What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Genetically Modified Crops Are Safe, Report Says

igrowone

Veteran
this could be fun, posted over on CNN, some will say it's all lies
if so, given some details and counter evidence

Genetically Modified Crops Are Safe, Report Says

by Maggie Fox

Genetically modified crops on the market are not only safe, but appear to be good for people and the environment, experts determined in a report released Tuesday.

But the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine are not just asking people to take their word for it. They're putting the evidence up on a website so skeptics — and they know there are plenty of them — can check for themselves.

"You can't just continue to have an opinion without backing it up with data," said Fred Gould, distinguished professor of entomology and co-director of the Genetic Engineering and Society Center at North Carolina State University.

"Part of our approach here was to make this not just a report," added Gould, who chaired the expert committee that released the report. "This is all on a website. We hope that this report will open a conversation, not make some kind of a proclamation."

It's aimed not only at regulators, industry and other experts, but at the general public, as well.
""You can't just continue to have an opinion without backing it up with data.""

"They really want somebody to say this is good or this is bad, we came to the conclusion that making any sweeping generalizations about genetically engineered crops is not appropriate," Gould told NBC News.

Perhaps surprisingly, given the huge debate over GMOs, only two types of genetically engineered crops are in wide use - one engineered to carry genes from a common bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt for short) that kills insects that eat it, and one that makes crops resistant to weedkillers.

But more than 90 percent of corn, soybeans and cotton grown in the U.S. is genetically modified.

"The committee delved into the relevant literature, heard from 80 diverse speakers, and read more than 700 comments from members of the public to broaden its understanding of issues surrounding GE crops," the report reads. Panel members read more than 900 reports.

"It was tiring but worthwhile, because it really brought to our attention a lot of studies we would not have looked at," said Dominique Brossard, chair of the department of Life Sciences Communication at the University of Wisconsin.

"Our process was really, really inclusive and attempted to address as much as possible the concerns that were raised by public comments."

A lot of concern centered on health effects. "The committee received a number of comments from people concerned that GE food consumption may lead to higher incidence of specific health problems including cancer, obesity, gastrointestinal tract illnesses, kidney disease, and such disorders as autism spectrum and allergies," the report reads.

"The committee also examined epidemiological data on incidence of cancers and other human-health problems over time and found no substantiated evidence that foods from GE crops were less safe than foods from non-GE crops."

Their conclusions:

There is no evidence of large-scale health effects on people from genetically modified foods
There is some evidence that crops genetically engineered to resist bugs have benefited people by reducing cases of insecticide poisoning
Genetically engineered crops to benefit human health, such as those altered to produce more vitamin A, can reduce blindness and deaths die to vitamin A deficiency
Using insect-resistant or herbicide-resistant crops did not damage plant or insect diversity and in some cases increased the diversity of insects.
Sometimes the added genes do leak out to nearby plants - a process called gene flow - but there is no evidence it has caused harm.
In general, farmers who use GM soybean, cotton, and corn make more money but it does depend on how bad pests are and farming practices.
GM crops do reduce losses to pests
If farmers use insect-resistant crops but don't take enough care, sometimes pest insects develop resistance

Outside experts said the report was thorough.

"I would certainly hope the report will reduce public concern about the safety of GE foods," said Ruth MacDonald Chair of the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at Iowa State University.

"This is yet another document that adds to the long list of those that have reached the same conclusion that there is no evidence that GE foods are a risk to human health."
""They can look to see if something we reference is funded by industry.""

David Stern, president of the Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research at Cornell, said the report will not end the debate.

"The report will provide fodder for friends and foes of GE, because each conclusion is accompanied by caveats," he said.

Related: GMO Salmon Ruled Safe to Eat

Gould said now people can look up the facts to answer their concerns. "Up until now we have been arguing in a content-free environment," he said.

And the report likely will not end arguments that all the experts are tainted because they work with companies that stand to profit from selling GM foods.

"Unfortunately, we can expect charges of industry bias in the Academy, even though this panel specifically sought input from well-known anti-GE activists," said Alan McHughen, a geneticist at the University of California, Riverside.

"The academy came under criticism (by academics including me) for engaging such non-experts with little or no scientific expertise, but that criticism now seems misplaced," McHughen added. He said it was important to listen to and to then rebut arguments.

And Gould said all the vested interests are revealed on the website. "They can look to see if something we reference is funded by industry," he said

zeet

Veteran
yeah of course they say they're safe. There's a lot of bs out there...stick with organics my friends.

FireIn.TheSky

Ok ok ok they are playing on ignorance here. Perhaps the plants them selves in their natural form are safe but the Glyphosate that is sprayed all over these GMO plants is not.

GMO plants have been genetically modified with the DNA of Roundup resistant soil bacteria, so the entire field can be hosed down with Roundup aka Glyphosate and everything except for the GMO plants will die.

Pay close attention, you will see a new trend sweeping the nation, a lot of additives, colorings, preservatives are all of the sudden being removed from food items, the people have spoken they want cleaner food and corporations are scrambling to get in line after their sales are suffering. Take it one step further and demand organic food, you can remove all of the additives you want but the crops are still polluted with herbicide, pesticide and fungicide.

Organic food is the fastest growing industry in the world, organic food sales is growing exponentially, there is a reason for that. You are what you eat, garbage in, garbage out.

corky1968

Veteran
GMO's can phuck off.

Glyphosate usage to kill all the other plants around GMO crops = monocultures = more plant pests and disease in the long run.

I can wait to plant a few tomato plants next month guerrilla style on a forested mountain top.
I'll show you what natural gardening is all about.

igrowone

Veteran
Ok ok ok they are playing on ignorance here. Perhaps the plants them selves in their natural form are safe but the Glyphosate that is sprayed all over these GMO plants is not.

GMO plants have been genetically modified with the DNA of Roundup resistant soil bacteria, so the entire field can be hosed down with Roundup and everything except for the GMO plants will die.

some GMO's are used with roundup, but not all
the BT crops are 1 example
can we tar all the GMO's with the same brush?
i'll put it this way, fear is not evidence, fear is not proof
i'm wary, not chowing down on GMO, or avoid it as best i can
however, i'll follow the evidence and adjust my viewpoint if the science seems sound

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the shit very well may BE safe, but...if it is, why do they spend millions fighting to keep from labeling it as such? if it is so wonderful, why not use that as a selling point instead of forcing folks to fucking guess what they are eating? if they don't WANT the shit, why hide it?
enquiring minds want to KNOW...

FireIn.TheSky

A genetically modified tree is probably fine, albeit I don't like the idea of our natural species being threatened by cross pollination by unnatural lab created species that would not ordinarily exist.

I dont necessarily believe that most GMOs are not used in conjunction with Roundup, they are marketed and sold as a set, you get the seed, feed and weed killer, this is the premise, total control over the agriculture industry.

Now couple this with patented genetic markers in the GMO seed and you will see a scary scenario brewing. Don't believe me, there was an article published just the other day about how Monsanto wants to set up labs all over Argentina to montior for the use of their patented plants so they can charge royalties to any farmer caught using them without proof of purchase.

Also, look who is publishing your "evidence" is Monsanto or friends of Monsanto producing the evidence, and forget our governent sponsored evidence, Monsanto is in bed with our Government, we have monsanto operatives at every level including the Supreme Court. Laws are written to protect Monsanto, this is not fiction this is fact, in fact it was so boldly named "the Monsanto Protection Act".

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran

GMO plants have been genetically modified with the DNA of Roundup resistant soil bacteria, so the entire field can be hosed down with Roundup aka Glyphosate and everything except for the GMO plants will die.

Pay close attention, you will see a new trend sweeping the nation, a lot of additives, colorings, preservatives are all of the sudden being removed from food items, the people have spoken they want cleaner food and corporations are scrambling to get in line after their sales are suffering. Take it one step further and demand organic food, you can remove all of the additives you want but the crops are still polluted with herbicide, pesticide and fungicide.

Organic food is the fastest growing industry in the world, organic food sales is growing exponentially, there is a reason for that. You are what you eat, garbage in, garbage out.

Organic foods cannot supply the demand, plain and simple and will never be able to....

Organic farmers STILL use pesticides and fungicides, dont get it twisted....

FireIn.TheSky

Organic foods cannot supply the demand, plain and simple and will never be able to....

Neem or pyrethrine vs ROund up, which one do you want to eat?

I find it total BS that organic food cant produce, infact I just bought strawberries last week that were the size of an apple, and they were organic, I dont think I have ever seen a convetionally grown strawberry so big.

Orangic food cannot feed the population, well thats funny, how do you think all of the food was grown before the agricultrural revolution? For thousands of years organic methods were enough to feed our population.

Let me tell you something about organic growing, you have perfect brix, you have strong plants thats cell walls are stronger and resist pest naturally.

Chemical plants = unhealthy plants, low in sugars and soft cell walls, bugs flock to soft celled "unhealthy" plants. You cannot convince me, I have been studying organic agriculture for a decade, any argument you have I will poke full of holes.

I know this is hard to conceive for a guy like you, you're the type that blasts his plants with known carcinogens, sorry I will never take you seriously.

krunchbubble

Veteran
Not sure why everyone is crying about GMO's, when they have been eating GMO's for years and haven't even realized it...

90% of all corn and 94% of all soy is GMO...

I remember a study saying the typical American is 70% carbon, from corn...

Someone EXPLAIN TO ME why GMO's are bad. Why do YOU in particular hate them, you consume it now....

Most people who I ask this question to, without a computer in front of them to give em answers, are just following what they have heard from people and cant give a reason except "what they heard"...

igrowone

Veteran
a rather grim reality is it is probably not possible to feed 7 billion+ people organically
at least, that's not how's it done now
if you can do it all organic, that would be great
nitrogen may be the fundamental bottleneck(?) total organic nitrogen fixation just can't do it, maybe
but hey, all the goalposts are moving, shit changes from year to year

krunchbubble

Veteran
Neem or pyrethrine vs ROund up, which one do you want to eat?

I find it total BS that organic food cant produce, infact I just bought strawberries last week that were the size of an apple, and they were organic, I dont think I have ever seen a convetionally grown strawberry so big.

Orangic food cannot feed the population, well thats funny, how do you think all of the food was grown before the agricultrural revolution? For thousands of years organic methods were enough to feed our population.

Let me tell you something about organic growing, you have perfect brix, you have strong plants thats cell walls are stronger and resist pest naturally.

Chemical plants = unhealthy plants, low in sugars and soft cell walls, bugs flock to soft celled "unhealthy" plants. You cannot convince me, I have been studying organic agriculture for a decade, any argument you have I will poke full of holes.

I know this is hard to conceive for a guy like you, you're the type that blasts his plants with known carcinogens, sorry I will never take you seriously.

Its hard to debate someone who thinks their "opinion" are facts...

You REALLY think Organic growers only use Neem and pyrethrine? That alone kinda shows I cant have an intelligent debate with you...

Have fun yo...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

That is dependent on cert program and farmer. Even the least restrictive certification requires you have 5% or less than EPA allowable residues. Also no sewerage or irradiation.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/18735/an-introduction-to-organic-certification-requirements
“Organic production” is defined by the regulation as “a production system that is managed … to respond to site-specific conditions by integrating cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity.”
In simplified terms, the National Organic Program standards require:
For crop farms

• 3 years (36 months prior to harvest) with no application of prohibited materials (no synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or GMOs) prior to certification;
  • distinct, defined boundaries for the operation;
  • proactive steps to prevent contamination from adjoining land uses;
  • implementation of an Organic System Plan, with proactive fertility management systems; conservation measures; and environmentally sound manure, weed, disease, and pest management practices;
  • monitoring of the operation’s management practices to assure compliance;
  • use of natural inputs and/or approved synthetic substances on the National List, provided that proactive management practices are implemented prior to use of approved inputs;
  • no use of prohibited substances;
  • no use of genetically engineered organisms (GMOs), defined in the rule as ”excluded methods”;
  • no use of sewage sludge or irradiation;
  • use of organic seeds, when commercially available (must not use seeds treated with prohibited synthetic materials, such as fungicides);
  • use of organic seedlings for annual crops;
  • restrictions on the use of raw manure and compost;
  • must maintain or improve the physical, chemical, and biological condition of the soil, minimize soil erosion, and implement soil building crop rotations;
  • fertility management must not contaminate crops, soil, or water with plant nutrients, pathogens, heavy metals, or prohibited substances;
  • maintenance of buffer zones, depending on risk of contamination;
  • prevent commingling on split operations (the entire farm does not have to be converted to organic production, provided that sufficient measures are in place to segregate organic from non-organic crops and production inputs);
  • no field burning to dispose of crop residues (may only burn to suppress disease or stimulate seed germination – flame weeding is allowed); and
  • no residues of prohibited substances exceeding 5% of the EPA tolerance (certifier may require residue analysis if there is reason to believe that a crop has come in contact with prohibited substances or was produced using GMOs).

FireIn.TheSky

Its hard to debate someone who thinks their "opinion" are facts...

You REALLY think Organic growers only use Neem and pyrethrine? That alone kinda shows I cant have an intelligent debate with you...

Have fun yo...

I don't deny facts, I agree with your facts about percentage of crops being GMO, I get that.

I don't see how anyone that does not grow organically can feel they are such an expert on organic methods.

Plant based pesticides, bacteria, beneficial insects, etc... etc.. are examples of organic methods. Even at their worst any form of organic pest managment is better than the utter trash they are feeding you on non organic food.

For someone to understand organics could take years, it takes me minutes to google a chemical and pull the MSDS, 2 minutes and I know how bad something is.

I could go on for days about the horrible shit that is hiding in your food well beyond the stuff used to grow it. I will spare you as there is no convincing someone like you, you have endless ego and a tremendous lack of understanding.

corky1968

Veteran
I wish teams of private investigators all around the World would follow these Monsanto GMO people around for a month or two.

$20 says you would see them buying organic non-GMO foods.

Wouldn't that be a news story in itself?

FireIn.TheSky

I dont know about you guys, but I always wear a hazmat suit when I tend my garden.

212-020-Gazette-1-CMYK.jpg

sprayingcrops-1100.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts