered is going to be a little different than the clones from the same seed plant . i've had terps disappear on the clones , growth structure totaly different etc ..... so now i grow the seedling out till sex shows , then take cuts from it to grow out & keep one untill i decide if its a keeper or not . but the seed plant is culled after i get the cuts to flower out .

Last edited:
i have found very many times that a seed plant flowered is going to a little different than the clones from the same seed plant . i've had terps disappear on the clones , growth structure totaly different etc ..... so now i grow the seedling out till sex shows , then take cuts from it to grow out & keep one untill i decide if its a keeper or not . but the seed plant is culled after i get the cuts to flower out .

Think your rite Dan cuz I grew some Skywalker seeds I got from some guy outdoors and I cut clones off one of the plants and the clones grew eat better buds than the original mother but then again idk that was my first and only grow just started my second one which is now in a tent

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think your rite Dan cuz I grew some Skywalker seeds I got from some guy outdoors and I cut clones off one of the plants and the clones grew eat better buds than the original mother but then again idk that was my first and only grow just started my second one which is now in a tent

a buddy just made a super lemon haze X GG4 & the seed plant was tastey as fuck ! lots of lemon terps ...... we grew out the clones from it & it lost a good 70% of that lemon taste .

GreenThumb2U2

Okay when choosing it may go like this:
1. Plant seeds
-in theory you can have an infinite number of seeds, just choose the plants you like best.
2. Clone the plants from step 1 that work best for you and in that environment.
-Nature versus nurture
3. Then put seeded plants to flower and sex them.
-Go back and destroy all the male clones.(sorry for the waste)
4. Grow clones from step 2 and choose the best for you in that environment and that cloned the best. And then clone these. now have Second Generation clone.
-At this step you should have all female clones that you like best, grew best and clone the best. from step 2
5. Put first set of clones to flower from step 2. and smoke'm
-this is actually the big first test which one smokes the best. And that should be your master plants.
6. Now choose the second generation clone is your best that came from step 4 This will be your set of mother plants.
-grow the second generation clone as your mother plant or
-use this set of plants for clone after clone after clone chain.

The reason this is is because clones are different than their mothers.
you should select from a clone for its growth pattern and taste and smell and flavor.

After I read over this there must be a better way.

-in other words just keep taking clones from the best plants. Do this for 5 years then start new seeds.