What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rembetis's DIY Dry sifting contraption

Rembetis

thanks for the input guys. I need some advice here. I have mostly done the water method. Dry sifting has only been on a very small scale.

These strains were from my late winter run. They were hung whole plant to dry and then a short cure. Since they were for hash I didnt see any point in curing and it was getting hot so I put it all in the deep freeze. The buds are very dry and crumble easily when stripping off of the stems.

so here is my question: should I let the resin sit before pressing it? Right now just touching it lightly is enough to make it stick together. I rolled up a small piece that stuck to my fingers and it turned dark and creamy without any effort. It seems perfect to me.
There could be a small amount of moisture from bringing it in the house from outside.
Any thoughts?

LouDog420

Looks much better quality with the new pics. I still think you'd benefit from a smaller hole size screen and shorter first run.

I prefer not to press my sift, personally.

I also do a short run like EE, just a few minutes for the first tumble. I'm not sure how your ferris wheel type mechanism for removing heads responds, but I would think several shorter runs will end up with higher grade resin. With 1 RPM motor it may be more like a 20 minute run is equivalent to a 2 minute run with a 60 RPM motor, but can't say without seeing it in action... That mechanical movement (flowers grinding between other flowers, and flowers grinding on the screen) is what removes resin, so maximizing contact time and surface area should mean higher yields. Balancing that with quality is one aspect of the art ;)

More info here, maybe it will help as you work iterations of your design: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=9019086&postcount=14

Good vibes,
LD

Rembetis

Thanks for the input. I will check out that link.

I need to find the balance point. My initial run to see if it would even work was a 20 minute run and it was clean. I removed that and then tried an hour and a half which was way more fuzzy looking. So I think you are right about the 20 minute runs. I will try that today. I only did 1 run of the Tora Bora before stopping last night. I am going to do my mod with the 150 screen and see how that goes later on today. If I get ambitious enough I will try the 124 screen too.

I wont go thru my stash fast enough so I like to press and get it sealed up well for long storage. I will keep some loose too. Maybe I will split the batches and experiment. I dont think there is to much moisture which was the main thing I was worried about

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Each strain can have different size heads from what I understand. Also can vary between inside and outdoor grown. I run mostly landrace types for hash and found it to be true with bubble. I'd have to dig for the threads but if I remember correctly Sam and others have mentioned the different sized heads.
PLease do as I would be interested with the read

I'd also like to clarify how this thing works. You could argue that it is a tumbler but it doesnt work the same. Think of it more like a Ferris wheel. The paddles pick up the material and carry it to the top where it drops off and the cycle repeats.
Mine operates on the same principle. It also doubles as a polen extractor and comes fitted with a 150m screen
picture.php

It can handle 2oz at a time. I super glued (Gorilla) paddles to each stiffener and it made a world of difference :)

When I came up with this idea I had originally anticipated that the material would drop off much sooner but watching it in action it actually goes almost all the way to the top. That is one reason I went with a slower motor. If any of you guys build one it will be interesting to compare how this thing works at different speeds.
The instructions that cam with mine said to use a low/slow speed, which of course as you have summarize, causes the buds to fall from the roof, for the lack od a better word.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have some 124 micron and 150 micron screen and have figured out a quick and easy fix to capture the stigmas. If i can find my velcro I will be in business.

Besides the Tora Bora I have Ace Lebanese lined up as well as Lapis Mountain Indica, KOS Deep Phaze and more of the Sinai.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Looking fwd on what you come up with. I also have Ace's Leb seeds, which I plan to turn the entire crop into hash :) :tiphat:
[/FONT]

Rembetis

Here is the first mod. I went with the 150 micron but used duct tape in case I want to go to the 124 micron. If it gets warm again one of these days I will just make a second one for the 124 screen.

I try to keep things simple. This slides in between the glass and baffles and rests on top of the dish. I went ahead and added baffle extensions on the mod to further guide the resin into the dish.

so this was a quick mod done in a hurry between lunch and the start of a football game. The wooden framework was to keep screen in place on the dish and aligned with the baffles that guide the resin into the dish. Now that I have had time to think about it I think the simpler solution is to frame up small screens with various mesh as a secondary filter. I have plenty of room above the glass to mount brackets so that all you have to do is slide the screen of choice into the slot.

Last edited:

Rembetis

Here is example of what I was talking about in regards to resin size.

This is the KOS Deep PHaze. It passed thru the 180 micron and was sitting on top of the 150 micron. I was able to shake the screen and get some to go thru but I had to dump most of it in to the dish.

Rembetis

LouDog,

checked out your link. We think alike. My original design was the very same that you made. I bought all the stuff. Same bins with the yellow lid and buckets with the screw on lids along with cabinet wheels for support.

Rembetis

Runs 1 & 2 of the Deep PHaze. Run 1 was an experiment. I put in whole buds rather than break them up a little. Decent yield and the quality is very good.

Run 2 the buds began to break up and the yield went way up. It is a Deep Chunk hybrid so no surprise on the yields.

I had to stop due to warm temps but will resume with the Ace Lebanese in a few days.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
nice work & good job with your own made dry sifter pollinator ;)

Rembetis

Thanks guys. Switcher, I keep licking my fingers after I handle the resin forgetting what that will do to me later on. I keep unintentionally getting high

Last edited:

Rembetis

sifter is churning it out! Upper left are 3 Lebanese Blondes. The 3 reds are Deep PHaze and the bottom two greener looking are Tora Bora from TRSC

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Would running it under freezing conditions make a finer hash?

I love the design, and you do great workmanship.

Rembetis

Captions added.

I have been running it with temps anywhere from 15f to 30f. One run got up to 42f but I didnt see any difference. Changing mesh size would probably be the best option for finer Hash. I dont see any problems with it so far. I may add the brackets for a secondary screen but after running it for awhile now I dont see that I need it.

Regarding the stigmas in the Sinai, I picked up a tip from Frenchy. He mentioned waiting for the stigmas to fall off before harvest. I never thought about that so on future grows I will watch for that to happen. Sinai was the only one I had issues with and it was easy enough to clean. I have a set of smaller silk screens so I dumped it on the 150. Took just a few seconds to clean it up. I didnt try to separate any further but for you guys that like to do that I think the machine puts out a good starting product

Last edited:

JCF

I was able to find your posts, at least these. Still learning my way around and finding the right "clicks" to make. Has anybody ordered a hash tumbler yet?

JCF

Got a second?

Got a second?

Rembetis-
What a great idea. I have started my own tumbler and would like to ask for your input.
I am estimating the diameter of your wheel at around 18" and understand you are turning one revolution per minute. I have a motor which would speed things up a bit, to the tune of 6 RPM. So, if you could speed this up a bit or slow it down which direction would you go?
I hope to get some pics out soon. Thx, jc

Rembetis

Rembetis-
What a great idea. I have started my own tumbler and would like to ask for your input.
I am estimating the diameter of your wheel at around 18" and understand you are turning one revolution per minute. I have a motor which would speed things up a bit, to the tune of 6 RPM. So, if you could speed this up a bit or slow it down which direction would you go?
I hope to get some pics out soon. Thx, jc

My wheel is 15" diameter. That was the about as big as I could go with the wheel in that cabinet. I left room between the wheel and the cabinet so I could do a mod if necessary if the velcro clean out flap didnt work out. The mod uses studs and small wing nuts so you would need and inch or so if you wanted to go that route. Another option was to make a hole in the side of the wheel and make a cover out of the thin masonite or a piece of plastic.

6 rpm is what some of the other tumblers come with. Run time is going to be the difference with a faster motor. You will have to experiment to see how long to run it. On one of Bubblemans videos the first run was an hour and the second was 3 and the third went 12 hours if I remember correctly and that was with the 6 rpm motor and one of Bubblemans tumblers. I didnt get any green coming thru on my 12 hour runs and there wasnt much resin left. I ran the material thru my bubble bags to see if there was anything but I didnt get enough to bother with it.

JCF

Thanks. That is encouraging. I will go ahead and start with the 6 rpm. I'll also try and incorporate a design to change-out with a rotisserie motor if there is a need to slow down.
I appreciate you getting back with me. jc

Latest posts

Latest posts