What's new

HLG 550 heatsink measurements for DIY

I’ve got all the parts to build two 550s but can’t find a heatsink or an aluminum board to mount the QB’s on. The only thing I can find is the Slate 6 on the HLG site which has all the QB’s going sideways next to each other. I’m trying to set it up identically as the 550 from HLG.

Thinking about using MIC 6/Alcoa 5 in a quarter inch thickness and cut out to 19.75 x 26 inches. I have access to a machine shop and was wondering if anyone could give the measurements for all the M3 threads for the QBs to have all the cutting done in a CNC machine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tomasson

Giving the fact that it has been an year since you've posted your question, I assume that you've already made a decision, and I would like to hear what did you.

roybart

Tnutz.com has a bunch of aluminum extrusions and you can order custom length and custom tapped thread sizes

GoatCheese

Veteran
Nobody really needs a metal work shop to make M3 threaded holes for them. All you really need is a hand held power drill, a 2,5mm metal drill bit (always a slightly smaller drill bit than the thread tap) and a M3 x 0.5 metric thread tap.

Sure you need to pay attention that you’re holding the drill straight! ..and you make the drill hole on the right place but that’s really it. Aluminium is soft metal so it’s easy to saw/drill with hand tools.

metric-tap-drill-chart.jpg