What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have been doing some experimenting using maltodextrin to make rosin water soluble and mixing it with different liquids. Been working out really well.

The major difference is that the edibles are absorbed by your body as D9 THC just like smoking (that may not be a 100% correct statement.) But, regardless.... The onset is almost immediate and the buzz lasts only a couple hours or so.

If you are a 'medicator' and you 'medicate' with 'cannabis', this is probably not for you. You want longer lasting pain (or whatever) relief so you're better off with oil based edibles.

I am a stoner and I love to get buzzed on pot. Especially edibles. And, those of you who have read my prior posts know the trouble I have because of tolerance and bioavailability. Well, this method has been the most effective edibles I have EVER done.

YMMV but for what I am looking for, this is pretty close to the top of the line. It's not 100% water soluble (yet) and it is not 100% tasteless (yet) but I am on the path and this stuff is the most effective, most tasteless and easiest method of edibles I have ever encountered.

There are several patents covering the process and materials. One is held by Ed Rosenthal and (I think) Frenchie Cannoli.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some links and some pics of my results so far. Basically, all you need is rosin (or whatever oil concentrate), maltodextrin and a sifter. That's it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 135

Tincandtoke

I use malto-dextrin with infused bacon grease to make bacon powder
Right now I'm working on a simple syrup and experimenting with powders/crystals for mixing into food and beverages
I'm going to try sorbitol, modified food starch, and an acid for my powder
Psychedelic Sam on grass city is working on this, you should contact him
About to start my eleventh attempt on a syrup video, this may be my last attempt

Tincandtoke

Also, I water cure and may try some celite 545 and activated charcoal to filter to eliminate ate as much of the taste as possible
If you ever need someone to run experiments with lmk
Check out https://modernistpantry.com they have a lot of info and videos

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It's actually been around for a while. Ed Rosenthal and (I think ) Frenchey Cannoli have a patent on it. I saw a commercial product called "Ripple". Tasteless, odorless, water soluble and I had to have it. Being in a shithole state, I can't buy so I have to make.

I read a few patents from Traite Biosciences, Ed's and a few others. Traite used fermentation for their commercial products. I have had some success with using cannabis caramels to ferment apple cider. Worked fucking awesome. I currently have 2 other fermentation tests running.

The maltodextrin is, by far the easiest DIY method I have found so far. And, cheapest.

@Tin, I am working with Sam right now over at grass city. We were having conflicts in weights and measures until I determined we were using different types of maltodextrin. Duh. LOL Sam is awesome with this. I think it's his regular poison. Soon to become mine.

I have searched long and hard for a tasteless cannabis that I can mix with my drink of choice. This maltodextrin is not a 100% effective method. But, it has put me on the path.

I also tried using the malt extract that I use to make beer and it worked just as well. So, I am going to mix some cannabis oil with that malt. And, then use that malt to brew the beer. I'll have a batch in the fermenter by tomorrow.

For someone like myself with tolerance issues and a gag reflex for the taste of cannabis, this is a godsend.

This is by far the most tasteless method I have found. Even better than caps because I don't get the canna burps. LOL

EDIT:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016135621A1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190085347A1/en

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0046639.html

https://stillwater.life/

Tincandtoke

Those patent applications are great for info
Sam showed me how to use them and gave me links

Have a peach sorbet that has some background flavor and made a mango puree and will reduce some coconut pineapple juice for the next video/sorbet

Going to turn my attention to filtering to remove the taste
I would like to follow along and run my attempts with Sorbitol
Contacting modernist pantry about some issues I am having with the syrup and carbonation (diluting and mixing all ingredients cold, maybe?) Frustrating, waiting to hear back about gum ratios, made quite a mess with my experiments, instant snot gummies

Hopefully some pics of the syrup going in the blender and some products I have made, just learning all the different task bars on the sites

Gry

It's actually been around for a while. Ed Rosenthal and (I think ) Frenchey Cannoli have a patent on it. I saw a commercial product called "Ripple". Tasteless, odorless, water soluble and I had to have it. Being in a shithole state, I can't buy so I have to make.

I read a few patents from Traite Biosciences, Ed's and a few others. Traite used fermentation for their commercial products. I have had some success with using cannabis caramels to ferment apple cider. Worked fucking awesome. I currently have 2 other fermentation tests running.

The maltodextrin is, by far the easiest DIY method I have found so far. And, cheapest.

@Tin, I am working with Sam right now over at grass city. We were having conflicts in weights and measures until I determined we were using different types of maltodextrin. Duh. LOL Sam is awesome with this. I think it's his regular poison. Soon to become mine.

I have searched long and hard for a tasteless cannabis that I can mix with my drink of choice. This maltodextrin is not a 100% effective method. But, it has put me on the path.

I also tried using the malt extract that I use to make beer and it worked just as well. So, I am going to mix some cannabis oil with that malt. And, then use that malt to brew the beer. I'll have a batch in the fermenter by tomorrow.

For someone like myself with tolerance issues and a gag reflex for the taste of cannabis, this is a godsend.

This is by far the most tasteless method I have found. Even better than caps because I don't get the canna burps. LOL

EDIT:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016135621A1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190085347A1/en

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0046639.html

https://stillwater.life/
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may not vote on any more threads today.
[/FONT]

Benefits of maltodextrin

Maltodextrin is a cheap and effective food product that can improve the texture, taste, and shelf life of foods.
Many athletes and people who want to gain muscle or body weight use products containing maltodextrin as it is a rapid source of energy.

Last edited:

Im'One

I gotta try this...with my Tashkenti plants that give plan relief. On
The other hand I have an gorilla glue mix with GSC that tastes like coffee.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
@Tincandtoke If you want flavorless, one retail company starts with distillate instead of rosin (or whatever full spectrum extract you're using). If you can get distillate where you are, you might try that.

I also want tasteless but I don't want to lose whatever the terps add (besides bad taste).

Once I get it close, I'll mask the remaining taste with candy flavoring or some other relatively strong flavor.

I took another dose today. I took the remaining 3 doses, combined them and cut them in half. So, I am taking 375 mg of rosin or (if 80% is accurate) about 300 mg. I took it about an hour and a half ago and I'm not really feeling anything yet. I'll check back later.

@poprocks Dry sift should work. Decarb it first. Then, mix it with oil and then the maltodextrin. Unless there is a way to extract from dry sift. Could probably do an oil infusion and then strain out the remaining dry sift material. for a cleaner oil.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
TIP: Not all maltodextrin is the same.

My first purchase was... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084D45DBH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My second purchase was... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3HL6VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The later being referred to as, "Tapioca Maltodextrin". The first was simply called "100% Maltodextrin" with no stated source.

My recipe calls for 5 grams of maltodextrin. The first maltodextrin I bought was about ONE tablespoon for 5 grams. The second TAPIOCA maltodextrin was FOUR tablespoons for the same 5 grams. Huge difference in volume per gram.

I don't know if it is because of the source used to make it or because of the process used but the second stuff was WAY "fluffier" than the first.

Just a heads up for you when you are buying maltodextrin.

I have not had a chance to do much comparison testing yet but I am assuming the second purchase of the TAPIOCA maltodextrin is going to work better. So far, they seem about the same. However, I just got the Tapioca today and only used it once.

Peace

PsychdelicSam

if you dont have rosin would this work with dry sift hash/keif?

/brilliant work btw guys!

It works with any oil so I recommend extracting into your favorite oil such as mct, coconut or any other after decarbing. That will remove any grit/plant material.

I find that it lasts quite a long time and is very effective for pain and other issues. Combined with the fast onset of the maltodextrin it's the best of two worlds.

For anyone interested in how it's done here's a simple video I made about it. It's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEp8puuwlc

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey Sam, what's up bud. Sam knows all about this stuff and has been helping me out over at grasscity.

:)

Gry

It works with any oil so I recommend extracting into your favorite oil such as mct, coconut or any other after decarbing. That will remove any grit/plant material.

I find that it lasts quite a long time and is very effective for pain and other issues. Combined with the fast onset of the maltodextrin it's the best of two worlds.

For anyone interested in how it's done here's a simple video I made about it. It's worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEp8puuwlc

Neat as can be, thank you !

PsychdelicSam

Hey Sam, what's up bud. Sam knows all about this stuff and has been helping me out over at grasscity.

:)

I don't know all about it, either. Still learning like you on this one.

This experimenting is the kind of stuff I like to do and I like to see it catch on with others in the community and not just one forum. Comments are different and you never know when you'll run across a gem. :tumbleweed:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Lesson for today: Don't forget the lecithin. LOL Really made a difference.

My last test batch was 1/2 gram of rosin, decarb'd (240F for 40 min). Added 1/2 tsp of liquid lecithin. That's about 2.5 grams of lecithin. Heated to 170F for about 10 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. This really blended well. I let it sit overnight to check for separation and there was zero overnight. Very nice.

I mixed this with about 3 grams of the tapioca maltodextrin. This was about 3 or 4 tbsp. About 1:1 oil to malt, by weight. Sam likes 5:4 oil to malt. I think Kitty goes 5:4 also.

I put half (about 2 tbsp) in my coffee and I was pleasantly surprised to NOT see an oil slick on top. Without the lecithin, it mixed pretty well with hot coffee but the oil slick always rose to the top and you got most of the dose (and the bad taste) in the first few sips. With cold water, it was worse.

However, once lecithin was added to the mix, it went kaboom in hot coffee with no oil slick. Not so well in cold water but... we didn't expect it to.

I purposely left out the coconut oil this time because I wanted to see the direct effect of the lecithin.

Another total surprise... I got a pretty nice buzz for about 2 hours. And, since that was about half my normal dose, I was pleasantly surprised.

So, always remember.......

Attachments

• lecithin.jpg
    lecithin.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 63